Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Sugwara gone to Southampton for 6m.

Suggests to me that RB isn't a huge priority this window. In fairness Cash + Konsa have served us well last two seasons and we will see what the Serb kid makes of his chance when he gets in.

Only issue is I'd rather have Konsa + Pau as the CB combination for as many games as possible but we know by now Unai sees it differently.

Not that I think we are interested but  Wan-Bissaka been left behind by United  , 1 year left on his deal and only 26 

an upgrade on Cash and plenty of Prem and CL experience  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, villarule123 said:

Alvarez would be a dream signing to play behind Ollie. 

He would also replace Luiz as our set piece taker. 

City want £70m+ for him and he's leaving City because he wants to be the main forward.

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Not that I think we are interested but  Wan-Bissaka been left behind by United  , 1 year left on his deal and only 26 

an upgrade on Cash and plenty of Prem and CL experience  

But not particularly good in possession and under pressure - which is the same problem Cash has.

6 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I’m of the opinion that if/when Diaby and Duran leave, we will sign one player to “replace” them. They’ll need to play both as a 10 and a striker.

I think Joao Felix is the perfect profile for that. Any other suggestions?

Felix can't play as a central striker. 

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Every club he’s played for he’s had some falling out that he ends up on the bench. He’s almost 25 now. I don’t know how many more chances he should get. There’s a lot of ability, but I don’t know if he’s got the mindset to be next level. 

Thats where I'm at to.  His reputation exceeds him.  I would rather we spend the big money elsewhere.  He hasn’t really consistently performed anywhere

56 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Onana signs and we are better, yes.

I think it's a daft tweet, I can tell you that. Two and a half weeks before it matters who's here and who isn't.

We're clearly very busy.

I think purely based on those in and out on the above. We are stronger defensively without question but offensively we look alot weaker

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Every club he’s played for he’s had some falling out that he ends up on the bench. He’s almost 25 now. I don’t know how many more chances he should get. There’s a lot of ability, but I don’t know if he’s got the mindset to be next level. 

This feels spot on to me and I'd feel quite iffy about this signing.

He's hyped up to incredible levels but has he ever truly delivered on his early potential? Age aside, I'm worried that we could end up in another Coutinho scenario where we have a player who's not cut out to perform in the PL but we're stuck paying them insane wages waiting for their contract to end. He was hardly impressive at Chelsea.

Edited by JPAngel

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What falling out did he have at Chelsea, Barca and Benfica?  Only one he's fell out with is Atletico and Simione, and lets be honest Simieone could start a fight in a room by himself. 

Weird how people make stuff up isn’t it? Barca wanted to keep him and the new manager (Flick) likes him too but finances have prevented that… for now.

Dunno how they’re allowed to do it with all their debt but their priority seems to be reuniting Williams with Lamal at club level.

Edited by Jas10

11 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I’m of the opinion that if/when Diaby and Duran leave, we will sign one player to “replace” them. They’ll need to play both as a 10 and a striker.

I think Joao Felix is the perfect profile for that. Any other suggestions?

The Beier link came from someone fairly reliable and he seems to fit that bracket as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Thats where I'm at to.  His reputation exceeds him.  I would rather we spend the big money elsewhere.  He hasn’t really consistently performed anywhere

That's not his fault, that burden was placed on him when Atletico decided to overpay Benfica for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JPAngel said:

He's hyped up to incredible levels but has he ever truly deliver on his early potential? Age aside, I'm worried that we could end up in another Coutinho scenario where we have a player who's not cut out to perform in the PL but we're stuck paying them insane wages waiting for their contract to end. He was hardly impressive at Chelsea.

To be fair, it's not his fault that the fee was £100m and people hyped him up to justify such a ridiculous price tag.

He wasn't ever worth that. Doesn't mean he isn't a very good player though! False and unrealistic expectations were placed on him, based on a fee that was out of his control.

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5
  • Like 3

Just now, duke313 said:

That's not his fault, that burden was placed on him when Atletico decided to overpay Benfica for him.

Yeah that was crazy, never understood that deal.  Only had played 30 games or something crazy like that.  Very strange 

2 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

He's hyped up to incredible levels but has he ever truly deliver on his early potential? Age aside, I'm worried that we could end up in another Coutinho scenario where we have a player who's not cut out to perform in the PL but we're stuck paying them insane wages waiting for their contract to end. He was hardly impressive at Chelsea.

Felix hasn’t scored more than 8 league goals in a season since leaving Benfica. He scored 7 and got 3 assists in the Barca in the league last year. I wouldn’t say that’s all that impressive given his stature. 

• Like 1

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Yeah that was crazy, never understood that deal.  Only had played 30 games or something crazy like that.  Very strange 

He was supposed to be "the next Ronaldo". They wanted in before anyone else got to him.

50 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

"Him" 

Is that all I am to you?!

How dare he not use your proper pronoun, its They/Them 😁

It's about time villatalk hired some diversity and inclusion admin/moderators to prevent this from happening.

Anyway back to transfers have we signed anyone today if nit unia,monchi and the board out.

Edited by Joshie2000

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

City want £70m+ for him and he's leaving City because he wants to be the main forward.

I think he'd play up top for us in place of Diaby - but are you saying he wants to be an out and out striker and wouldn't' t accept that role in the team? 

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Felix hasn’t scored more than 8 league goals in a season since leaving Benfica. He scored 7 and got 3 assists in the Barca in the league last year. I wouldn’t say that’s all that impressive given his stature. 

Yeah... that's not great. I'd honestly rather stick with Diaby and see how he fares in his second season rather than sign another player trying to get their career back on track - although I appreciate the Diaby sale may not be totally our decision if he wants to go to Saudi.

I feel our position as a club at this moment in time means we shouldn't need to take punts on "damaged" players trying to reinvent themselves after stagnating for a number of years and should either be signing players at their peak or those with high ceilings (e.g. Onana, Maatsen, Barrenechea, Illing-Junior etc.)

How many times have clubs, including ours, been burned by that type of signing?

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â