Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Massively improved our squad depth and FFP position.

Onana and Maatsen arguably improve the starting 11 and I'm sure there'll be more to come.

All younger players mainly as well. 

If we do go for Felix… I, for one, will be bloody excited at the prospect of Unai making the most out of his talent/ability and fully getting his career back on track. Would have faith that he could sort any attitude issues out too.

• Like 1

Felix is a player we've tracked for a long time and his skillset would fit in very nicely at the club, particularly with how we play. I'm all for it. 

Jury is out on how much we've improved, especially with so long left in the window. Losing Luiz is rough, we'll see if we're "better" with Onana but I'd argue we're more balanced given he adds traits that we lacked even with Luiz there. Similarly as much as Diaby catches flak from some, he contributed a significant portion of moments, goals and assists that will need replacing (either by players already there or incoming ones), but conversely Maatsen coming in improves a different part of the starting eleven.

Other than that I think it's fair to say the squad/bench options have improved with the other business done. I've a mild trepidation about losing players that have contributed to a couple of hugely successful seasons, but by the time the season comes around and we've a clearer view of how the squad will shape up I'm pretty optimistic that the people involved will have shown that they know what they're doing.

• Like 1

Sugwara gone to Southampton for 6m.

Suggests to me that RB isn't a huge priority this window. In fairness Cash + Konsa have served us well last two seasons and we will see what the Serb kid makes of his chance when he gets in.

Only issue is I'd rather have Konsa + Pau as the CB combination for as many games as possible but we know by now Unai sees it differently.

• Confused 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Sugwara gone to Southampton for 6m.

Suggests to me that RB isn't a huge priority this window. In fairness Cash + Konsa have served us well last two seasons and we will see what the Serb kid makes of his chance when he gets in.

Only issue is I'd rather have Konsa + Pau as the CB combination for as many games as possible but we know by now Unai sees it differently.

We’ve got Kosta. If we sign a RB it will be a higher calibre name than Sugwara. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Unai certainly rates him. Trouble is you don't really want to sign Felix and be seen to be doing him a favour e.g. none of the top CL clubs want him so now he'll consider us (on huge wages). We've seen our squad spirit decline in the past signing those types.

He needs to be 100% committed to joining us so no get out clauses in the deal etc.

Unai certainly rates him. Trouble is you don't really want to sign Felix and be seen to be doing him a favour e.g. none of the top CL clubs want him so now he'll consider us (on huge wages). We've seen our squad spirit decline in the past signing those types.

He needs to be 100% committed to joining us so no get out clauses in the deal etc.

I appreciate we've been in these situations in the past, but I can't see this current management team signing someone who isn't anything other than 100% committed. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Profits from Kellyman (£19m) and Sinisalo (£1m) also missing. 

And Revan

Outsiders opinions aren't overly relevant, Emery and Monchi are building a team to play the way they want, we may not have a squad of superstars on paper but our squad to me looks significantly stronger than last season.

A lot of outsiders also don't account for Buendia, Mings, Ramsey and Kamara to come back in this season.

I'd expect 1/2 big signing on top of what we've done also.

Just now, The_Steve said:

We’ve got Kosta. If we sign a RB it will be a higher calibre name than Sugwara. 

I liked what I saw from him in the AZ games. Only just turned 24 so for 6m he'd have been a decent replacement for Cash if we're looking to move him on in next 12 months which seems likely.

Yeah we'll have to see how Kosta gets on. He is still very young and been injured last few months so I don't expect him to feature much at the start of the season apart from the league cup games.

For Felix I would see if we could get a loan deal, pay his wages and option sign.  Would reduce the risk that he flops and we're stuck with him.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Felix is a player we've tracked for a long time and his skillset would fit in very nicely at the club, particularly with how we play. I'm all for it. 

spacer.png

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I appreciate we've been in these situations in the past, but I can't see this current management team signing someone who isn't anything other than 100% committed. 

Felix does have the air of someone who considers playing for us beneath him, that's just the impression I get. Was really poor conduct aswell from him towards the end of his Atletico Madrid spell.

If we're having to fight off Saudi interest to sign him I wouldn't bother as he'll probably go there.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I liked what I saw from him in the AZ games. Only just turned 24 so for 6m he'd have been a decent replacement for Cash if we're looking to move him on in next 12 months which seems likely.

Yeah we'll have to see how Kosta gets on. He is still very young and been injured last few months so I don't expect him to feature much at the start of the season apart from the league cup games.

I do like Sugwara too. I think he would be a name we’d have picked up if we didn’t get CL this year. Now the calculus has shifted and I expect us to be build a higher calibre squad. 

• Thanks 1

Felix does have the air of someone who considers playing for us beneath him, that's just the impression I get. Was really poor conduct aswell from him towards the end of his Atletico Madrid spell.

If we're having to fight off Saudi interest to sign him I wouldn't bother as he'll probably go there.

Every club he’s played for he’s had some falling out that he ends up on the bench. He’s almost 25 now. I don’t know how many more chances he should get. There’s a lot of ability, but I don’t know if he’s got the mindset to be next level. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, The Inspiration said:

MGW would make sense now with moussa going

That would be a superb signing in fairness, but I don't think we'd go to the fee they'd want, even with the Diaby profit.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Every club he’s played for he’s had some falling out that he ends up on the bench. He’s almost 25 now. I don’t know how many more chances he should get. There’s a lot of ability, but I don’t know if he’s got the mindset to be next level. 

What falling out did he have at Chelsea, Barca and Benfica?  Only one he's fell out with is Atletico and Simione, and lets be honest Simieone could start a fight in a room by himself. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m of the opinion that if/when Diaby and Duran leave, we will sign one player to “replace” them. They’ll need to play both as a 10 and a striker.

I think Joao Felix is the perfect profile for that. Any other suggestions?

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â