Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

Oh it’s fully amazing. 

but to be that top 4 regularly with our current budget.. we need to get this window right. So far, I feel like we getting some right things done. But, more work needed  

Were we top 2/3 teams, based on form, over 2023?

Injuries, fatigue and suspensions is what saw us drop off this year.

What more do we need? Another CB and a number 10? Or do we need more, another technical CM?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Not this again, we won't be title contenders just like we weren't at any point last season. Our Target is to get out of the group phase of the CL and finish 4th again.

Bayer Leverkusen won the league last season on football merit. So why can't Villa?

It's not unthinkable Villa could finish 3 more places then they did last season and win the league. 

I said Dark Horses btw and it's my opinion. So please don't shoot my opinion down. 

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Oh it’s fully amazing. 

but to be that top 4 regularly with our current budget.. we need to get this window right. So far, I feel like we getting some right things done. But, more work needed  

Think it's gonna take something extraordinary for us to manage both the league and the CL. Massive challenge.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We are nowhere near dark horse title contenders even with those two acquisitions.  You basically need over 90 points most seasons to win the title, that’s an extra 7 wins above what we did last season just to be close to the conversation and we aren’t there.  Our aim I think is 70+ points to achieve hopefully 4th and get out of CL group and a run in the cups.

Believe 

• Haha 1

Just now, Pongo Waring said:

Bayer Leverkusen won the league last season on football merit. So why can't Villa?

It's not unthinkable Villa could finish 3 more places then they did last season and win the league. 

I said Dark Horses btw

I think the objective should be to close that gap and firmly establish ourselves. We finished on 69 points (and really did tail off quite badly in 2024 - that’s what we need to avoid, another major drop off. Super team in 2023), Liverpool 82, Arsenal 89, City 91.

With Unai, it feels like nothing is impossible but it’s best for us to keep expectations in check and not add any pressure. Just enjoy the journey, a wonderful time to support this club.

We’ve done some good business but 1 or 2 high quality additions would be really nice and really helpful. Major step up from ECL (we were largely poor) to CL.

• Like 1

Signing Felix would add to our creativity and goal threat but may weaken our aggression, battle, mental attitude (whatever you want to call it). It's a balance that I trust Unai to get right when we sign such key players.

Just now, villabromsgrove said:

Signing Felix would add to our creativity and goal threat but may weaken our aggression, battle, mental attitude (whatever you want to call it). It's a balance that I trust Unai to get right when we sign such key players.

I don’t think so, with the additions of Onana, Barkley and Barrenechea (to add to McGinn and Kamara, with Tielemans there to provide the class and creativity) we have plenty of “steel” in midfield now.

Having a creative and dangerous no. 10 would give us that extra edge in attack. Again, maybe the intention is to solidify midfield and allow the forwards to attack and create more - more onus there.

If we have a “soft spot”, it’s in defence… an imposing CB would be a big help.

We have big Emi too… hard to sum up just how much he brings to our side. Powerful presence.

Don’t think we are lacking too much in the way of fight/spirit/determination… 

I would place more of a question over creativity and attacking sharpness, even if that looks pretty good.

We have lost two big contributors in Dougie and Diaby though…

Just now, sne said:

Felix has a worse goal/assist record than Diaby over the last couple seasons.

We don’t know what Felix or any other attacking signing would produce under Unai’s tutelage though…

the way he has elevated our players (Bailey, McGinn, Watkins… to name a few) should give us huge encouragement and faith that new players will be brilliant too.

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

What more do we need? Another CB and a number 10? Or do we need more, another technical CM?

We need someone that can unlock defences and break a low block.

Can't expect to rely on Bailey and JP all season would like to see someone more central.

I'd also like to see a high calibre CB if Carlos goes.

Edited by AshVilla

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

What business do you think we’d need to do to get 80+ pts?

I’m not thinking of the title, but closing the gap and making those top 3 teams sweat…

I don’t know to be honest, I just feel we aren’t there.  I still think we are a couple players short of elite quality.  Aside from that it’s mentality and experience throughout our players in harder games, tougher moments in games, and that comes with time.  It’s hard to explain but just think how most people believed City would win the title last season because they know how to win, that drive in the last part of the season and then just in games dealing with hard moments, setbacks and still make the right decisions…that’s why we knew City would win the title and Arsenal would fall short.  

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We need someone that can unlock defences and break a low block.

Can't expect to rely on Bailey and JP all season would like to see someone more central.

I'd also like to see a high calibre CB if Carlos goes.

I don’t disagree but just pointing out that we have “unlockers” in Tielemans and Buendia at least. Bailey has improved incredibly and makes some killer balls too.

Rogers and Ramsey have that capability. McGinn and Barkley are capable of creating chances and making good passes too.

Maybe we could level up though, CL level class.

I’m not getting carried away with JP, best to be patient and give the lad time/chance rather than raise expectations and pressure. He’s never played regular top flight football. 

22 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We were 2nd only to City in 2023 on form. 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t know to be honest, I just feel we aren’t there.  I still think we are a couple players short of elite quality.  Aside from that it’s mentality and experience throughout our players in harder games, tougher moments in games, and that comes with time.  It’s hard to explain but just think how most people believed City would win the title last season because they know how to win, that drive in the last part of the season and then just in games dealing with hard moments, setbacks and still make the right decisions…that’s why we knew City would win the title and Arsenal would fall short.  

Guess that comes with time and experience but, we will have learned loads from last season.  We also have players with a lot of potential… still plenty of time to add quality players in this window too.

Again, I would like to see us close the gap and not tail off so badly. Not expecting crazy things but I really don’t believe that we are ok with any form of regression. Unai has made his intentions quite clear too and, thankfully, committed to us long term.

Can’t say much about Wes but Nassef’s comments were interesting too… had it not been for the financial rules/regulations, I think we would be spending more and building and even stronger side…

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We were 2nd only to City in 2023 on form. 

Think we can maintain good momentum and close the gap over the course of this season?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â