Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

10 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

So now you’re comparing Luiz to cowans? That’s the most ridiculous “opinion” I’ve heard yet.

No, he isn’t comparing Luiz to Cowans. Can you read?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I mean if you’re going to judge a player over a select period of time and call them over rated, you really should factor in their whole time at the club. 

You browse these forums, I’m in no doubt you’ll have seen the numerous posts highlighting Doug’s stats for us, I have no need to search through to find them. 

Been excellent for us for 85% of the time he was here. 

So no stats then. Just your opinion and then you just make up a random 85 percent basis - hilarious 😆 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

My view is that he is one of the most overrated players we’ve had at Villa park. Solely because he took penalties.

Even after Kamara got injured he never truly played that role. He always (abjectly) shared it with the other double pivot. 

Quite a bit of revisionism going on there. Luiz's passing in the final third was proper elite level stuff. As good as Onana might turn out to be - I can't see him replacing that aspect of our play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Go back a few pages and there were a stream of tweets from Jas I believe. 

Doug created the most chances, most passes, most key passes, most progressive passes etc. during Emery's tenure.

All of that was because he took penalties apparently...

Dougie was class, he had so much technique, guile and creativity. I hope we can replace his chance creation and tenacity in the team, but him going definitely weakens us. Onana is promising though, a different profile but seemingly capable of filling a gap in the base of our midfield. 

• Like 3

He’ll be far bloody better than Luiz in 85 percent (read the thread) of everything else. 

Luiz got how many assists again last season? 5 in the league and that’s with so many set pieces. I’d describe that as proper crap for a top 4 team as opposed to “proper elite level stuff”.

Onana will probably match Luiz assist output alone. 

29 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

So now you’re comparing Luiz to cowans? That’s the most ridiculous “opinion” I’ve heard yet.

No, I didn’t do that. 

17 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

So no stats then. Just your opinion and then you just make up a random 85 percent basis - hilarious 😆 

On 01/08/2024 at 20:03, Jas10 said:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Why is this thread full of a player we already sold?😂😂😂

Because the president of the Alisha Lehmann fanclub holds a grudge is my guess.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Of course he did. He implied that Luiz is under rated as cowans was. Can you read?

Nope, not at all. Didn’t even mention Luiz. 

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

You’re absolutely entitled to your view. I know people who thought Gordon Cowans was overrated. It’s a game of opinions, even if some are unusual.

There’s no comparison at all.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Here's a whole stack of stats that I posted on the Dougie thread.  It's a FBref comparison of him and McGinn but it clearly shows how important Doug was for us last season.  Onana's a different type of midfielder and so I'm not sure how valuable it will be to compare his stats for the coming season with those of Dougie last season.  I was gutted when Luiz left.  Ideally I'd have loved to see Luiz and Onana play together this season - I think they'd have complemented each other really well (and even more so when Kamara became fit and available too). 

Onana's arrival has reduced my concern over Luiz leaving quite a lot - I think our midfield has more balance now than it did at the end of last season (especially with Enzo as well).  But half the issue is that Doug spent the last 5 months of last season not playing his best position - saying he was **** is not far off moving Ollie to RB and then moaning that he's not very good there.  Playing McGinn for 5 months in that role would have been a disaster.  That's not intended as a slight on McGinn - just recognition that McGinn is a MUCH better player higher up the pitch.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Because some how it seems he's become the best midfielder of all time and we'll never be able to find one better or have a midfield as good without him in it ever again.

In short... We are doomed.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â