Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Villa have got worried it's all "moving too fast" and are putting the brakes on this Champions League relationship...

Sell Luiz and maybe Diaby, Moreno, Carlos, Digne, Ramsey, Duran and Cash and bring back tried and tested players for where we belong; Barkley, Archer and possibly Philogene. That's not at all completely depressing!!

I am obviously being sarcastic/ dramatic for effect but blimey, I'd hoped for a more exciting window!!

It's still early, Euros haven't finished, let's hope it all picks up in next few weeks!

Edited by jackbauer24

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

€60m being reported? Didn't we pay close to £40m...still some profit, but seems quick to write him off. 

I've faith in the management team, but seems to go against the grain of what we've been building. May be other stuff going on of course. Just surprising. 

Depends how high the fee is. 

If they offered 65m pounds not euros then yea why not. IF he was signed for 40m (I have no idea) then we can bank a 30m profit for PSR and try again.

For what its worth though, IMO Diaby is one of our best players.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I am obviously being sarcastic/ dramatic for effect but blimey, I'd hoped for a more exciting window!!

It's still early, Euros haven't finished, let's hope it all picks up in next few weeks!

This is exactly what's happening. Barely any large transfers have taken place - the only ones that have were largely for PSR reasons before the end of June. They were time critical.

Now mostly everyone is waiting on the Euros and Copa to end, or at least that team to leave the competition, or their post tourney holidays to finish. Take the Dutch losing yesterday as an example. Now that they are out Zirkzee and De Ligt deals to United are actually progressing. This is why we are experiencing a bit of a lag, but it will all kick off soon enough for sure.

We head to the States in less than two weeks. I think we will see a lot of news of serious links or even  bids made over the weekend and the following week ahead.

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

I have to say Diaby going would really throw me. There's no real cash/psr advantage. He had a decent first season and would expect to push on next season. Doesn't seem to be a bad egg in the squad. Just seems bizarre. 

Diaby was poor for large parts of last season. No surprise at all if he’s moved on.

3 hours ago, rubberman said:

€60m being reported? Didn't we pay close to £40m...still some profit, but seems quick to write him off. 

I've faith in the management team, but seems to go against the grain of what we've been building. May be other stuff going on of course. Just surprising. 

I don’t think anyone fully written him off. For me I think if he stays he’ll do a great job. But I can’t see him starting unless when we’re forced to. I don’t think having a 60m player on bench is right, if he attracted such a fee. I would argue more if it was Ramsey. It will be hard for several reasons to make his value higher. We have a good cover, and other areas to make stronger. 
Getting JPB won’t be the worst replacement in terms of quality, add to that the financial affect and the fact that he’s home grown. Sometimes selling at the right time is needed, we still need a new CM and forward. I’d also try and use the money with more efficiency. If we can sell Diaby and Duran for around €100m I can’t see how will that be bad move. For two non starters to get that amount, I don’t think we’ll be able to do it if we wait. JPB, Beier and a CM all shall cost less. Then we sell Cash and get Kayode. We could even have a break even at the end of the window. We’ll have a great financial platform to build on while building with a longer term vision. We won’t have to do a sale as we’ve done with Luiz. But we could still have a better value for Buendia, Archer,  Mings, Carlos. We can start sustaining our squad like that. We’ll still sell some of our new players as well. We just have to try and not forced to sell, instead plan to sell the right way at the right time.

5 hours ago, gaz90 said:

Man City have done no business. Liverpool have released a bunch of players. Man Utd have done the same and sold a couple of squad members. Arsenal have finalised the Raya transfer, but that's pretty much it.

We've signed more players than anyone else in the Premier League. The Euros are still on and all we've done so far is lay the foundations for the rest of our transfer window. Don't know how people can say it's not been an exciting window, but it's going to get a lot more exciting over the next few weeks.

I don't think people are saying it's not been exciting. Just that we aren't currently a better team than we were two months ago and we're talking about losing Duran and Diaby too 😅

13 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I don't think people are saying it's not been exciting. Just that we aren't currently a better team than we were two months ago and we're talking about losing Duran and Diaby too 😅

True, it’s mostly anxiety over central midfield at the moment 

If we sell Diaby, we'll surely sign Joao Felix. 

