Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Not sure we really need a hybrid wing/forward, I think we need to concentrate more on a younger striker who can give Ollie a rest. I think our next few signings should be young high-potential backups to Ollie (Stk), Emi (GK) and Konsa (RCB).

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Not Bailey, thats for damn sure. After Watkins, our biggest threat and attacking contributor. He may lose form, but after last season there aren't many better players in the league.

Yeah, but who are you dropping to get Bailey in 

52 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I don't know what you mean. Bailey starts so Im not dropping anybody. He's in the starting XI. If you're asking me who my current starting XI is then I guess its Martinez, Maatsen, Torres, Konsa, Nedeljkovic, Onana, Tielemans, McGinn, Rogers, Bailey, Watkins.

If a big name like Felix comes in, then Rogers misses out first, not Bailey. But tactics can change a few positions. Like Enzo for McGinn or Ramsey or Iling Jnr for Rogers etc.

While it’s great to have all these options, I reckon the biggest upgrade to last year is the new fullbacks. Could really add another dimension to our play 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Radness said:

Not sure we really need a hybrid wing/forward, I think we need to concentrate more on a younger striker who can give Ollie a rest.

West Ham want to buy him

I don't think it's a question of "dropping" any of the top 15 or so players in the squad.

If we're playing Real Madrid, I could see us lining up with McGinn, Barrenechea, Onana, Ramsey and Tielemans starting.

If we're playing Ipswich, I could see us lining up with Bailey, Onana, Tielemans, Rogers, Diaby\Felix starting.

The more different profiles of players we have in the squad, the more Emery will be able to change tactics and make us harder to predict. Teams will have watched us last year and will be better prepared for our tactics, so we need to be more flexible this year.

That's one of the reasons I think Felix would be a great signing, if we can turn a profit by replacing Diaby with him. He's different to what we already have in the squad and I think he'd really help us in the kind of games where we struggled to break teams down. Diaby, Bailey, Ramsey are all better with space to run into. You'd hope Buendia could come back to be good in those tight games, but I thought he struggled a bit physically when played centrally before, and doesn't have the quickness of Felix to get away from defenders, even though he has the eye and technique to make the right passes.

1 hour ago, Radness said:

Not sure we really need a hybrid wing/forward, I think we need to concentrate more on a younger striker who can give Ollie a rest. I think our next few signings should be young high-potential backups to Ollie (Stk), Emi (GK) and Konsa (RCB).

It's a real shame Duran wants out, he's an ideal backup. Young, not a big outlay to sign him, and skilled enough for the role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I don't know what you mean. Bailey starts so Im not dropping anybody. He's in the starting XI. If you're asking me who my current starting XI is then I guess its Martinez, Maatsen, Torres, Konsa, Nedeljkovic, Onana, Tielemans, McGinn, Rogers, Bailey, Watkins.

If a big name like Felix comes in, then Rogers misses out first, not Bailey. But tactics can change a few positions. Like Enzo for McGinn or Ramsey or Iling Jnr for Rogers etc.

That’s the first lineup that actually looks or sounds STRONG.

That midfield has power and is unlikely to be dominated, especially with our style (Unai will have them all controlling and passing the ball with ease) and the extra class Tielemans provides.

Just having Onana and McGinn closing opposing players down will be a fear for many but… they won’t be the only ones. Enzo could be a big help and possibly do much of what Bouba did… and we will be welcoming him back later too. And then we have Barkley too! Maybe we’ve addressed that “soft spot/core” we occasionally seemed to possess and now have genuine & quality depth.

But the creative edge or aspect (and overall reliability) that we may have weakened by losing Dougie could be replaced or even enhanced by a top class number 10. And I agree, it would be Rogers either dropping (Bailey going to the wing) out or going to LM. That’s a lot of height and strength in midfield, if they’re joined by him…

A dominant CB to replace Carlos would be helpful, also depends on how Mings is doing.

Yeah, it’s crazy to even suggest dropping Bailey when he has been our best and most effective/dangerous attacking player. Was unplayable at times last season and has shown a greater level of maturity… he can inspire. We could see him reach another level with CL football.

I think it’s easy for people to get carried away by Rogers, even when he’s as good as he seems to be. We will need to get used to some rotation and actually give some players a rest at times… a fit and firing JJ will be a big boost too.

Lot’s of genuine options… maybe we just need a sprinkle of “magic dust” to complete it and be a very formidable and dangerous team to face.

