Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

3 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Do we have a stronger squad but weaker starting 11? 

I think we’re really going to miss Dougie dictating play. Seem to lack a bit of creativity that he had too. 

I think Villa won't miss him at all. Apart from one pass from the outside of his foot he created next to nothing and was too easily overwhelmed by physicality!

Although Villa have signed several players there is still a distinct lack of CL quality in the squad.

Still need a quality no.2 keeper, a midfield playmaker, a domineering CB, a RB and a striker if Duran leaves.

Anything less won't be enough!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think those who are saying we have a weaker starting 11 are somewhat right. I think we are a little weaker until Bouba comes back. 

But for me, we have a significantly stronger squad and that will matter this season. It should mean we can deal with injuries better and also we should be able to deal with domestic cups a little better too. 

Anyway back to the point of this thread I think we will get at least another attacker (Duran/ Diaby replacement) and a right sided defender. Either a centre back or a right back that allows us move Konsa back to the centre. 

Are we worse than how we ended last season? Kamara wasn’t there for the second half of the season. 

4 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Are we worse than how we ended last season? Kamara wasn’t there for the second half of the season. 

Possibly not but we didn’t show top 4 form in the second half of the season.  

15 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

No I think we are a bit better. Onana and Enzo give us something extra in midfield. Tielemans and Barkley covers a lot of the what we lose with Doug gone. In think Jaden and Iling cover Diaby and Maatsen is a top quality LB. 

We have kept our essential players in Emi, Bouba, Pau, Konsa, Bailey and Watkins. 

I think we’re a top class 10 and right sided defender away from another top 4 finish with a bit of luck on injuries to key players. 

• Like 2

We have solidified our midfield, making it more robust and resilient. Hopefully, it will mean we concede a less goals… we’ve added physicality and options.

We have not replaced the creativity or level of chance creation though… at best, it’s a wait and see on that. Maybe some of the players can step up to a degree but it’s doubtful whether an individual can…

A creative 10 could possibly be our man in that sense and possibly take over on set pieces duties too.

The squad is better but I don’t think it’s wise to be complacent about our players, especially the younger ones (inc even Rogers and Bidace), and their ability to step up and fast. We did brilliant to finish 4th but were embarrassingly dumped out of the domestic cups and didn’t really do ourselves justice in Europe either… CL is a big leap. Unai wants us to get better, not worse… and CL isn’t intended as a one off.

However, we still have a good amount of time left in the window and I expect at least 1 defensive reinforcement and 1 attacking one to join… Monchi will have been and will be very busy and active until the close of the window, more sales to get done too.

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, Villastine said:

£33million for Gallagher looks a snip to me. He was outstanding for Chelsea last season. 

Suits the premier league to a T.

At that price yeah 

But maybe they didn't want to sell to a PL team or at that price.

• Like 1

Yea on reflection, losing Luiz was pretty much criminal. Especially as we ended up selling Diaby to Saudi anyway. It’s going to ruin our entire identity and system of play, will take ages to sort. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Do people not see that Emery created this version of Luiz and this version of Bailey, Watkins etc. Two years ago I would have shrugged my shoulders at any of them leaving.

I.e. it isnt a problem if you sell one of them because you create those players again. 

Its actually good to sell one of them a year as it paves the way to create many more. 

Even brilliant teams benefit from a shake up and reset every now and again. We’ve got lots of potential and a brilliant manager and back up team, we’re in a very good place right now. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Even brilliant teams benefit from a shake up and reset every now and again. We’ve got lots of potential and a brilliant manager and back up team, we’re in a very good place right now. 

One of the tricks to lasting long at a club is being able to constantly evolve the team. Ferguson was a master at it and kept United on top, even when losing their big players like Beckham, Keane and Schmeichel.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

One of the tricks to lasting long at a club is being able to constantly evolve the team. Ferguson was a master at it and kept United on top, even when losing their big players like Beckham, Keane and Schmeichel.

I think it was Bill Shankley who said players can only hear the same words so many times before some one has to go, either you or them, I certainly wouldn’t argue with him or sir Alex Ferguson. My Nile amd I’m sure everyone else in here or at the club needs to hope that Unai finds a way to continue to be a remarkable manager for as long as possible, this is our time, Liverpool amd Man U have had theirs.  The ducks are all lining  very nicely now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Yea on reflection, losing Luiz was pretty much criminal. Especially as we ended up selling Diaby to Saudi anyway. It’s going to ruin our entire identity and system of play, will take ages to sort. 

Luiz is/was a great player but he doesn't/didn't appear to fit Unai's system, which is our Entire Identity and system of play. This is what Unai wants......have faith

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Random link just popped up on Google saying we’ve agreed terms with Chelsea for Lukaku. Has to be bullshit right?!

God yea. 

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm quite sad we let Luiz go, he was perhaps the best midfielder I've seen us have, his technique and passing was world class and he had that ability to dictate play. I think our build up play and possession will suffer quite much, on top of that his assists and his smart passing leading to assists and also his set pieces can't really be replaced.

Perhaps he wanted to go to Juve and perhaps that was on the cards for a long time, but otherwise in hindsight I would just have taken the Diaby money and kept Luiz. If we used some of the money from the other outgoings to bring in Onana a midfield pair of Luiz and Onana would have been world class.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â