Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

11 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We’re not going to sign a third choice 6 “just in case”. We’ll make do with Barkley or Tielemans or even McGinn in that role until Kamara is back firing to go. 

Kamara won't be back until January, and even then it will take him longer to get back up to speed, by then then we could be out of the CL and half PL season will be over.  Barrenechea will not be thrown into the deep end and play every game from now until Kamara is back, we will sign a DM probably a loan same as Lenglet and Zaniolo came in as loan cover.

• Like 2

Emery knows better than any manager what it takes for a smaller club to make it during a long league & Europe season. I'm confident he'll make sure we have as good a squad as we can to manage the challenge. Absolutely certain he's not looking at the current midfield (or squad) and thinks this is good enough.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Emery knows better than any manager what it takes for a smaller club to make it during a long league & Europe season. I'm confident he'll make sure we have as good a squad as we can to manage the challenge. Absolutely certain he's not looking at the current midfield (or squad) and thinks this is good enough.

Never had so much faith in a manager before. He knows exactly what we need. There’s still lots of time to bring in the right players. 

• Like 2

Just now, The_Steve said:

Never had so much faith in a manager before. He knows exactly what we need. There’s still lots of time to bring in the right players. 

With Konsa at the back, Bailey in attack?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Do you not remember him complaining about a lack of minutes last season?

Kamara's not going to be injured forever and is very much first choice when he's back. Barrenchea deputises until then and we've got 3 options for the other CM role. 

That was the press asking him about it, of course he wanted to play but my point was when he signed he knew we had 2 outstanding players in that position. He still signed for us and that was after we finished 7th not 4th.

I think based on current personnel, Barkley and Tielemans will start at West Ham in CM with McGinn further forward. That leaves just one CM/DM (Enzo) as the backup. Kamara might not feature in a matchday squad until January next year which is halfway through the season so let's forget about him for now. If Barkley or Tielemans got injured we would be in trouble, if both got injured we'd be in a crisis.

Plus, that area of the pitch is on paper weaker than last season so I'm advocating a top level signing, not just any old CM. Barkley and Enzo are higher risk signings than Tielemans IMO, so that area of the pitch is a real uncertainty at the moment. It would be good to bring in a proven CM that is more of a sure thing to give us confidence in that position. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Our current available midfield options are McGinn, Tielemans, Barkley, Ramsey, Rogers, Barrenchea, Dendoncker and Chambers. With Kamara to come in 

The sand people of VT are easily started by this..

Yet, that’s a full, decent and competitive midfield, with some versatility for different roles and positions. 

could it be better, yes. Will it be better, more than likely. Will it be a disaster if it’s no new midfielders are signed, no. 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

On the whole CM debate I think we will sign another in there and here’s why:

We had Barkley wrapped up pretty quickly and we were keen on McKennie as part of the Dougie deal. Surely it’s stands to reason that as we didn’t get McKennie and we got a DM instead we are still looking to bring in a CM. I think we will bring in a proper Doug replacement in the coming months. Maybe Banea (I think that’s how it spelt) after the euros. 

Being optimistic. I'd like to keep Duran as feel he'll improve again and we gave him every opportunity for a move and if one doesn't materialise then he can stop with his liking of Chelsea tweets and focus on his football. Another good season and we can sell him next June for a bigger fee in same accounting year 

If we can move Archer, Carlos, Moreno, Dendonker and Chambers on.

While bringing in a new younger CB for Carlos.Then we add Hermoso and Gallagher to what we've got. 

That's a deep squad then. That's a squad with multiple options per position. Where we can have 3/4 players out injured and have real quality off the bench still. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Our current available midfield options are McGinn, Tielemans, Barkley, Ramsey, Rogers, Barrenchea, Dendoncker and Chambers. With Kamara to come in 

Yet, that’s a full, decent and competitive midfield, with some versatility for different roles and positions. 

could it be better, yes. Will it be better, more than likely. Will it be a disaster if it’s not, no. 

Dendoncker and Chambers aren't wanted, we will be looking to move them on, they aren't good enough. Enzo will replace them in the squad. 

