Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Carlos seems to be wanting out, which puts us in a slightly awkward position - we're light at CB anyway, and especially with the doubts over Mings coming back from injury, reaching an age where that's a concern and going into the last year of his contract - with Carlos potentially looking at the exit, it means we're going to need two, and maybe three CB's over the next twelve months. 

Monchi and his team will no doubt be acutely aware of the difference in the market for a buyer that looks desperate and one that doesn't, we could do with getting one CB in as soon as we can to reduce that possibility and give us a better footing in the market - there's a danger that CB could become our achilles heel.

I haven’t followed pre-season, but has Feeney played much? Gut feeling he’ll be integrated for playing fairly regularly in a couple of seasons.

(Edit: could see him getting cup games this season tbh)

Edited by bobzy

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I haven’t followed pre-season, but has Feeney played much? Gut feeling he’ll be integrated for playing fairly regularly in a couple of seasons.

Feeney looked out of his depth against Columbus Crew.  He is slower than Pau, and given the high line we play, we can't play Feeney and Pau together against decent opposition.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Carlos seems to be wanting out, which puts us in a slightly awkward position - we're light at CB anyway, and especially with the doubts over Mings coming back from injury, reaching an age where that's a concern and going into the last year of his contract - with Carlos potentially looking at the exit, it means we're going to need two, and maybe three CB's over the next twelve months. 

Monchi and his team will no doubt be acutely aware of the difference in the market for a buyer that looks desperate and one that doesn't, we could do with getting one CB in as soon as we can to reduce that possibility and give us a better footing in the market - there's a danger that CB could become our achilles heel.

Would need an experienced replacement (back up/rotation) but possibly also means RB becomes more pressing (much as I think Cash has been a great servant to the club)?

12 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Feeney looked out of his depth against Columbus Crew.  He is slower than Pau, and given the high line we play, we can't play Feeney and Pau together against decent opposition.

It’s a friendly though. Feeney needs more experience so I imagine another loan will do him good. There’s a lot of potential there. I think he needs to get used to physical side of things and is still learning to adjust to Unais high line. 

There is no chance that we sell one of our best players for PSR reasons, to then sign Lukaku, a 31-year old on very high wages and no resale value.

Unless the fee is £5m and he wants £50k / week.

Edited by jacketspuds
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Quite a few outlets running this one including in Italy, has to be BS.

Of course it’s BS, he isn’t coming here as second choice.

his wages wouldn’t fit at all either 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

He has been linked to a move to League One on loan

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

The Dougie deal was/felt like a necessity because of the PSR deadline and potential repercussions/punishment and possibly a couple of other factors (did he want to leave? Wouldn’t sign a new contract? Was it his and Lehmann’s dream move? Etc.).

Whereas the Diaby deal was more of an “opportunity”… very unlikely to get that interest or money from another club or league anytime in the near future, a boost to our finances and opportunity to bring in a more suitable player for the role he was being asked to do. He may very well have clamoured for the move too and there were reports that he was upset when he lost his place on the starting 11… but it felt like something that was more of a choice rather than having to do it or it being enforced.

Agree with Dougie, I think the location vs Switzerland probably played into things on that side to 

I want a CB that's quick, good in the air and obviously good with the ball and generally great at the defensive stuff. Shouldn't be hard to find for a small fee.

Would have liked us to have signed Huijsen as a project and a more senior CB for the here and now. Think this might be the last season here for both Carlos and Mings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TDR V2 said:

Lukaku is too old now, plus his wages would be high. We can do younger and better.

Watch him arrive now

He's not too old, he's basically the ideal profile of what we need from a cover striker except for the astronomical wages. We need a proven veteran who has done it before, will be OK with not being the main man and will do a job when asked. 

We don't want another situation where we have a younger player who will be sitting on the bench and having his development stymied like Duran. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

I want a CB that's quick, good in the air and obviously good with the ball and generally great at the defensive stuff. Shouldn't be hard to find for a small fee.

Yes, agreed.  There must be loads of them too, to be honest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Would have liked us to have signed Huijsen as a project and a more senior CB for the here and now. Think this might be the last season here for both Carlos and Mings.

I'd love us to go for David Hancko but the downside to that would be another left footer, aside from that I think he has the attributes we lack at CB

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's not too old, he's basically the ideal profile of what we need from a cover striker except for the astronomical wages. We need a proven veteran who has done it before, will be OK with not being the main man and will do a job when asked. 

We don't want another situation where we have a younger player who will be sitting on the bench and having his development stymied like Duran. 

I'm fairly confident Lukaku would not come to Villa to be a cover striker. He would expect to be the main main where ever he goes. 

5 minutes ago, RichW said:

I'm fairly confident Lukaku would not come to Villa to be a cover striker. He would expect to be the main main where ever he goes. 

Lukaku has had such a weird career, man. If you told me he played for Chelsea, I'd say 'sure'. If you told me he played for Napoli, I'd say 'I know'. If you told me he played for Inter, I'd say, 'thought so'. If you told me he played for Al-Hilal, I'd say 'I know he does'. If you told me he played for Roma, I'd say 'Yes, I know'. 

He seems to play for everyone and no-one all at the same time. He's a bit of a joke in all honesty. Still stand by my opinion of yesteryear that he wasn't on the same level as prime Benteke. 

Dusty, fat old baller.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RichW said:

And explode our wage structure into the bargain. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Unfortunately i do not see anyone in this side that brings what dougie does in his position. Youris good but he doesnt have all those key skills you mentioned that luiz bought to us. Also he gets injured alot so if he is injured what do we do? We got ramsey but again he seems injury prone. 

I think there is abit of a imbalance in our cm. We seem to have too many defensive players

It’s not a concern, I’m sure Unai has a clear plan.

We had too much of a soft centre, both in midfield and defence. We’ve tinkered with the team or balance now to add some sorely needed physicality and steel.

Those creative and attacking abilities and that load will be shared amongst more players, while we now will be harder to dominate or overcome centrally. Onana is going to help massively and will be developed and improved but we have several options now, unlike last season.

What we have addressed is a lack of options or alternatives…hopefully, we are not hit as hard or so badly affected if a player gets injured or suspended. And maybe we can counter fatigue with some form of rotation and keep players performance levels up, for the most part.

I suspect the next phase of our recruitment is bringing in a few players, if the deals are feasible and reasonable, that make our 11 stronger. More additions like Maatsen and Onana rather than Barkley, Iling-Jr, Philogene for example.

We’ve got to get in a CB or two and I think we will bring in someone who can excel in that 10/CAM/SS position.

Can’t be so sure or confident on RB (we have options, Nedeljkovic could be better than anticipated too) but if we at least bring those two in, I think we’ll be in a really good place. It’s just about adjustment and getting the players to gel then… we have almost a whole month to complete our business.

Edited by Jas10

17 minutes ago, wict01 said:

I'd love us to go for David Hancko but the downside to that would be another left footer, aside from that I think he has the attributes we lack at CB

He is off to Atletico apparently

I don't rate Diego Carlos but if he does go we will need 2 new defenders. 

I'm quite happy for that to happen but I want the players to come in before Carlos is sold, I want them to be a few years younger than Carlos, and I want them to be better than him.

So far no links to any defenders of note and Felix has gone quiet again. The Lukaku link is bizarre, he'd be a fantastic sub option for us but I don't think there's any chance he'd accept that role. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â