Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Had a quiet chuckle to myself reading the last few pages.

A full England international CB coming to Villa to be a squad player lol.

If there is any truth to the matter at all (I doubt it) he would be coming in to partner Konsa at CB while Torres would be benched. Torres isn't quick enough to play in a high line or have enough physicality to deal with a high ball. That was clear last season!

Get real guys.

😂😂

This guy honestly rates Marc Guehi more than Pau. 

Stop trolling

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I got shot down when I suggested our defence was bang average last season. Then got told that any team in the top 5 would kill for our options 😂😂😂

Quite right.

You think our defence was average? Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

I got shot down when I suggested our defence was bang average last season. Then got told that any team in the top 5 would kill for our options 😂😂😂

Dunno much about that but I do think we have good players and not all of the blame can be put on the defenders or CBs alone. We conceded many goals from set pieces too, it’s not just the defenders who have to defend… and they need protection in front of them too. To be relieved of a certain amount and regularity of pressure…

Hopefully, we’ve addressed much or some of that weakness by adding some height and physicality.

Different factors to consider, not a simple or clear cut analysis.

Losing our best (and only real or suitable) DM in Kamara was a blow. We suffered the occasional heavy defeats which, arguably, distort that total value (5-1 vs Newcastle in first game, where we lost Mings to severe injury, and 5-0 on the last day vs Palace). Relatively heavy defeats to Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs & Newcastle again. Although we managed a few thrashings of our own like vs Brighton & West Ham and several more impressive performances & results. No matter what anyone says, getting 4th and CL was a feat and great achievement that should be lauded.

But there are certainty areas for improvement. Besides the cast offs, we don’t have any bad players (which is wonderful and makes a major change from many seasons of the past) that are regularly involved. There is plenty to admire and appreciate.

Hopefully, we won’t suffer as much when injuries (hopefully less and no severe ones), suspensions and fatigue hit this time around and in the future. Squad has been boosted… let’s see if we can further strengthen that first 11 by the time the window has closed.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So many people on here think our defence is poor but think Torres is the best thing since sliced bread. We'll continue to ship goals if we play defenders who aren't very good at defending. 

Having onana as a bit of bite in the.middle would hopefully see defensive errors.

As much as we did look ropey at the back. I think this was down to lack of defensive prowess from the midfield and the squad was on its knees last 10 games of the season.

I think we will be better but we should look to be better at defending 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You really think Emery is going to bench Torres? Cloud cuckoo land if you think that.

That’s where trolls live…

do not feed…

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i havent been involved in any Guehi chat, but Emery quite literally loves Pau Torres, so there is zero chance anyone is coming in to replace him in the starting 11.

I wouldnt pay 70m for him even if he was a starter tbh, might be a good player, but its terrible value, a bit like Maguire for 80m, he is a decent player, but that England tax is absurd for what you get.

Nothing more absurd than the English tax… steer clear and bring through your own and/or recruit from lower leagues where there is value to be found…

Major value and talent out there, that’s why we have Monchi - to find it and bring it in. Not to waste money and overspend on overrated and overly expensive players.

-

starve the troll, don’t feed it 👍

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

Don’t forget, Pau now has a season of PL football under his belt. He’ll be better defensively next season I have no doubt

Now we’re talking 💪

He actually did really well considering it was his first season in a new league and country and having to adjust to a new language and lifestyle. The best is yet to come…

Poss CB id like us to for go for is Diomande from sporting.. Jan Paul van Hecke from Brighton impressed me last season when I watched them play but the Brighton tax means better value elsewhere no doubt. 

I think any signing may be leftfield Monchi & co magic kinda unknown . 

6 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Having onana as a bit of bite in the.middle would hopefully see defensive errors.

As much as we did look ropey at the back. I think this was down to lack of defensive prowess from the midfield and the squad was on its knees last 10 games of the season.

I think we will be better but we should look to be better at defending 

Exactly this, our lack of steel and “leakiness” was not just down to our defenders. Most of the team has to take responsibility for the most part… we know Unai has analysed and identified everything, it’s about addressing that and it seems like we’ve gone some way to doing that but not completely… yet.

• Like 1

Part of the reason we were successful last was because of Pau Torres ability on the ball and passing ability, yes we conceded a lot of goals but Pau is integral to how we play.

We also conceded a lot of goals in one off games that were already lost, Spurs we shipped 4, Newcastle 5 etc., 

The numbers alone don't tell the whole story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Konsa and Pau are ace, top players. Different players have different attributes, Pau has already been transformational (and he is obviously Unai’s guy, one of the most valued players we have) for us but the players have to supplement each other’s qualities and shortcomings. It’s about getting that balance right. An individual player cannot do everything alone…

We also have the world’s best GK.

Would be amazing if Ty can play a big part and be back to his best but… we really could do with an extra, high quality option at CB. Especially if Carlos leaves.

The team has to be better at defending as a whole and I think it will be. Onana’s really going to help.

24 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

😂😂

This guy honestly rates Marc Guehi more than Pau. 

Stop trolling

That’s mild for him… don’t indulge or feed him. I highly recommend the ignore feature.

• Haha 1

I get that Pau is loved by Unai, his vision for a pass is crucial to our style. I also don’t think it’s off the mark to say defensively he has not been outstanding. Hypothetically, if a player existed who could function similarly to Pau in the build up, while also providing a bit more defensive nous/strength & aerial prowess, I think the team would benefit greatly. This is why I wasn’t a fan of bringing in Hermoso, going forward i think he could be useful, but defensively I think he possesses some (possibly more) of the same shortcomings we’ve seen from Pau. I’m hopeful Pau will be more settled this season and will improve those aspects, but I also do believe we would benefit bringing in a more resolute defending cb to augment what we have now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Part of the reason we were successful last was because of Pau Torres ability on the ball and passing ability, yes we conceded a lot of goals but Pau is integral to how we play.

We also conceded a lot of goals in one off games that were already lost, Spurs we shipped 4, Newcastle 5 etc., 

The numbers alone don't tell the whole story.

For whatever reason no-one turned up for the Palace game either.  There's not a lot you can take from that match in terms of applying any conclusions to other games other than maybe ensuring that the awards night either takes place AFTER the last league match or that no-one goes on a complete bender before a match that had just become meaningless in terms of our league position.

• Like 1

Bit surprising?

Can we add someone else to that list? Whether from the current crop or a new signing or two?

Edited by Jas10

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Bit surprising?

Can we add someone else to that list? Whether from the current crop or a new signing or two?

Think Felix got 1 in 4 for a shit Chelsea so he wouldn't be far off I don't think

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Could we move if we sell Carlos? Or is this pretty much done, a matter of time? Envious of Juve’s business…

He has said he only wants Juve apparently, that’s why nobody else has gone in for such a talent.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â