Ramsey and Rogers I don't see being away to play in a 2-man midfield. They could work in a 4-3-3 maybe but we don't play that. 

So that leaves only the four options and that isn't enough when one of those four is going to be playing further forward. 

Posted (edited)

We're obvously going to sign at least one more central midfielder, that can play in a midfield two, none of McGinn, Tielemans, or Barkley are particularly suited to playing in a two man midfield. We will sign at least one more CM as Luiz replacement and that player will be first choice alongside Kamara when both fit.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Dendoncker and Chambers aren't wanted, we will be looking to move them on, they aren't good enough. Enzo will replace them in the squad. 

Ramsey and Rogers I don't see being away to play in a 2-man midfield. They could work in a 4-3-3 maybe but we don't play that. 

So that leaves only the four options and that isn't enough when one of those four is going to be playing further forward. 

Don’t worry fellow sand person.  The process will prevail 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

could it be better, yes. Will it be better, more than likely. Will it be a disaster if it’s no new midfielders are signed, no. 

i see your point, but imo only 3 of those are actually competent playing in a central 2 in Emery's system, ie: barrenchea, tielemans and Barkley (if he can apply his Luton form to us).

Donk & Chambers will almost certainly be sold, McGinn cant play the CM role like Emery needs, he looked terrible whenever he played centrally (or at least, looked terrible more often than not), and Ramsey/Rogers/McGinn are all the players suited to the forward positions (LM/RM/AM/SS).

In reality, Tielemans is also better suited to a more forward thinking role, even if he can play the DM/CM positions well.

I dunno, hard to nail down 4 players for that DM/CM pairing, but i would say its currently at most 3 who suit those roles well (Barkley/Tielemans/Barrenchea), so by that, we do need 1 more, at least.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Racist.

In all seriousness, we definitely need another CM.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Totally disagree with this.

There isn’t a tried and trusted CL midfielder in there. Dendoncker and Chambers are done at the Villa and will probably be shipped out.

Barkley was probably purchased as a 1st change squad depth midfielder although I do rate him and Barrenchea is of unknown quality?

Consequently Villa’s midfield is still very weak when you consider trying to be competitive in the Premiership and CL so that’s why I’m convinced Villa will sign two quality midfielders before the window shuts.

I’d like one of those midfielders to be Chelsea’s best player last season, Gallagher.

41 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I disagree.

McGinn - Can't Defend, better wide or further forward.
Tielemans - Can't Defend.
Barkley - Can't Defend.
Ramsey - Attacking Midfielder, better wide or further forward.
Rogers - Attacking Midfielder, better wide or further forward.
Barrenechea - Inexperienced/Backup DM.
Dendoncker - Surplus to requirements.
Chambers - Surplus to requirements
Kamara - Injured

If we go into this season with this midfield, then enjoy the Champions League this season as it will be a novelty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Totally disagree with this.

There isn’t a tried and trusted CL midfielder in there. Dendoncker and Chambers are done at the Villa and will probably be shipped out.

Barkley was probably purchased as a 1st change squad depth midfielder although I do rate him and Barrenchea is of unknown quality?

Consequently Villa’s midfield is still very weak when you consider trying to be competitive in the Premiership and CL so that’s why I’m convinced Villa will sign two quality midfielders before the window shuts.

I’d like one of those midfielders to be Chelsea’s best player last season, Gallagher.

Who are you shifting to get two more in?

after Chambers, Donks, Digne, Moreno out, it’s still one in one out 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Who plays there if heaven forbid Barrenchea gets injured or three match ban like Kamara?

We spent months last season complaining about players getting injured for periods so seems a bit negligent to then leave a critical position in the team understocked.

5 options for 3 or even 4 starting positions in games really isn't excessive at all, I'd say it's more light if anything as we also barely have any back up from the bench if they're starting.

And we're net +1 CM who'll actually get meaningful minutes.

You can make the argument that we need an infinite squad of players because X might get injured, and then Y gets injured etc etc.