Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

I'll be honest, I'd never heard of Monchi when he joined. Done good things in the past but people mentioned didn't do great at Roma. Luiz going doesn't sit well with me though I get the PSR side of it. I hope the hyperbole of stuff like "let Monchi cook" etc plays out by the end of the season as far as we're tracking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'll be honest, I'd never heard of Monchi when he joined. Done good things in the past but people mentioned didn't do great at Roma. Luiz going doesn't sit well with me though I get the PSR side of it. I hope the hyperbole of stuff like "let Monchi cook" etc plays out by the end of the season as far as we're tracking. 

Letting him run his contract down would be better?

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Mate, you keep saying this but you and we have no idea of the structure of that offer/deal and the payment plan. They could have been offering a pittance up front and the rest in instalments that would’ve taken a long time or even been conditional. What if he twerks for another move in Jan or next summer and we miss out on funds or there is another delay there?

We don’t know better than the management or recruitment team. If a deal doesn’t make sense or isn’t good enough, I’m happy that we aren’t going ahead or being taken for a ride. That’s happened a lot in the past because we’ve had idiots in charge in the past, that’s no longer the case.

Trust in the club, trust in the manager - they deserve it and know what they’re doing and that’s a hell of a lot more than us.

Why should we sell anyone on the cheap or be in a rush to do so? Any deal has to suit us first. It’s wise to extract the most out of sales that we possibly can and then use those funds to help strengthen the team.

If we know we can get better or more, why not hold out for that rather than undersell? We have time and probably more interest in the player too… they know what’s going on, we don’t.

Its widely reported by alot sources in the press it was 30m with add ons and the west ham youngster. My point is this - if that was the offer i think it was a good deal for us.

Obviously if it was something like 20m with adds on then yeah i can see why it was rejected. Dont think anyone is paying  the reported 40m fee for him.

2 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

People are worried about our lack of goals in the States, but we only played our 3rd, 4th and 5th choice strikers so far in preseason. We have also been lacking our best defender and goalkeeper, whilst focusing on having a mix of youth and experience on the pitch at any one time. We put out our strongest eleven so far for the first half yesterday and they didn't concede and hit the post twice. I'm not particularly concerned.

Well pointed out, we’ve also had Digne and Dendoncker at CB. The “serious” friendlies begin when we get back I should think, hopefully a new signing or two can be involved in them and we’ll look stronger, better and more cohesive.

Yesterday’s midfield 4 looked like a strong, physical lineup.

We’re also a completely different team with Emi in it and, last season, Konsa was our best player at defending. I would really like a superior backup GK and a dependable CB to be signed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its widely reported by alot sources in the press it was 30m with add ons and the west ham youngster. My point is this - if that was the offer i think it was a good deal for us.

Obviously if it was something like 20m with adds on then yeah i can see why it was rejected. Dont think anyone is paying  the reported 40m fee for him.

Doubt many would be privy to the structure and we often see wildly varying figures (see the Diaby transfer). It could have been 5-10m upfront with further instalments spread by 6 monthly or yearly intervals, again - who knows? The club is better placed to judge than us clowns.

And also, if they don’t think that 30m is enough or worth the value and potential of the player then I’m inclined to agree with those experienced and professional people rather than VT posters who know nowt in comparison. If we can get 40, good. I’d rather wait then.

Don’t think we should be criticising for criticising’s sake.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Doubt many would be privy to the structure and we often see wildly varying figures (see the Diaby transfer). It could have been 5-10m upfront with further instalments spread by 6 monthly or yearly intervals, again - who knows? The club is better placed to judge than us clowns.

And also, if they don’t think that 30m is enough or worth the value and potential of the player then I’m inclined to agree with those experienced and professional people rather than VT posters who know nowt in comparison. If we can get 40, good. I’d rather wait then.

Don’t think we should be criticising for criticising’s sake.

Im not looking at criticising for criticising sake. Im just looking at it a view that the season starts in 2 weeks duran doesn't want to be here so if the alleged offer was made it seemed good and we can get a replacement in before season starts.

We are not signing another striker unless archer or duran is sold.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villan95 said:

Tielemans, McGinn and Barkley can all do this

Tielemans can but fitness etc. SJM to me is always better pressing further ahead. Generally if he's infront of back 4 he's most effective backing in and winning free kicks to slow the game down when we need it.

Long time since Barkley was dictating play at a top level prem club, pretty much a decade ago now. He's just cheap squad cover.

We'll just have to be patient. The Luiz we signed in 2019 was not comparable to the one we saw in 2023 so need to apply the same criteria to Barrenechea and even Onana.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Unai and Monchi him have a long standing relationship and Monchi has been lauded and hailed for many, many years. It’s a big coup for us. The Roma move was a bad one with difficult owners, a lot of interference and managerial change.

He’s only here because Unai wanted him and he can work according to his brief. It’s probably the best appointment we could have made.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not looking at criticising for criticising sake. Im just looking at it a view that the season starts in 2 weeks duran doesn't want to be here so if the alleged offer was made it seemed good and we can get a replacement in before season starts.

We are not signing another striker unless archer or duran is sold.

Ok mate, I don’t want to argue. Let’s just see what happens, hopefully we receive an offer that is more to our liking and a deal gets done.

I haven’t looked into it but there is stuff on the Duran thread including a podcast vid/clip from “itk” Hammers fans who have discussed it and criticised their club for messing us around and reneging on agreements rather than the other way round. He could still end up there but I believe there could be at least 2 other interested clubs, including from Saudi.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tielemans can but fitness etc. SJM to me is always better pressing further ahead. Generally if he's infront of back 4 he's most effective backing in and winning free kicks to slow the game down when we need it.

Long time since Barkley was dictating play at a top level prem club, pretty much a decade ago now. He's just cheap squad cover.

We'll just have to be patient. The Luiz we signed in 2019 was not comparable to the one we saw in 2023 so need to apply the same criteria to Barrenechea and even Onana.

I think he can do far more than that in the position. I'd probably start the season with Onana-Tielemans but if it's not working I'd have no hesitation about using McGinn there.

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Ok mate, I don’t want to argue. Let’s just see what happens, hopefully we receive an offer that is more to our liking and a deal gets done.

I haven’t looked into it but there is stuff on the Duran thread including a podcast vid/clip from “itk” Hammers fans who have discussed it and criticised their club for messing us around and reneging on agreements rather than the other way round. He could still end up there but I believe there could be at least 2 other interested clubs, including from Saudi.

Na mate no bother not arguing with you just friendly debate 🙂

You raise good points. Guess we will see how it unfolds when window closes!

Edited by Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Na mate no bother not arguing with you just friendly debate 🙂

You raise good points. Guess we will see how it unfolds when window closes!

Good man 👍

We will sort it, Dw.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â