Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

26 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Not entirely true. Konsa played at RB in some of our best performances last season, win against City and both wins against Arsenal.

Exceptions happen because he’s a very good ball playing defender. There were other games too where he struggled with pace or was doubling up to cover the likes of Lenglet. Would it be different if it was Mings? It’s hard to say. But I don’t think he’s got the attributes to be a consistent right back when he excels far more with the ball at his feet, blocking passes and attacks down the middle. Teams exploited the vulnerability plenty. 

• Like 2

Okay so I said at the start of the window defense is where we need to focus our transfer business. I also said we need a left CB, a right CB, and a right back. I still believe this.

Mings won't be ready for months. So we back up to Pau. Carlos hasn't been good enough and needs a quality replacement. Cash just isn't good enough for a champions league team. Suspect defensively, not a good passer, crossing and dribbling average.

However in regards to right back Nedeljovic looks the real deal. So I'd be fine with keeping Cash for now and just bringing in 2 centre backs. That way we can play Konsa as right back with Nedeljovic and Cash to rotate and cover injury.

Hermoso is basically the perfect Pau cover (i still believe he is coming in, but we probably need to sell a left back). That just leaves RCB. But a right centre back will only happen if we can sell Carlos.

12 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Okay so I said at the start of the window defense is where we need to focus our transfer business. I also said we need a left CB, a right CB, and a right back. I still believe this.

Mings won't be ready for months. So we back up to Pau. Carlos hasn't been good enough and needs a quality replacement. Cash just isn't good enough for a champions league team. Suspect defensively, not a good passer, crossing and dribbling average.

However in regards to right back Nedeljovic looks the real deal. So I'd be fine with keeping Cash for now and just bringing in 2 centre backs. That way we can play Konsa as right back with Nedeljovic and Cash to rotate and cover injury.

Hermoso is basically the perfect Pau cover (i still believe he is coming in, but we probably need to sell a left back). That just leaves RCB. But a right centre back will only happen if we can sell Carlos.

I too have a concern for our defensive abilities at CB.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'm very concerned by our central defence! Surely we can't go another year with Olsen as our number 2. Lots of work still to be done. 

• Like 1

Glad we all agree about our defence. CB and RB both needed. I could live with Konsa moving across to RB for the season and buying a top quality CB if we could only afford one.

Happy to keep Diego until January when Tyrone will hopefully be back, and then we can see if Diego can get a loan or somehow a permanent move. 

Hermoso is not what we need, in my opinion. I’d rather those wages were utilised elsewhere. 

I’m obviously excited by the prospect of signing Joao Felix, but the defence is the big priority for me. We have enough attacking talent, it’s our defence that’s a mess. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Hermoso is not what we need, in my opinion. I’d rather those wages were utilised elsewhere. 

What happens if Pau goes down in the first game (ala Mings last year)?

We need a back up LCB more so than a RCB as it stands. Until Carlos leaves then we’re at least covered, Lenglet leaving has left us exposed on the left hand side of central defence.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

What happens if Pau goes down in the first game (ala Mings last year)?

We need a back up LCB more so than a RCB as it stands. Until Carlos leaves then we’re at least covered, Lenglet leaving has left us exposed on the left hand side of central defence.

I seem to remember reading that Carlos always played as the left centre half before joining us, even though he is right-footed.

• Like 2

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I seem to remember reading that Carlos always played as the left centre half before joining us, even though he is right-footed.

He did at Sevilla, to accommodate Kounde but he’s mostly played right side for us.

Plus it’s less about what foot he uses and more about the role each CB plays in our side. Reason Lenglet was brought in was because he replicated Pau’s composure and passing ability (albeit to a lesser extent). I don’t think Carlos is trusted to play that quarterback style CB which Unai wants on the left.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

He did at Sevilla, to accommodate Kounde but he’s mostly played right side for us.

Plus it’s less about what foot he uses and more about the role each CB plays in our side. Reason Lenglet was brought in was because he replicated Pau’s composure and passing ability (albeit to a lesser extent). I don’t think Carlos is trusted to play that quarterback style CB which Unai wants on the left.

Pretty sure Carlos would be sold in a heart beat if a decent offer came in for him. 

• Like 3

As brilliant as Kamara is in midfield, he's basically the perfect centre half for us as well. Wins plenty in the air and can play well enough with the ball. Played multiple seasons at CB for Marseille.

If Enzo becomes a realistic option to start, and we can't shift Carlos, Bouba next to Torres with Konsa at RB and Onana and Tielemans/McGinn/Barkley/Enzo next to him is strong.

• Shocked 1

I'm getting a little worried at the pace of the squad trimming, can't be ideal having such a big squad involved at the moment when it comes to preparation. If young players are to go out on loan it's maybe better that they go as early as possible so that they can be ready to play right away.

24 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I'm getting a little worried at the pace of the squad trimming, can't be ideal having such a big squad involved at the moment when it comes to preparation. If young players are to go out on loan it's maybe better that they go as early as possible so that they can be ready to play right away.

We need Digne or Moreno to go. Odd that we bought in Maatsen if they're both staying for me.

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

As brilliant as Kamara is in midfield, he's basically the perfect centre half for us as well. Wins plenty in the air and can play well enough with the ball. Played multiple seasons at CB for Marseille.

If Enzo becomes a realistic option to start, and we can't shift Carlos, Bouba next to Torres with Konsa at RB and Onana and Tielemans/McGinn/Barkley/Enzo next to him is strong.

I did make this suggestion in the Kamara thread. I could see it working and we might be ok in midfield now with Onana coming in.

7 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

We need Digne or Moreno to go. Odd that we bought in Maatsen if they're both staying for me.

Neither of them appears to be linked with any move out, which is strange

Edited by Xela

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Neither of them appears to be linked with any move out, which is strange

It's more concerning Digne got minutes at centre back in the last game. I hope that's not a plan moving forwards 😱

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

It's more concerning Digne got minutes at centre back in the last game. I hope that's not a plan moving forwards 😱

Highly doubtful... Our 3 and 4th choice goalkeepers also played and I'm sure that's not a part of any plan 

He's literally just giving everyone minutes for fitness and experience it seems 

We’ve done more business than our main competitors combined and still over a month to go before the window closes. 

Top international players still haven’t even come back from their holidays after the internationals in the summer and will wait to see if the Real Madrid’s, Man City’s and Barcelona’s are interested before they move. The dominoes will then start to fall. 

Edited by DakotaVilla

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â