Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

24 minutes ago, villa82 said:

I would rather have Digne, Kamara, Luiz and Zaniolo. would rather have our first 11 last season than the one we currently have now. We have better coverage now, and we still have Kamara, so maybe it's not fair to mention him. 

Of all our purchases so far, only Onana is an important improvement. Maatsen replaces one of our strongest positions. I don't see the need for Illing, the same can perhaps be said about Jaden, if we also bring in Felix. Except that we can make money from them by selling them. Barkley is ok, Enzo also seems to be a good buy. But we have spent over 70 million on Maatsen, Gobbin, Illing, Jaden without much need for them, if we don't sell Digne/Moreno. Our squad is too big as it is, need to sell and only buy players who strengthen the first team.

I would argue there was a need for them since we were bringing Chambers on because there was nobody else to bring on to see out games.

29 minutes ago, villa82 said:

I would rather have Digne, Kamara, Luiz and Zaniolo. would rather have our first 11 last season than the one we currently have now. We have better coverage now, and we still have Kamara, so maybe it's not fair to mention him. 

Of all our purchases so far, only Onana is an important improvement. Maatsen replaces one of our strongest positions. I don't see the need for Illing, the same can perhaps be said about Jaden, if we also bring in Felix. Except that we can make money from them by selling them. Barkley is ok, Enzo also seems to be a good buy. But we have spent over 70 million on Maatsen, Gobbin, Illing, Jaden without much need for them, if we don't sell Digne/Moreno. Our squad is too big as it is, need to sell and only buy players who strengthen the first team.

If you think Onana is an improvement then you're basically saying you think Zaniolo is worth more to our squad than Ramsey and Buendia combined and Digne is better than Maatsen.

I think you might be on your own there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

If you think Onana is an improvement then you're basically saying you think Zaniolo is worth more to our squad than Ramsey and Buendia combined and Digne is better than Maatsen.

I think you might be on your own there.

Then you misunderstood me. I think Onana strengthens the team, now that Luiz and Kamara are out. Maatsen I hope will strengthen the team, but a lot of money in a position where we had double coverage before. I also much rather have Buendia than Zaniolo, but overall rather have Zaniolo, Digne, Luiz and Kamara than Buendia, Ramsey, Maatsen and Onana, which was the starting point for the discussion. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I didnt rate Luiz as highly as others, but the fact that we haven’t really replaced him makes it too early to be singing Monchi’s praises. He has been very active and Yes we are the biggest spenders but it is arguably more quantity over quality.  Hopefully some of the new signings will make it but……

This has been done to death but,what if the idea has never been, or had to be to " replace him " 

I'd argue we've gotten players who are actually better than him in areas which weren't his strongest ( Especially defensively) which will allow our attacking players to focus more more on attack.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I didnt rate Luiz as highly as others, but the fact that we haven’t really replaced him makes it too early to be singing Monchi’s praises. He has been very active and Yes we are the biggest spenders but it is arguably more quantity over quality.  Hopefully some of the new signings will make it but……

In terms of net spend we're not too high thus far. I think we've got plenty to spend over the next four weeks. The fact that we spent £37m on a pretty low priority position suggests there a lot more to come.

1 hour ago, villa82 said:

We boxed ourselves in to a corner with FFP.....I think we done well to recover from that.

Maybe you are over ratting the out goings........just a thought.

From my perspective, I had doubts about their defensive qualities, maybe the manager, may have felt the same.

• Like 1

I think people misunderstand the point of modern transfer markets. 

If Illing does well in 20 games he plays, scores a couple of goals, has a few assists, we can sell him to Chelsea for 50m.

That's the point of such transfers. 

• Like 1

Been contemplating creating a poll who people think will be our best signing. Can you add to already created poll if another player is bought. Anyway I think Maatsen might be our best signing. Could be wishful thinking

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Been contemplating creating a poll who people think will be our best signing. Can you add to already created poll if another player is bought. Anyway I think Maatsen might be our best signing. Could be wishful thinking

Do the poll! 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Barca seemingly out of the race for Olmo and Williams.

We couldn't? Could we?

Barca are broke. Williams is going nowhere. Rewind a season Williams probably won't go anywhere as Bilbao rarely sell players and players there don't push to leave. Williams recently said I've just signed a new contract and happy here. This is getting cringe now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

This could be the calm before the storm.

We seem to do our business in short flurries followed by periods of (seeming) inactivity. 

Could be some really exciting weeks ahead. 🤞🏼

Or...we are done.

• Haha 3

Hopefully we see a few more sales before anything else as our squad is still pretty much maxed out.

Regardless of what happens with Duran we still have to shift Dendoncker and one of Digne and Moreno.

I predict 5 outgoings (including loans) and 2 incoming. 

The outgoings will be Moreno, Hause, Dendoncker and Archer all on loan, and Duran sold.  

The incoming will be an attacking player of some sort to cover either Diaby or Durans outgoings. There will also be an incoming loan to shore up a more defensive area. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

might be worth waiting a bit, at least until the transfer window is nearly done, we might sign a few more players yet.

5 minutes ago, Hobsons Choice said:

Was gonna post this, beat me to it. We might be replacing Luiz by changing the system so as not to need a like for like replacement.

I think you could be right. Hopefully a change that sees us concede fewer goals.

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

it feels like the money we got for Dougie was below what most expected

I think it should be stickied that the value for Doug appears as this on paper due to the creative* way the deal was done for a lot of reasons.

For one, we apparently owed Man C a sell on %, thus a lower fee meant less outlay. Also, the other sales (Kellyman, Iroegbunam) gave the Villa some breathing space when it came to meeting the PSR requirements. This meant that they could lower the fee for Dougie and also lower the fees for Iling and Enzo, which helps with their future book valuation. If the Villa needed Dougie’s price to be higher, they could have done it but so would have been the valuations of the incoming players.

It’s no coincidence this was the last deal done before the end of june. It was complicated and had a ton of moving parts, one of which was the valuation of the players on paper. In this case, the lower Dougie fee was better for the Villa.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â