Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

On 09/07/2024 at 02:07, RicRic said:

Can i think of better players we could get right now that are in the realistic bubble, absolutely i’ve mentioned them in my last post.

Do i think Emery has made permanent signings that have failed no, but loan signings have been questionable but will disregard that.

Yes Jas think most of this forum would regard Felix as a special player but that doesn’t mean everything as we know, @TRO and a few others have explained the downsides to this player, now anything over £35m is a huge risk, Atletico well overpaid based on the potential he had which of course didn’t materialise.

His inconsistencies and lack of desire remain a heavy concern, we are best moving to other options, also Chiesa has declined and looked out of place in Serie A, again there are better options available

These things are gambles, much like signing Paul McGrath, if they come off, we all smell of roses....and we have had a few with Paul and Martin Laursen.

It's about judgment....If Unai wants to have a crack at him, who am I to doubt it.

However, We finished the season in a great position, but we are not established in the top 6 yet, so we can't afford too many gambles, right now, and we are not financially sound to make mistakes on big money buys......some more established clubs are in betty shape to ride the poor signings.....A Loan would please me.

I can see, the sheer excitement of getting a player like Felix to shine, and if we did, I have no doubt he would have a huge impact on our other players.

I'm glad, I don't have to make calls like this, but if Unai fancies it, more power to him.

Just now, AshVilla said:

He tore it up in the US preseason tour last season.

Surprised we got rid that summer he looked different gravy.

Actually made the same point when he was sold.

11 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I bet Hull City are begging Philogene to go to Ipswich so they pocket the full 18 million😂

But we’d end up with a percentage of that fee so they’d end up with £13m anyway 

makes no difference who they sell to.

• Like 3

Just now, theboyangel said:

But we’d end up with a percentage of that fee so they’d end up with £13m anyway 

makes no difference who they sell to.

Unless Everton or someone come in with a bigger offer 

The way I'm interpreting this clause is it's a done deal. As in Philogene salary is already pre agreed as part of the clause and thus by us activating the clause we re-sign him. 

Unless he really doesn't want to return and argues that he doesn't. Or if he wants to ask for a higher contract than the clause states and we might give it to him

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brommy said:

Couldn't it go something like this?

Club X bid £15m;

We match £15m and now have 'first refusal';

Club X bid £18m, hoping Villa 'drop out';

Villa match the £18m, gaining first refusal from the player again;

Club X make a last and final bid of £20m, accepting if Villa match it they might lose the player;

Villa don't bid again but have effectively raised the fee by £5m.

Just guessing here.

I mean yeah, it could just outright spook the other interested parties into raising their bids.

However, you'd think it would still rest on the signals they get from the player's camp that he is seriously considering our proposal. So that means we would then have to put forward an offer and guarantees to JBP which he could end up accepting. Which would kinda force us into re-signing him. 

The best I can rationalise it would be that we have gone in with a view that either outcome is win-win. Although the player will get more assured game-time at one of the other suitors, I don't agree that if he did come back that he would be in the same boat here as he was when leaving. Especially considering that Rodgers coming into the side from a similar situation played a lot more than most of us expected. 

If he did return though, it would certainly lower my surprise if Diaby were to be sold at some point in the window. 

In the case of Philogene, clubs do have a duty of care to manage, and I am sure professional clubs like ours, will do their best to align best practice when addressing player welfare.

If he comes back to us, I am sure it's because we want him, and have plans to play him and that will feature in discussions between the 2 parties.

How clubs treat players, travel fast, and is a major component in future transfer deals.

I have every faith, if we get him, its because we want him.....and sending him out to get game time, must feature in his thinking, for returning to us.

I always get the impression with Unai, despite his obsession with progressing the team, he has huge respect for all his players and their welfare, whether they make it or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TRO said:

In the case of Philogene, clubs do have a duty of care to manage, and I am sure professional clubs like ours, will do their best to align best practice when addressing player welfare.

If he comes back to us, I am sure it's because we want him, and have plans to play him and that will feature in discussions between the 2 parties.

How clubs treat players, travel fast, and is a major component in future transfer deals.

I have every faith, if we get him, its because we want him.....and sending him out to get game time, must feature in his thinking, for returning to us.

I always get the impression with Unai, despite his obsession with progressing the team, he has huge respect for all his players and their welfare, whether they make it or not.

Totally agree. He’s a human being still and not simply a pawn for us to make a few quid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

He tore it up in the US preseason tour last season.

Surprised we got rid that summer he looked different gravy.

Trouble is, balances have to be made and I am sure the boys welfare ( game time) featured highly in Unai's decision.

We have to be aware, when the best young talent is being courted, by the clubs, these things feature highly with Parents and advisors.....it's a fair old balancing act, these modern managers have to make.

Fortunately for us, we have one, who's judgment I trust.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Unless Everton or someone come in with a bigger offer 

If other clubs come in with bigger offers we can decide to not sign Philogene and take out 30% cut of the bigger fee. It's all in our own hands and Everton are a friendly club to us and West Ham are trying to sign Duran

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Him and his agent will become multi millionaires overnight. I'm sure he will be fine😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Totally agree. He’s a human being still and not simply a pawn for us to make a few quid.

There is a business to consider, but as you say, there is a human being involved too.

I believe, if we do the right things morally, the money will follow eventually....I have the impression, Unai is well aware of that.

• Like 1

Villa is short by 2/3  senior club trained players to register for CL. 

here are the options we can buy/loan back in…

Jack.
Carney. 
Philogene.
A.Ramsey. 
Calum O’Hare. 

Otherwise it’s this 4 to be registered 

J.Ramsey. 
Archer. 
KKH. 
Sinisalo. 

So Philogene would be a welcome addition for that alone. But I believe he wants game time… and I genuinely feel he’s going to Ipswich 

11 minutes ago, Indigo said:

This team is going to absolutely cook next season.

image.png.f46aa215548df803601ba5021ca664a6.png

Not one player that can defend… we don’t need any negativity like that in our team… just full force attack!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Him and his agent will become multi millionaires overnight. I'm sure he will be fine😂

An interesting by product of being a modern day elite footballer.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â