Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Phillips is just the English Dendoncker, i'd rather just keep Donck who is on less wages.

Nonsense. You don't become a bad player in the space of a season or two.

Philips just needs games to become match fit again.

Philips and Onana would give Villa's leaky defence plenty of protection if there's any truth in the link?

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Nonsense. You don't become a bad player in the space of a season or two.

He was never much good in the first place. 

• Like 3

Just now, villa89 said:

He was never much good in the first place. 

Wait a minute I thought him missing meant that Southgate couldn't win the world cup at the euros or something?

17 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

This Calvin Phillips smell is getting stronger 

Agent/Media, just pedalling. There is no room for him in our squad, move on.

Phillips seems to be going the way of Dele Alli. Or at least the drop off seems similar. 

The Phillips at Leeds who had broken into and was playing in the England team, I’d have taken, but this guy feels like damaged goods now.

We also definitely don’t need any more central midfielders unless someone like Tielemans randomly gets sold.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Phillips seems to be going the way of Dele Alli. Or at least the drop off seems similar. 

The Phillips at Leeds who had broken into and was playing in the England team, I’d have taken, but this guy feels like damaged goods now.

We also definitely don’t need any more central midfielders unless someone like Tielemans randomly gets sold.

i think that Onana/Tielemans is currently our best CM pairing.

However, is Tielemans best used there?, he only started playing there a lot for us last season when Kamara got injured, before that he was usually in the wide midfield/inside midfielder role, or the no.10 position.

Should we actually be looking to get another CM to pair with Onana?, then barrenchea/Barkley as backup, so Tielemans can play further forward?

Probably not, we are quite stacked further forward now, but just a thought.

Would rather we signed a centre back than a midfielder right now, it's the area we are lightest in with Mings seemingly a way off yet.

The last friendly exposed Pau's weakness which is dealing with a running forward, he's an absolutely superb centre back and a nailed on starter but needs a quick partner next to him. Konsa is obviously the natural option there, but with him being used at right back, and very little depth a pacey RCB should be the consideration we are making. Carlos can be held onto until Mings is back, and gives him some more time to prove himself.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really rated Phillips at Leeds, was gutted when we didn't get him.  He played really well for England too for a couple of seasons.  Not sure what's happened but there was a very good player in there somewhere, get him anywhere near Leeds levels were in business.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, pete101 said:

The Sergi Roberto stuff on twitter, any reliable links for this?

Hopefully as he’s versatile, would add some much needed Spanish flair to the squad and plenty of big game experience - no brainer on a free imo! 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really rated Phillips at Leeds, was gutted when we didn't get him.  He played really well for England too for a couple of seasons.  Not sure what's happened but there was a very good player in there somewhere, get him anywhere near Leeds levels were in business.

He was good then and thought of on here as the missing piece of our midfield with SJM, Luiz, and Grealish. 

His Nan told him to stay at Leeds and I think he had some nasty injuries. Never really got his levels back after that, but somehow still got a big move to Citeh (which I think was so no one else could have him, tbh). 

Wouldn’t go near him no though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

He was good enough for a mid-table Leeds managed by the world's greatest ever manager that never won anything and Southgate's risk-averse, slowpokes. He struggled badly to learn the tactical details of playing holding CM for Pep and I'm not sure he'd do any better for Emery. 

15 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Remember last season when Talk Sport just randomnly tweeted that we'd signed Oxlade-Chamberlain for no reason whatsoever

I know for a fact Villa definitely spoke to him. Like they do with many players - they make inquiries. 

There’s no way we need Phillips right now.

1. We already have Kamara, Onana and Enzo to play in the defensive pivot. 

2. IF we sign Torres, the only available starting position for McGinn becomes the Luiz type role. (Assuming Watkins, Bailey, Rogers and Torres are the preferred starters). Leaving Tielemans and Barkley as bench options. 

3. we have more pressing defensive positions to strengthen 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â