Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm quite sad we let Luiz go, he was perhaps the best midfielder I've seen us have, his technique and passing was world class and he had that ability to dictate play. I think our build up play and possession will suffer quite much, on top of that his assists and his smart passing leading to assists and also his set pieces can't really be replaced.

Perhaps he wanted to go to Juve and perhaps that was on the cards for a long time, but otherwise in hindsight I would just have taken the Diaby money and kept Luiz. If we used some of the money from the other outgoings to bring in Onana a midfield pair of Luiz and Onana would have been world class.  

Odd when the bloke next to him is better than him.

Also, not a patch on Barry. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Random link just popped up on Google saying we’ve agreed terms with Chelsea for Lukaku. Has to be bullshit right?!

Duran swap.

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Do people not see that Emery created this version of Luiz and this version of Bailey, Watkins etc. Two years ago I would have shrugged my shoulders at any of them leaving.

I.e. it isnt a problem if you sell one of them because you create those players again. 

Its actually good to sell one of them a year as it paves the way to create many more. 

I don’t disagree with you… and have pointed out the same. Unai takes players to new levels… but that includes new players that we sign too.

Like… ahem… Felix?

😆

We may lose players but we then have to bring in new ones, because some (if not all) of the existing ones cannot always replace what we’ve lost. And many have other/different duties or roles.

I’m not concerned, it’s all about Unai and as long as he is happy.

Edited by Jas10

6 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Sky Sports Italy running the Lukaku to Villa story. Wouldn't just open a Lukaku thread yet! Didn't this story do the rounds last year too?

Quite a few outlets running this one including in Italy, has to be BS.

4 hours ago, turvontour said:

Do people not see that Emery created this version of Luiz and this version of Bailey, Watkins etc. Two years ago I would have shrugged my shoulders at any of them leaving.

I.e. it isnt a problem if you sell one of them because you create those players again. 

Its actually good to sell one of them a year as it paves the way to create many more. 

I'd also argue he now has and will bring in more players with higher ceilings/starting points than previous to " create " and improve.

He has had players, some more limited than others, playing to their absolute peak imo.

I'm probably most gutted about Kellyman going at this point if I'm honest 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just reading the last few pages of this thread, and I'm just enjoying riding the wave of a Transfer Window to be honest :D :D 

There'll be some flops, some unreal signings, some sad departures (dougie 😢), some wanted departures (naming no names). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Are we worse than how we ended last season? Kamara wasn’t there for the second half of the season. 

And let’s also not conveniently forget how abysmal Luiz was in the second half of the season.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

And let’s also not conveniently forget how abysmal Luiz was in the second half of the season.

To be fair he played in a different position. But it’s a fact that the whole team regressed.

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

Yea on reflection, losing Luiz was pretty much criminal. Especially as we ended up selling Diaby to Saudi anyway. It’s going to ruin our entire identity and system of play, will take ages to sort. 

BTW you cant compare the 2 deals like that, Luiz had been with us for alot longer so was almost a pure profit situation where as Diaby only joined last year so profit margin lower so in reality Luiz or someone like that (Could of been Kammara if fit) had to go to get that margin in 

Carlos seems to be wanting out, which puts us in a slightly awkward position - we're light at CB anyway, and especially with the doubts over Mings coming back from injury, reaching an age where that's a concern and going into the last year of his contract - with Carlos potentially looking at the exit, it means we're going to need two, and maybe three CB's over the next twelve months. 

Monchi and his team will no doubt be acutely aware of the difference in the market for a buyer that looks desperate and one that doesn't, we could do with getting one CB in as soon as we can to reduce that possibility and give us a better footing in the market - there's a danger that CB could become our achilles heel.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Could be way off, but I feel I've seen potential " Doug" qualities in Barrenechea 

Not so sure, different types. It’s a shame Dougie had to fill in defensively so often, was never “unleashed” and his attacking potential wasn’t realised until Unai came in. And we all saw how he thrived, especially with Bouba at DM and allowing him to show his best form and ability, showcasing his true qualities.

Whereas Enzo is that defensive player and can probably/potentially do what Bouba can… although we need to see how he does against proper opposition in proper, competitive matches. Does seem to have composure and a good passing range (it’s already been apparent or obvious that he’s better for us than someone like Dendoncker) but is he as mobile and can he carry the ball as well as Bouba (he really is great at that, maybe an underrated quality of his)? And intercept as well and as often?

