Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

My personal opinion: the best back up strikers are like the best back up goalies. A been there and done it DOB, or a young and highly rated prospect. 

two at a similar level only causes issues 

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

My personal opinion: the best back up strikers are like the best back up goalies. A been there and done it DOB, or a young and highly rated prospect. 

two at a similar level only causes issues 

Mateta is nothing on Ollie tbf.

Would be a silly signing. Not happening.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Mateta is nothing on Ollie tbf.

Would be a silly signing. Not happening.

Yes. Mateta isn’t as good as ollie, but he’s definitely a starting striker… that ego won’t allow him to sit on our bench. He wants first team football 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wonkertonk said:

I'd be wary of this, he's 27 now and one half season of good football and scoring. Of course his agent and him want to capitalise on that and get a big move. I can't see this happening and hopefully it doesn't tbh

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Why would it be silly? (on the assumption Duran is sold) 

27 years old and half a season of good performances and goals in 3 and a half years of PL football. A younger player who we can improve and work as an understudy to Watkins is far better option.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

27 years old and half a season of good performances and goals in 3 and a half years of PL football. A younger player who we can improve and work as an understudy to Watkins is far better option.

Nothing about him fits our criteria. It’s just agent talk to get him a new deal. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Fair points though I don't totally agree. We've tried the younger player thing with Duran and whilst not all young players are like that, finding young strikers that are ready physically and mentally who are willing to play a rotation role is rather difficult imo. 

I quite liked Mateta when he was at Mainz and think there's a player there. Needs to be used in a certain way though. Think he'd be a good option for us when we need a different profile of player to impact a game. 

It's probably a bollocks link anyway.

11 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Yes. Mateta isn’t as good as ollie, but he’s definitely a starting striker… that ego won’t allow him to sit on our bench. He wants first team football 

I think the ego is about getting his big bumper payday, he's 27yo and he's off the best form of his career. He wants the move and a 5 year contract on the big wages to take him to 32yo 

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

I think the ego is about getting his big bumper payday, he's 27yo and he's off the best form of his career. He wants the move and a 5 year contract on the big wages to take him to 32yo 

Not exactly sound business from us. Still can’t see it happening 

Is there any chance of us tuning into the South Korean/Asian market? Anyone decent who would be a good fit for us?

I think we're missing a trick not upping our profile in that part of the world, The potential commercial benefits would be massive ala Spuds & Son.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Fair points though I don't totally agree. We've tried the younger player thing with Duran and whilst not all young players are like that, finding young strikers that are ready physically and mentally who are willing to play a rotation role is rather difficult imo. 

I quite liked Mateta when he was at Mainz and think there's a player there. Needs to be used in a certain way though. Think he'd be a good option for us when we need a different profile of player to impact a game. 

It's probably a bollocks link anyway.

I'm sorry but surely Duran is a massive success story surely. IF we buy him for 14m + 4m add ons and sell him for 40m + sell on clause 18 months later. 

I think we need a player who is more 21/22 years old and has had their breakthrough in a top league. We pay more for that type of player but they are more ready for the next step too as a result. Beier for example is perfect fit.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, okay - this thread moves fast, 9 hours ago is a lot of pages! :)

Don't worry, we haven't signed anyone in that time. #MonchiOut  😉

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Can’t see this happening. Two starting level strikers in one club is always problematic and rarely ends up good 

I wouldn't see Mateta as a starting level striker, if I remember correctly it was first around christmas last season that he began to start games, the previous two seasons he has mainly been an impact sub. I'd like us to have a big target player who can come on and create chaos, and I think Mateta fits that bill perfectly. The fact that he now has adjusted to the PL, started games and started scoring a lot is a big bonus and menas he can push Watkins but still clearly being no 2.

Everytime I've seen him he has been a handfull and seems a hard worker, I've had doubts about his first touch and passing, but the last half of last season showed he can actually play a bit too. I'd love us to sign him.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Agree that this could be a problem though, preferrably we would find a younger one of the same profile, perhaps that Beier guy is a younger alternative. He looks a bit thin though :- D

10 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I wouldn't see Mateta as a starting level striker, if I remember correctly it was first around christmas last season that he began to start games, the previous two seasons he has mainly been an impact sub. I'd like us to have a big target player who can come on and create chaos, and I think Mateta fits that bill perfectly. The fact that he now has adjusted to the PL, started games and started scoring a lot is a big bonus and menas he can push Watkins but still clearly being no 2.

Everytime I've seen him he has been a handfull and seems a hard worker, I've had doubts about his first touch and passing, but the last half of last season showed he can actually play a bit too. I'd love us to sign him.

His personal desires are not to be no 2 to ollie. The man has earned himself to be a starting striker and that’s probably what he wants. We can’t offer that 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â