• Like 3

Also… when considering our options on the wings, and even though we have players that can play SS (but probably not their best role or best suited to it) with Ollie… it seemingly makes sense to replace Diaby with a classy number 10 rather than a winger. 

I wonder, without significant improvement, where exactly he would’ve fit in to our side next season. Wouldn’t be happy to start games on the bench for the most part… (reports that he was “angry” around December and expecting to be a mainstay in our first 11). Way too much of a financial investment to keep him as a sub… the move makes plenty of sense (especially if we make a really healthy profit).

We have the numbers… it’s about whether we can upgrade the class and ability in certain key positions now. Or hold fire (maybe not, since this is our first ever CL campaign and we want plenty more) and look at big opportunities in future windows. More sales on the way I think… but no one key/crucial.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

To me the only absolute guaranteed starters in premier league games are Martinez, Konsa and Watkins. Luiz was another one before he was sold.

All others will be puzzle pieces to be rearranged as Unai determines based on opposition and desired outcomes. 

Even Bailey will start some games and come in as a sub in others for maximum effect.

It's an unbelievable position to be in, especially given the end of last year when the team picked itself every game because that's all we had available.

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Well if he’s just negotiating with Citeh that’s one thing, but if he wants to play football, what European giant needs and can afford him? 

No idea what European clubs are looking for - the clause he wants in his contract at City is for the likes of Madrid. But that’s kind of irrelevant - I’m just curious why people think he would swap City for Villa? He’s not desperately unhappy there, he just wants a bigger contract and that clause.

Don’t get me wrong - I’d love him, I think he’s a brilliant player. Bring Rodri and KDB along too…

Ignoring shirt numbers the side could look like this and also the central midfield areas are not dead accurate but would you be okay with this lineup?

61C031F9-C134-495E-82AE-A98CE5B39E4F.jpeg

Edited by RicRic

4 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Yeah all this bailey not starting nonsense is highly confusing some of you lot are on crystal meth to even think about excluding him after the season he just had its ludicrous! 

• Like 2

Bailey, Watkins and Martinez are untouchable in our best side. They're the only players, Pau and Konsa are close but we'll sign a new CB I feel which will add to there. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Bailey, Watkins and Martinez are untouchable in our best side. They're the only players, Pau and Konsa are close but we'll sign a new CB I feel which will add to there. 

No way Bailey is untouchable. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No way Bailey is untouchable. 

Only Watkins in our squad is anywhere near him in his level of creativity and output for goals and assists. So Bailey is key for us. Now if Emery feels in a certain game to deploy him from the bench after 60+ mins as part of the plan it doesn't matter. He's the key to the plan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Only Watkins in our squad is anywhere near him in his level of creativity and output for goals and assists. So Bailey is key for us. Now if Emery feels in a certain game to deploy him from the bench after 60+ mins as part of the plan it doesn't matter. He's the key to the plan

Don’t doubt the last part. I just think we’ll sign another support striker / 10, and with Rogers form, it’s difficult to know where he plays. Will certainly play in matches, just not sure he starts. Who knows. Nice problem to have!

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Don’t doubt the last part. I just think we’ll sign another support striker / 10, and with Rogers form, it’s difficult to know where he plays. Will certainly play in matches, just not sure he starts. Who knows. Nice problem to have!

The depth and competition is key to our ability to compete on 2 fronts and succeed. We saw how injuries ravaged us and many teams last season

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

He wants to leave for more money and to play for a European giant… I don’t think he’s thinking us! And that’s ignoring the fact he doesn’t REALLY want to leave, he just wants a payrise and an exit clause that lets him go to Madrid or Barcelona at some point.

Why would he possibly leave City for Villa? We are surely not going to outbid them on salary. He starts 80% of their games. He’s looking up, not down (again, it pains me to use these words, but this seems mad to even discuss - it’s like discussing a swoop for Ederson because we know he’s open to leaving).

We already have the best goalkeeper in the world.;) I see your point, but if he wants to leave, I think he would consider us, if perhaps not decide to join us. 

YARN | - There's a chance! - A chance. | Star Trek (1966) - S01E08 Miri |  Video gifs by quotes | a8c71694 | 紗

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RicRic said:

Ignoring shirt numbers the side could look like this and also the central midfield areas are not dead accurate but would you be okay with this lineup?

61C031F9-C134-495E-82AE-A98CE5B39E4F.jpeg

Can't see us bringing in 3 more new players. How many are you expecting to sell here? Duran, Diaby, cash, Digne, moreno, archer, Hause, Donk, kkh. Too much change on top of what is already a lot of movement. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â