Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I would think that is a long shot.....Application, does not get enough appreciation, when analysing players, it's all well and good having talent, and its necessary of course, but you have to have the minerals to apply that talent.

Even in this tournament, the lesser teams have shown markedly how application can be a huge obstacle for talent to breach.

I think moving forward, in this transfer window, I think it will be a feature of Unai's transfer choices.

I agree. I just wonder if he needs the right coaching team behind him to help coax that back out of him. It seems like a big part of his golden days were linked to his surroundings. 

Completely the wrong place to bring it up though, as I don't think he's someone we'd even considering taking a risk on, and the mere notion has clearly upset some. 

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Not sure why me saying I don't want it to happen but would be curious how Dele would get on with a manager like Emery falls under the bracket "crackpot idea" 

I’ll give you a proper response, which you’re welcome to disagree with.

We’ve just had our best season of, at least,  the modern era and qualified for CL football (in it’s modern format, not the European Cup of old) for the first time in our history.

We have and are building an exciting squad that is going to try to keep challenging, be as competitive as possible and try to sustain CL football or keep challenging for it.

We’ve just about removed the (vast majority of) deadwood, cast offs, disruptive personalities etc.over recent times.

I don’t want to speculate too much on Duran but he is probably leaving and maybe for one of those reasons too.

We have the best manager we’ve had in the modern era.

OK.

So… I’m sure most of us would want Unai to be free to focus on his objectives and ambition with players that are up to the level, quality and challenge that he demands…

So… why would we take on someone who has constantly struggled and declined so severely and for so long, at more than one club (including a low level or relegation threatened one, where you would think he would have more freedom and less pressure to produce and so on). Why would we waste time and resources on a “rehab project” that isn’t our responsibility and could distract or take away from our priorities and focus? Why put such a burden on Unai???

He wouldn’t be as bad as Coutinho, he would be much worse. The only issue with Phil was injuries and him being past it, his body not holding up - if not for that, or if we got hold of him sooner, we could have had one of the best talents around on our books and helping out our team. He’s a great guy, but he’s no longer cut out for this level.

Our trajectory and momentum has been going  in the right direction and is quite staggering… 

Our ambitions are considerable…. 

Why would we make such a move? And now, with the rules and restrictions in place, we need get our recruitment absolutely spot on and not waste time, money and resources on massive risks and options that, honestly and frankly, aren’t even worth considering and are likely to be a complete waste of time or a potential hindrance of sorts…

At this point, every signing we make has to kick us on or clearly benefit us in the long term. Otherwise, do not bother.

Good luck to the lad, but there are plenty of options out there. Maybe he should set his sights lower and try and rebuild his career in that way… I know he has his issues, but we don’t have to deal with them - as harsh as that may sound.

-

Hope that’s ok, and apologies if you felt ignored or attacked.

14 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Hmm. Maybe Diaby is closer to a SA move than we think?

or it’s just the usual transfer nonsense.

Who knows?

I just try and enjoy the links and speculation… some may materialise… some may disappear forever.

It’s all a wait and see.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

" Left footer "... What a surprise 😁 

I think we may also be seeing some succession planning with our signings as well.

Elite , raw talent which will be ready to take over after a season of coaching and maturing under Unai.

In the likelihood we then see the likes of Leon, Diaby , Buendia etc go eventually for good money.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think we may also be seeing some succession planning with our signings as well.

Elite , raw talent which will be ready to take over after a season of coaching and maturing under Unai.

In the likelihood we then see the likes of Leon, Diaby , Buendia etc go eventually for good money.

We do love our lefties 😆 yeah, we’re not just looking at the short term but will try and set ourselves up for the future or long term.

I just think, with the restrictions, or assume that we will prioritise enhancing the first 11 and boosting the level of the squad for/right now. I can’t stress enough how much of a challenge and step up CL football is going to be (and Unai wants it to be a regular thing for us). We were not impressive in the ECL and need to improve.

Most of these links are BS anyway but it wouldn’t be surprising to see more signings like Rogers and Nedeljkovic.

We have to plan for when players age and decline or have a plan/system in place if we get offers that are too good to refuse for certain players.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Also, we’re gonna keep seeing links to different young attackers with all the talk of Duran leaving and having to be replaced.

Last week (?) it was Beier, now it’s Gruda’s turn… who is next?

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I like we are signing young talents but im hoping for experience too. We need some CL experience type signings 

We need a bit more experience,  but I was probably more surprised than I should have been to see how much CL experience there already is in the squad, and many of those that don't (Konsa, Watkins)  are internationals. Also, from what other posters have written, there isn't  a massive amount of room in the CL squad.

I would want maybe 1 experienced player (CM) and other signings to be young talent with a high ceiling

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

No we don’t. We need good players regardless of whether they’ve played in the CL before or not. 

Ok if you think Cl experience thats your opinion. But it really is crucial if you want to a) do well in europe b) progress in the league. Most players with CL experience that we would look at are elite players

Last season in europa you could see the lack of experience in games

4 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

We need a bit more experience,  but I was probably more surprised than I should have been to see how much CL experience there already is in the squad, and many of those that don't (Konsa, Watkins)  are internationals. Also, from what other posters have written, there isn't  a massive amount of room in the CL squad.

I would want maybe 1 experienced player (CM) and other signings to be young talent with a high ceiling

Yes the euros experience is going to help players like konsa and watkins. But when we are playing the likes of real madrid, or munich who are going to better than any european team we have faced since the 1980s only players like torres bailey and diaby have that sort of experience 

You are right about CL numbers but i think duran cash and carlos may go opening spaces

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes the euros experience is going to help players like konsa and watkins. But when we are playing the likes of real madrid, or munich who are going to better than any european team we have faced since the 1980s only players like torres bailey and diaby have that sort of experience 

You are right about CL numbers but i think duran cash and carlos may go opening spaces

Digne, Carlos, Maatsen and quite a few others - someone put together a list (possibly a tweet and in this thread) and it might have been as many as 8 or 9 players with at least some experience.  Dibu 2 games I think. 

But to find it we'd have to trawl back through umpteen pages of debate (?) about  someone we've  already sold 😁

Just now, lexicon said:

The only attacker we might need at the moment is a replacement for Duran. We're set in midfield/on the wing. I don't buy it. 

We need to sort out the defence.

Should definitely be the priority. Followed by a CM and then a replacement if/when Duran leaves.

• Like 1

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Should definitely be the priority. Followed by a CM and then a replacement if/when Duran leaves.

I don't think we need another CM tbh mate. We've got Barkley and Barrenchea in and only Luiz out. 

CB, RB, back-up goalie are the three positions I'd prioritise.

Just now, lexicon said:

I don't think we need another CM tbh mate. We've got Barkley and Barrenchea in and only Luiz out. 

CB, RB, back-up goalie are the three positions I'd prioritise.

That's fair enough, I still think we will get one more CM in.

CB and RB though, for sure. Diego Carlos and Cash should be positions we are looking to upgrade. The issue is trying to move Diego Carlos on, specifically.

• Like 2

Â