Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

That's fair enough, I still think we will get one more CM in.

CB and RB though, for sure. Diego Carlos and Cash should be positions we are looking to upgrade. The issue is trying to move Diego Carlos on, specifically.

I think so too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I think another CM is key. 

Barkley, Tielemans, Barrenechea, Kamara (injured) those are the CMs. McGinn can cover there too but is betteras one of the 10s from RM or off Watkins.

So Kamara is injured, we've a young player in Barrenechea. So two senior CMs whose best position is in the midfield 2. We're short for sure 

That's four for two positions, five including McGinn - three of whom are going to be expecting a fair whack of game time. If we do sign another CM, he's going to have to be OK with only being promised rotation minutes. I don't see a big signing there. 

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If we sold Duran and replaced him with a CM, I’d be chill with that. 

Archer as back up to Ollie is ok to me 

Not for me. Archer's definitely not good enough. We should be looking for a veteran striker to replace Duran IMO.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Not for me. Archer's definitely not good enough. We should be looking for a veteran striker to replace Duran IMO.

Please, no more DOBs collecting their last paychecks

Archer will be alright with better service than Sheffield United. Also he’s club trained, what frees up a spot to have a senior player elsewhere 

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think another CM is key. 

Barkley, Tielemans, Barrenechea, Kamara (injured) those are the CMs. McGinn can cover there too but is betteras one of the 10s from RM or off Watkins.

So Kamara is injured, we've a young player in Barrenechea. So two senior CMs whose best position is in the midfield 2. We're short for sure.

Imagine we lose say Tielemans for 6 weeks in September. It is Barkley and McGinn and nobody experienced to come off the bench. 

Barrenechea isn’t 18. As long as he’s fit and performs well in pre season he’ll be trusted to start until Kamara is fit which then leaves one of Barkley and Tielemans and potentially another Gallagher type to fight it out for the “Luiz” spot. McGinn is a certainty and then one of Rogers/Ramsey for the left Mid spot. 

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Please, no more DOBs collecting their last paychecks

Archer will be alright with better service than Sheffield United. Also he’s club trained, what frees up a spot to have a senior player elsewhere 

It makes more sense to have an experienced striker who is happy to get rotation minutes than a player we can't fully develop and who will get frustrated (a la Duran). There's nothing wrong with experienced players if the price is right. 

Archer doesn't have the all-round game to play for us/in the prem IMO. 

“Experience” quite frankly is overrated unless it’s a sensible free transfer. 

We already have players with experience at playing and winning at the highest level - Martinez - and we played against some of the best teams in the world and beat them in one off games handily last season - see Arsenal and Man City.

Lets not waste tens of millions on premiums for “experienced players” and instead get in some very high potential young players who are intelligent quick learners and Emery will do the rest and we’ll be in a much healthier position in a few years time. 

16 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If we sold Duran and replaced him with a CM, I’d be chill with that. 

Archer as back up to Ollie is ok to me 

I like Archer and think he could be useful as a nippy Defoe-lite option in the right games, but he doesn't come close to the physicality of Duran or even Ollie, which we can't afford to be without. I think we'll go for someone with some presence if Duran is off.

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

“Experience” quite frankly is overrated unless it’s a sensible free transfer. 

We already have players with experience at playing and winning at the highest level - Martinez - and we played against some of the best teams in the world and beat them in one off games handily last season - see Arsenal and Man City.

Lets not waste tens of millions on premiums for “experienced players” and instead get in some very high potential young players who are intelligent quick learners and Emery will do the rest and we’ll be in a much healthier position in a few years time. 

No, it's not at all - it's underrated if anything. This isn't FIFA or FM, you need experienced players in your side as well as youth. 

Oh let's stick Martinez up front then.

Nobody is saying spend tens of millions. We should be looking at who is available on a free or for a Barkley-esque price. 

Edited by lexicon

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No, it's not at all - it's underrated if anything. This isn't FIFA or FM, you need experienced players in your side as well as youth. 

Oh let's stick Martinez up front then.

Nobody is saying spend tens of millions. We should be looking at who is available on a free or for a Barkley-esque price. 

Ok, I’m just going to mention him again.. played over 50 games in each of the last two seasons… Barca in a financial mess…

Gundogan?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Disagree. This experience if meaningful is going to cost 150k to 200k a week. If that’s a minimum 2 year contract that’s minimum 15.6m to 20m in salary alone into an asset with zero resale and that’s without the transfer fee, bonuses or national insurance etc. 

With PSR as it is and squad rules the club will roll that into a transfer fee for a young player that you can then sell on for x 2 or x 3 the original fee. Only exceptions will be frees such as Tielemans, Kamara etc or maybe a random aging striker who’s happy to play second fiddle to Ollie. 

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Imagine we lose say Tielemans for 6 weeks in September. It is Barkley and McGinn and nobody experienced to come off the bench. 

This is a genuine concern, and after what we experienced last season… I don’t see how we can afford to be carefree or just discount the possibility of more injuries and even suspensions.

The step up in terms of challenge and difficulty shouldn’t be ignored either, we largely didn’t impress in Europe last season and were dumped out of domestic cups.

It’s hard to have faith that Youri can avoid injuries, exhaustion, lapses and maintain form over an entire season. He shouldn’t have all the pressure and responsibility heaped on him to be our “main man” in midfield imo and is arguably better in an attacking role anyway. For as good as he is, can we really rely on him to that extent?

McGinn is at his best at RM or even SS. He’s not as good or useful in central midfields but can “do a job” when necessary.

We’ve got to try and keep players in their optimum roles or positions to be at our best more often than not, rather than keep moving them around and having to fill in (causing their performances and levels to drop off or be curtailed) too much again.

We definitely need another, proper CM (not a midfielder who plays on either side) and he needs to be top quality, a proper technician and pass master.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nigel said:

Soule at juventus would seem to be the perfect replacement if duran leaves.  His best mate is here and he's young enough not to demand first team football.

Would be a great signing (best mates with Enzo too) but not a replacement for Duran, he’s an attacking midfielder or winger not a CF.

Â