He was Emery's first target for the central position and a more natural fit there than Diaby. 

A lot of people are expecting a Bailey-like improvement from Diaby, but Bailey's improvement was also largely down to a tactical change, allowing him to play wider on the right, with Konsa staying deep at RB and McGinn/Tielemans/someone else playing more central, so he could stay wider where he's happier. He doesn't really play that central role that he wasn't great at any more, and that's also where Diaby is struggling. If Diaby needs to play wide to get the best out of him too, he'll basically just become the alternative for Bailey, which is great to have such depth in one position, but it's not a good distribution of resources through the team.

He's a quality player and had a decent season, and showed potential to be way better, but if we can get Felix in for Diaby and turn a profit, it looks like great business. 

Will be interesting in pre-season who is used as Striker in the games. Mu gut tells me Emery has had a look at Dobbin and seen traits he likens to Watkins and wants to get him time as a Striker

• Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Will be interesting in pre-season who is used as Striker in the games. Mu gut tells me Emery has had a look at Dobbin and seen traits he likens to Watkins and wants to get him time as a Striker

Or Rodgers as I think he’d make a decent centre forward at a push. 

Watkins / NEW

Diaby / Buendia

JJ / Rogers

Tielemans / Barkley

Kamara* / NEW

Bailey / McGinn

Maatsen / Digne

Pau / NEW

Mings* / Carlos

Konsa / Cash

Martinez / NEW

The above list are the players I'd say Emery trusts and has confidence in starting when fully fit and firing. We are down Kamara and Mings for a period of time and they need to get back up to speed when they return.

We then have a new contingent of 5 players who need to learn, adapt and prove themselves in the Premier League. 

Barrenechea, Iling Junior, Philogene, Dobbin, Nedeljkovic, Gauci 

In total if we make 4 new signings and Moreno, Chambers, Dendonker, Duran, Olsen, Duran move on

We'll have a squad of 22 first teamers (with 2 out injured) and 6 up and coming players. That means 28 players and only 25 allowed in PL squad

Iling Junior, Nedeljkovic and Dobbin are u21 players as born on or after 1 Jan 2023 so that means are allowed on second list so we can have 28 players

Edited by CVByrne

7 hours ago, gaz90 said:

Man City have done no business. Liverpool have released a bunch of players. Man Utd have done the same and sold a couple of squad members. Arsenal have finalised the Raya transfer, but that's pretty much it.

We've signed more players than anyone else in the Premier League. The Euros are still on and all we've done so far is lay the foundations for the rest of our transfer window. Don't know how people can say it's not been an exciting window, but it's going to get a lot more exciting over the next few weeks.

But those teams haven't sold anyone key. We've sold Luiz a key player, Diaby possibly off which whatever you think of him as a player he basically played in every game last season either starting or off the bench, and even Duran would be a loss because he is the perfect backup striker to Ollie and has the potential to be a world class player. 

That's why we're not excited. The only player we have signed so far that has excited me is Maatsen and we could be losing three players from the first team squad. That clearly isn't strengthening. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

But those teams haven't sold anyone key. We've sold Luiz a key player, Diaby possibly off which whatever you think of him as a player he basically played in every game last season either starting or off the bench, and even Duran would be a loss because he is the perfect backup striker to Ollie and has the potential to be a world class player. 

That's why we're not excited. The only player we have signed so far that has excited me is Maatsen and we could be losing three players from the first team squad. That clearly isn't strengthening. 

Diaby won't be sold. He's a key first team player and if improving on his first season will mean he's Bailey/Watkins level good. 

We have essentially traded Luiz for Barkley and Moreno/Digne for Maatsen in terms of first team from last season. That's improving one position and weakening one. However we have strengthened the squad with the (likely) additions of Barrenechea, Illing Junior, Philogene, Dobbin, Nedeljkovic. Also Buendia returning

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â