Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

His terrible games last season were with Lenglet

His terrible games were passing the ball to opposition that led to goals. Got nothing to do with anyone else on the pitch. He just has way too many lackadaisical moments. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Down to our last seven left backs now he's gone - just Maatsen, Digne, Moreno, Illing-Junior,  Sousa, Chrisene and Munroe left.

Gulp.

You forgot Patterson ;)

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Lenglet speaks Spanish and Carlos probably speaks French since he played 4 seasons there

Felt like on the pitch they never talked to each other though. Look at all the goals we conceded with them when someone would just run unmarked into the box and have a free header from near the penalty spot, Jackson for Chelsea and McTominay scored pretty much identical goals within 4 days in February. Were also the CBs when we collapsed second half at Old Trafford and first leg of the Olympiakos match.

Diego is much better with Pau alongside him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You do see why Unai wanted Nico before he became a higher profile player.

That's the sweet spot, identifying inevitable stars and getting them right before they launch to the next level.

Now everyone with money will be after him.

Genuinely think Philogene could be our Nico Williams.

54 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We’re linked with him? Or did I imagine it?

We were, but looking at the positions he takes up from that video I can't think for the life of me how we'd fit him in

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Carlos needs replacing

While I don't disagree, I don't think we will get all our wants this window. You also run the risk of trying to embed too many new players into the team. 

I don't think Man City would want him...but anyone have a slight concern that a GK merry-go-round could start if Ederson moves to Saudi and see Emi linked elsewhere?

Would they go with Stefan Ortega as their #1? I'm not sure, I think they buy

It seems to be generally accepted wisdom that depending on where Konsa plays, either centre back (Carlos) or right back (Cash) are the most easily-upgraded areas of the starting eleven as things stand.  I like both players but it feels as though there are better fits to be gotten, and additionally just in terms of pure numbers I think CB is the only area of the squad where we're short. You'd generally want five, certainly no fewer than four, but that's where we are considering Mings will still be out of action for a while.

I do wonder if given the bloated nature of the squad already Villa would be best served by staying along the route of signing multi-functional players that can cover at least a couple of positions and get a defender in that could play either role. Being ambitious someone like Mohamed Simakan would be pretty perfect as he ticks so many boxes: only 24, Champions League experience, excelled in numerous positions (CB in a back 4 and 5, right back in a 4, wing back in a 5), fast, good in the air etc. Potentially more realistically, seeing as we're so chummy with Chelsea and they're apparently eager to let him go I still think Trevoh Chalobah could be a really useful pick-up for similar reasons, albeit he'd be less exciting than a Simakan.

I think a player in that mould would more or less address the obvious on paper gaps and then it'd just be a matter of trimming the squad and any more incomings being as a direct replacement for any would-be big departures such as a Diaby.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

You may be right that Onana has been brought as the hybrid player and I know his stats are playing for a struggling side but his stats don't show him to be a good enough passer to be something other than a 6.

His pass completion percentage is as good as Douglas Luiz. Progressive passes not so much, but his options at Villa will be far superior than they were at Everton.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â