Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I agree generally but think we’ll get fourth.  Our starting XI has basically only changed with Onana swapping for Luiz and the rest of the team being the same.  You can also swap in Maasten which is likely but our first XI numbers wise hasn’t changed much.  Our alternatives have of course changed with Diaby leaving and his goal involvements but generally we’ve strengthened elsewhere.  I don’t believe our competition have improved significantly so fourth still seems a reasonable prediction imo.  

The reason I think we might drop a couple of places is because I think the CL will have an impact due to it bringing additional intense matches midweek.  We've improved our squad depth but it is still a tough ask for a team / players that aren't used to playing as many "big" matches in a short period of time.  We'll be much better placed next season when our younger players have more experience from this season and a year to "gel".  Of course a couple of signings could change things significantly.  But we're working on a 3 year plan not a 12 month plan.  Of course another fourth placed finish would be awesome and hopefully we can continue to disrupt things at the top. 

Edited by allani
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

He gave us zero control from feb onwards and was the player that the club decided was most dispensable. We were physically dominated every single time a team decided to rough it up so I totally disagree. I think as long as we score most of the penalties that Dougie took we are already better in the first XI and definitely stronger as a squad. 

This was probably more to do with the fact that he had to cover for the loss of Kamara who was injured in February

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

It strikes me, there are some “pigs in pokes” kinda deals flying around, where clubs are trying to liquidate assets with big reputations, who have become non productive.

we need to be careful of this “ Quicksand”

big reputations can be misleading and “ old hat”

We need to be on our guard.

To say we had our fingers burned during the Gerrard regime is an understatement. Think think the leadership we have in place now have the expertise not to be impressed by names or reputations.

17 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Oh ****. Poor Dougie had to play 10 meters deeper and wasn’t that so bad…..

Basically showed he’s a sunshine pony and that’s why the club specifically earmarked him for the PSR sale. 

I dont disagree - but i suspect this was the reason why he was less effective from Feb onwards

Listening to the video I wonder if we'd of sold Duran in June when West Ham were given the price of £30 million, would we of sold Dougie 🤔

3 hours ago, TRO said:

It strikes me, there are some “pigs in pokes” kinda deals flying around, where clubs are trying to liquidate assets with big reputations, who have become non productive.

Yep. Got to be very careful catching falling knives.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think you are referring to Jao the anointed, rather you are offering a general warning.

However, where he is concerned, you do have to reserve some doubts if we do sign him, irrespective of Unai's incredible abilities.

The thing I have as a vague thought lurking in my noggin is that our Lord and Master has always thrived when making something add up to more than the sum of it's parts and I don't think that is Jao's problem.

He's just lost his mojo. As such, it's a different task he has on his hands. With Jao, he's not making a previously 'good' player reach new excellence, he's nursing an ego to rekindle the old excellence.

Has that worked for him at the big clubs he's had? I didn't follow his pre Villa career to know, but you have to wonder because everyone says he's better at making smaller things and people bigger.

It will be fun finding out... hopefully. I'm all for Unai getting what he wants, generally speaking!

Edited by Lerner's Driver

43 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Never seen a more protected species than the without Kamara lesser spotted Dougie. 

There’s no weirder view than thinking Doug can’t play without Kamara. The issue is he had to play Kamara’s position because we didn’t have another option. It’s like if Bailey was injured, Watkins moved to the right wing, and people said “well he’s not playing as well as he was up front is he, he needs Bailey to hold his hand.” 

Pretty sure he’ll do fine at Juventus without Kamara. But I do agree I’ll miss having them as the best CM pairing in the league outside Man City for a big chunk of last season.

• Like 3

My view is that he is one of the most overrated players we’ve had at Villa park. Solely because he took penalties.

Even after Kamara got injured he never truly played that role. He always (abjectly) shared it with the other double pivot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

My view is that he is one of the most overrated players we’ve had at Villa park. Solely because he took penalties.

Even after Kamara got injured he never truly played that role. He always (abjectly) shared it with the other double pivot. 

You’re absolutely entitled to your view. I know people who thought Gordon Cowans was overrated. It’s a game of opinions, even if some are unusual.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The stats disagree with you 

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

You’re absolutely entitled to your view. I know people who thought Gordon Cowans was overrated. It’s a game of opinions, even if some are unusual.

Yep we all have a wildly left field view of a player and some have that for Dougie despite his quality and I’m sure I have a player that I view differently to the overwhelming majority.  Dougie was one of my favourites and I think we’ll miss him but each to their own views.  I never thought Alan Wright was any good and I know that was against the grain at the time, weird views happen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

So now you’re comparing Luiz to cowans? That’s the most ridiculous “opinion” I’ve heard yet. Next season will tell all and I can guarantee no one is going to miss feb onwards Luiz. 

8 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

The stats disagree with you 

Which stats? Please share these amazing non penalty post January 2024 stats when Luiz went missing when half his job wasn’t done for him by Kamara and he was needed the most. 

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Which stats? Please share these amazing non penalty post January 2024 stats when Luiz went missing when half his job wasn’t done for him by Kamara and he was needed the most. 

I mean if you’re going to judge a player over a select period of time and call them over rated, you really should factor in their whole time at the club. 

You browse these forums, I’m in no doubt you’ll have seen the numerous posts highlighting Doug’s stats for us, I have no need to search through to find them. 

Been excellent for us for 85% of the time he was here. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â