The question is who can bring Dougie’s delivery, chance creation, goal threat, class/flair/composure on the ball and set piece ability… not to mention his reliability (regular minutes, no injuries, consistency for the most part, availability)? Much will be expected of Youri…

I do think we’ll spread that out a bit and, again, put more onus on the forwards (especially the 10) to create and attack while the midfield base is strong and hard to dominate or contend with. A different approach that may reap dividends…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Carlos seems to be wanting out, which puts us in a slightly awkward position - we're light at CB anyway, and especially with the doubts over Mings coming back from injury, reaching an age where that's a concern and going into the last year of his contract - with Carlos potentially looking at the exit, it means we're going to need two, and maybe three CB's over the next twelve months. 

Monchi and his team will no doubt be acutely aware of the difference in the market for a buyer that looks desperate and one that doesn't, we could do with getting one CB in as soon as we can to reduce that possibility and give us a better footing in the market - there's a danger that CB could become our achilles heel.

If that’s the case, no doubt that it increases the urgency for defensive reinforcements. It’s where we are most lacking anyway (despite Unai’s comments, I don’t think we can be sure or confident about Mings’ return and reliability. Wonderful news to have him back and hopefully he can play regularly, but it’s very much a wait and see and a big ask.) 

With only two reliable (and quality) options in Pau and Konsa… we have to prioritise reinforcements in that department. Defence was our weakness last season… must be addressed.

Would be nice to get someone top class or with that sort of potential.

Things don’t always go to plan or as easily or smoothly as we would like (would be nice to have most new signings involved early in preseason) but we still have a good amount of time to do our business… integration may be a challenge but Unai will find a way to manage it.

Sure there’s plenty of business to be done yet, both on sales and incomings.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

BTW you cant compare the 2 deals like that, Luiz had been with us for alot longer so was almost a pure profit situation where as Diaby only joined last year so profit margin lower so in reality Luiz or someone like that (Could of been Kammara if fit) had to go to get that margin in 

The Dougie deal was/felt like a necessity because of the PSR deadline and potential repercussions/punishment and possibly a couple of other factors (did he want to leave? Wouldn’t sign a new contract? Was it his and Lehmann’s dream move? Etc.).

Whereas the Diaby deal was more of an “opportunity”… very unlikely to get that interest or money from another club or league anytime in the near future, a boost to our finances and opportunity to bring in a more suitable player for the role he was being asked to do. He may very well have clamoured for the move too and there were reports that he was upset when he lost his place on the starting 11… but it felt like something that was more of a choice rather than having to do it or it being enforced.

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd say the club are happy to sell him but nobody wants him which is understandable given his wages, injury record, ability level and age. We've a few players we want to move on but if nobody will buy them then we can't bring in any replacements either 😕  

27 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not so sure, different types. It’s a shame Dougie had to fill in defensively so often, was never “unleashed” and his attacking potential wasn’t realised until Unai came in. And we all saw how he thrived, especially with Bouba at DM and allowing him to show his best form and ability, showcasing his true qualities.

Whereas Enzo is that defensive player and can probably/potentially do what Bouba can… although we need to see how he does against proper opposition in proper, competitive matches. Does seem to have composure and a good passing range (it’s already been apparent or obvious that he’s better for us than someone like Dendoncker) but is he as mobile and can he carry the ball as well as Bouba (he really is great at that, maybe an underrated quality of his)? And intercept as well and as often?

The question is who can bring Dougie’s delivery, chance creation, goal threat, class/flair/composure on the ball and set piece ability… not to mention his reliability (regular minutes, no injuries, consistency for the most part, availability)? Much will be expected of Youri…

I do think we’ll spread that out a bit and, again, put more onus on the forwards (especially the 10) to create and attack while the midfield base is strong and hard to dominate or contend with. A different approach that may reap dividends…

Unfortunately i do not see anyone in this side that brings what dougie does in his position. Youris good but he doesnt have all those key skills you mentioned that luiz bought to us. Also he gets injured alot so if he is injured what do we do? We got ramsey but again he seems injury prone. 

I think there is abit of a imbalance in our cm. We seem to have too many defensive players

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â