Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

57 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We will find out soon enough who is right.

He wouldn't be starting even in your scenario because he'd be behind Watkins, Felix, Rogers and Archer. Even Archer is way better than Dobbin so he'd be starting those games.

As I said I think if we're relying on Dobbin starting any games for us next season, unless they're against a really bad side, we won't go very far. I don't mean any disrespect to the lad, I just don't think he is at the level we require. 

I know Unai has done great things with Rogers but I really don't see the same thing happening with Dobbin.

I wonder how much you've watched Dobbin ? I for one have to admit to only seeing him in the game against us last year, where he did ok. I haven't seen enough to judge him, and will trust the coaches to do what they can with him.

It's not an accusation, but you appear to have written him off before he's played a competitive game for us, but he was quite highly rated at Everton. For me, I'll wait until Emery decides, but give the lad my support no matter what.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Every damn transfer window let's sign big money back up in case player X gets injured. 

Players usually get injured though. A season with less than four bad injuries to important players is rare.

49 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No. Doubt he'll lead the line for us much at all.

For future reference, transfermarkt and fbref aren't 100% accurate for positioning. Have a look after a few games this season, you'll see players listed where they didn't play.

Agreed they're not the most accurate but a good guide. I do remember Felix playing 9 a lot for Chelsea though. 

However I do think that if we sell Duran and sign Felix we won't be signing another central forward who plays 9 we'll go with Watkins, Felix, Rogers and Dobbin with Archer being sold. 

Whatever way Emery does it. I'd assume if Watkins doesn't get injured you won't see Felix at 9 much or at all. We'll use Dobbin / Rogers in the domestic cup games if Watkins is rested. 

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Players usually get injured though. A season with less than four bad injuries to important players is rare.

Do you think Ollie Watkins would move to Arsenal to go and sit on their bench?

• Like 3

Good to see we're still rattling through pages of chat on the merits of signing Felix 🤣

Don't personally want him but won't be distraught if we do as clearly Unai like him. Just hope we get a conclusion soon!

1 minute ago, _AA_786 said:

Good to see we're still rattling through pages of chat on the merits of signing Felix 🤣

Don't personally want him but won't be distraught if we do as clearly Unai like him. Just hope we get a conclusion soon!

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

I know brother, we're normally so in sync but on this one we're fully opposite 😢

I just want an out and out striker (e.g. Vitor Roque) but if we got Felix and then picked up a Ben Yedder type (an example) on a free or something I'd be happy with that. Just don't like the idea of potentially relying on Rogers, Felix or Archer to play up top for any extended period of time if Ollie is out

1 minute ago, _AA_786 said:

I know brother, we're normally so in sync but on this one we're fully opposite 😢

I just want an out and out striker (e.g. Vitor Roque) but if we got Felix and then picked up a Ben Yedder type (an example) on a free or something I'd be happy with that. Just don't like the idea of potentially relying on Rogers, Felix or Archer to play up top for any extended period of time if Ollie is out

Trust….

in…

UNAI!!!!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

It’s a long window… we can’t really predict anything or how many moves we’re gonna make.

Best to sit back n enjoy the ride really 😆

47 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

However I do think that if we sell Duran and sign Felix we won't be signing another central forward who plays 9 we'll go with Watkins, Felix, Rogers and Dobbin with Archer being sold. 

There is zero chance that Duran and Archer are sold and ww dont sign a 9. Rogers is not a 9, neither is Felix. Archer to start way ahead of both if Ollie is not available.

Posted (edited)

Archer wouldn’t be good enough on a dog lead never mind leading the line for a CL team. If Duran goes which seems likely Villa will need to invest in another forward.

Fullgrug would be one I’d be looking at. Plenty of experience and would be a good fit for the Premiership. Think Dortmund are willing to sell.

Plenty of game time at the Villa too and not such a drop off in quality if Watkins needs a rest or injured.

Edited by striker
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Every damn transfer window let's sign big money back up in case player X gets injured. 

We need someone to play there who's effective. We'll have a crazy number of games this season. We have to compensate somehow anyway – bigger teams than us have suffered from losing their main strikers. 

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I think Archer can be coached (and will listen) better than Duran. Plus he has that poacher’s mentality. 

If Archer is Duran’s replacement, I don’t think we’re weakened tbh 

I doubt it, Unai already decided between Archer and Duran last summer. Only reason Archer may be here at end of the window is not being able to replace him in the CL squad or if it's one transfer too much for us this summer

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Archer wouldn’t be good enough on a dog lead never mind leading the line for a CL team. If Duran goes which seems likely Villa will need to invest in another forward.

Fullgrug would be one I’d be looking at. Plenty of experience and would be a good fit for the Premiership. Think Dortmund are willing to sell.

You are quick to doom players. Archer is great finishers and makes intelligent runs, playing in poor Blades team is different than playing in mighty Villa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Archer to fill in up top for a few matches is fine with Felix and Bailey supporting him.

Archer is a good finisher.

His finishing, is not in question, really.....it's his forward craft.

The ability, to hold the ball up, and wait for, support......to play runners in......to play with your back to goal, and spin off, after passes.....to win aerial duels, and play colleagues in......and Pressing.

All these type of things are important....and negate opponents running at us through the middle......some call it defending from the front.

We can't just rely on goal scoring attributes, as important as they are.....there is more to it than that, at the level we want to be at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ollie is a player, who is ( unusually) injury free, for his position......  Gareth Barry was, also and ever present, rare for a combative midfielder.

So the chances are, a backup front man won't see much game time, like David Geddis, didn't, covering Peter Withe.

Whoever we get in, are not going to be top class.....fill ins rarely are.

It's also hard to carry large squads, with 42k gates.....unless you are Chelsea, with untold backing.

Edited by TRO

29 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

#10, CB and senior RB still required to finish this squad off.

I'm not as concerned about RB as many are, I think Ned is a lot better than people think. The guy has played more champions league football than half our squad.

To go buy a RB , he would need to be a significant upgrade on Cash who I think might be our backup as we stand, and an upgrade like that is not gonna be cheap 

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â