Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 minute ago, Mr_Dogg said:

There is no possible way the management team agree with you on that one.

I genuinely feel there is a lot more business to be done… that Monchi has big plans that have been guided and approved by Unai…

It’s early days yet, the wheeling and dealing is not done either.

48 minutes ago, lexicon said:

That's four for two positions, five including McGinn - three of whom are going to be expecting a fair whack of game time. If we do sign another CM, he's going to have to be OK with only being promised rotation minutes. I don't see a big signing there. 

CM is such a key position and if we play a pressing game we need quality off the bench also. I think CM and CB are where we will need 5 players for whom that is their best position. 

Luiz, Iroegbunam, Dendonker and Chambers are all players who played CM last season and all departing or departed. 

We've brought in 2 players (essentially Luiz and Iroegbunam replacements). Kamara will be half way through the season before he's back fully match fit. 

Edited by CVByrne

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I don't think we need another CM tbh mate. We've got Barkley and Barrenchea in and only Luiz out. 

CB, RB, back-up goalie are the three positions I'd prioritise.

I disagree if thats our midfield options we are looking alot weaker. I dont think we are remembering what luiz added to us. He played most games, took most of setpieces, scored goals, took our pens and got alot of assists.

Neither of the above two players are going to do that. And youris been picking up injuries and been abit inconsistent.  We need another there

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Linked to Juve defender Dean Huijsen

Thia would be a top signing but i cant see it we would have git this done as part of the luiz agreement if juve were willing to sell

Unless he is valued more and we couldnt pay the fee until after july 1st then that would make sense 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Thia would be a top signing but i cant see it we would have git this done as part of the luiz agreement if juve were willing to sell

Unless he is valued more and we couldnt pay the fee until after july 1st then that would make sense 

It could also be why Juve have a little more cash for other transfers 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The reports were that him and Soule were too expensive to include within the deal as I guess we needed a certain level of cash from the Dougie sale… Hopefully we can get a deal done for him as if he continues in his current trajectory we could at least double our money within a few years easily … 

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

CM is such a key position and if we play a pressing game we need quality off the bench also. I think CM and CB are where we will need 5 players for whom that is their best position. 

Luiz, Iroegbunam, Dendonker and Chambers are all players who played CM last season and all departing or departed. 

We've brought in 2 players (essentially Luiz and Iroegbunam replacements). Kamara will be half way through the season before he's back fully match fit. 

Chambers is a massive stretch there. Tim and Dendoncker didn't really play that many meaningful minutes. 

We already have 5 who can play there. 

That's four for two positions, five including McGinn - three of whom are going to be expecting a fair whack of game time. If we do sign another CM, he's going to have to be OK with only being promised rotation minutes. I don't see a big signing there. 

Barkley, McGinn, Tielemans and Barrenechea are our current options that are fit, I'm not including Dendoncker as he's obviously not wanted and will either be sold or failing that loaned out.

If we brought in a top quality CM, I'd see Barkley and Barrenechea being the sub/rotation options and the new signing going straight into the team. So no they wouldn't have to be happy being a rotation option. Even so, Tielemans was seemingly ok with it given when we signed him he had Luiz, Kamara and McGinn in front of him.

I'd put CM, RB and CB as the most pressing options to get resolved before West Ham. I don't think CM is unimportant like you're making out. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Barkley, McGinn, Tielemans and Barrenechea are our current options that are fit, I'm not including Dendoncker as he's obviously not wanted and will either be sold or failing that loaned out.

If we brought in a top quality CM, I'd see Barkley and Barrenechea being the sub/rotation options and the new signing going straight into the team. So no they wouldn't have to be happy being a rotation option. Even so, Tielemans was seemingly ok with it given when we signed him he had Luiz, Kamara and McGinn in front of him.

I'd put CM, RB and CB as the most pressing options to get resolved before West Ham. I don't think CM is unimportant like you're making out. 

Do you not remember him complaining about a lack of minutes last season?

Kamara's not going to be injured forever and is very much first choice when he's back. Barrenchea deputises until then and we've got 3 options for the other CM role. 

Edited by lexicon

22 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The reports were that him and Soule were too expensive to include within the deal as I guess we needed a certain level of cash from the Dougie sale… Hopefully we can get a deal done for him as if he continues in his current trajectory we could at least double our money within a few years easily … 

I like the look of this signing along with kayode (spurs signing gray now means they wont want him) signing these two leaves us perfect in defence 

Leaving us with CM and a striker  being only two positions to fill (im expecting duran to go)

• Like 1

He'll be starting at DM surely up to January? Barrenchea currently has similar profile to Luiz who came here in 2019 after a season playing for Girona who were relegated.

Back then he was a long way from the CL quality player he turned into.

I'd prefer someone more experienced for that role even if it's just a season long loan as we did with Zaniolo and Lenglet to cover key players missing parts of the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Kamara's not going to be injured forever and is very much first choice when he's back. Barrenchea deputises until then and we've got 3 options for the other CM role. 

Who plays there if heaven forbid Barrenchea gets injured or three match ban like Kamara?

We spent months last season complaining about players getting injured for periods so seems a bit negligent to then leave a critical position in the team understocked.

5 options for 3 or even 4 starting positions in games really isn't excessive at all, I'd say it's more light if anything as we also barely have any back up from the bench if they're starting.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Who plays there if heaven forbid Barrenchea gets injured or three match ban like Kamara?

We spent months last season complaining about players getting injured for periods so seems a bit negligent to then leave a critical position in the team understocked.

5 options for 3 or even 4 starting positions in games really isn't excessive at all, I'd say it's more light if anything as we also barely have any back up from the bench if they're starting.

i agree.

We paid for only having Kamara as a DM option, when he got injured we were unable to fill the gap.

Going in to this season with only Barrenchea as a DM option would be nuts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He wont but we be lucky if he will be back for Xmas and how long will it take for him to rebuild his fitness up?

Just looking at amortisation values and contract lengths:

Carlos - £6.5m per year amortisation, 2 years left on contract, book value of £13m.   

Could we sell him for £13m? If so, we could then buy someone for £30m on a 5 year contract and we would be cost neutral.  Salaries might not be much different between Carlos and new player as well.

Digne is similar - £5.6m per year amortisation, 2 years left on contract, book value of £11m. 

Could we sell him for £11m? If so, Maatsen is costing us £7.5m per year in amortisation and a much lower salary. So overall a good saving if Maatsen plays as well as Digne.

• Like 1

Just now, DakotaVilla said:

We’re not going to sign a third choice 6 “just in case”. We’ll make do with Barkley or Tielemans or even McGinn in that role until Kamara is back firing to go. 

Some of these guys will be needed further forward in midfield unless we just play two centrally and four forwards but Unai's not going to do that consistently and it looked poor in the run in last season.

Also think people are underestimating how draining the fixture list will be up to January. The CL games will be of a far higher intensity than what we played in Conference league so that will mean tired legs for the following weekend match so we will have to rotate fairly regularly rather than just putting the same 11 out.

Â