Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

47 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Yeah, I'd take Merino. 

But as I’ve said before, not Ferran Torres.  Again looks poor, rugby tackled a player to get his yellow card in the middle of the game and went on a solo run and fell over his own feet to name just a few times he looked average.  No thanks to those who keep mentioning his name for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

Not to fussed about links to flair players.  Scoring goals was not the issue last season, and certainly not going to be the issue this coming season with both JJ and Buendia returning to the fray.  Our offensive output should be at least on par with last season imo.

The elephant in the room was our swiss cheese defense.  We allowed over 60 goals which is abysmal.  I'd like to think that UE and Monchi are focused on shoring up the back4 and midfield.  That is where the priority lies. Full stop.  Villa need a 15-20 goal improvement on goals allowed.  The prior season we allowed around 45 goals- which frankly is bang average.  We need to get back there at a minimum.  UTV

I think a combination of losing Mings & Kamara really hurt our defense & defensive numbers. But, you also have to take into account that 10 of the goals we conceded were Matchweek 1 (Mings injury) and 38 (where we clearly didn't care).

The issue now is that we can't really upgrade our defense unless one of the defenders goes out the door with our large (even bloated) squad size. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think a combination of losing Mings & Kamara really hurt our defense & defensive numbers. But, you also have to take into account that 10 of the goals we conceded were Matchweek 1 (Mings injury) and 38 (where we clearly didn't care).

The issue now is that we can't really upgrade our defense unless one of the defenders goes out the door with our large (even bloated) squad size. 

I was hoping that one of the 2 left backs we've signed or the new defensive midfielder might make a bit of a difference.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

There are definitely a few we should  move on, but feels mad to say that we have a large squad when one of the issues we had last season was how thin the squad  appeared at times. Not necessarily  disagreeing with you, more an observation that it's a finer balance between bloated and paper thin than it might seem at first. Of course, we had plenty of injuries, but then injuries happen. I think what this means is that we need to be able to bring through our young players more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

Fullkrug would be an absolute monster in the Premiership and even though he's 31 now I can't see him willing to be second choice to Watkins.

Like him as an old fashioned forward though.

Perfect for Dycheball.

19 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

There are definitely a few we should  move on, but feels mad to say that we have a large squad when one of the issues we had last season was how thin the squad  appeared at times. Not necessarily  disagreeing with you, more an observation that it's a finer balance between bloated and paper thin than it might seem at first. Of course, we had plenty of injuries, but then injuries happen. I think what this means is that we need to be able to bring through our young players more. 

Well it isn’t mad, it’s the fact that the manager felt some of our squad options were basically unusable.

He isn’t suddenly going to want to play Chambers and Hause so they just take up room on the wage bill.

He clearly didn’t want Dendonker/Irognubam

the numbers need clearing out for wage and amortisation and replacing with fewer but higher quality players. In doing that we don’t break FFP and we have more usable players. 

20 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I completely agree with you. at times last season it felt like the squad was at its barebones. Just looking at squad registration now, we have 3 slots open from players leaving (Zaniolo, Lenglet-- though he still is in the first team squad on OS for some reason, and Luiz). Not sure if Tim was registered or was a player who didn't need to be. We've added 4 first teamers to that (Maatsen, Barkley, Illing-Junior, & Barrenechea) and Dobbin who I'm not sure if will need to be registered. Then we have our returning loanees: (Nedeljkovic, Dendoncker, Sinisalo, Sousa & Marschall -- Sinisalo would need to be sold/loaned or registered, and I'd assume we will try to sell Dendoncker again, not sure about the others though). Was it known if we unregistered Mings/Buendia after their injuries last August? If so, then you have to add those 2 as well. 

46 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I was hoping that one of the 2 left backs we've signed or the new defensive midfielder might make a bit of a difference.

Maatsen from what I've seen is a super attacking wingback & Illing-Junior hasn't properly played at full back -- and not sure he will be playing a defensive position? 

• Like 1

Conceicao would be a good pick up for us as a long term Bailey replacement and for spells in the season where he's out for a few games.

Didn't know he was at Ajax for two years so that move abroad was too early.

3 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Not sure I would want either, they both seem highly talented but inconsistent, however, if pushed Chiesa.

Same here, I also think Felix looks so unsympathetic and plays too much for himself, Chiesa I think is too similar to Buendia. Neither Felix nor Chiesa is worth to gamble on for those wages.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Same here, I also think Felix looks so unsympathetic and plays too much for himself, Chiesa I think is too similar to Buendia. Neither Felix nor Chiesa is worth to gamble on for those wages.

That and we have no space for them in the squad.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â