Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I feel sorry for any new midfielder coming in. They not just have to live up to Doug as player, they got to live up to the myth of Doug too

He was pretty ordinary for second half of the season and mostly poor in the conference too. 

The drop off without Kamara was noticeable bad. Danny Drinkwater without Kante bad, not quite, but it was bad enough to make him look ordinary 

Could look at it the other way. Since Doug was apparently so bad any schmo should be able to come in and shine without much effort. Surely any player would feel comfortable walking into that situation?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Let’s hope that’s the case 

You seem confident enough about it.

How do you feel about Ollie by the way? He only scored 3 in the last 10 games in the league. That's at least as bad a drop off as Luiz had. Time to ship him out too?

2 minutes ago, sne said:

You seem confident enough about it.

How do you feel about Ollie by the way? He only scored 3 in the last 10 games in the league. That's at least as bad a drop off as Luiz had. Time to ship him out too?

yeah, I feel like we going to have a decent midfield next season, not just Boubs and someone else, but the midfield as a whole. more functional regardless who’s picked 

Ollie does a lot more than goals, and there isn’t many CFs better than him. 

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

yeah, I feel like we going to have a decent midfield next season, not just Boubs and someone else, but the midfield as a whole. more functional regardless who’s picked 

Ollie does a lot more than goals, and there isn’t many CFs better than him. 

I'm fairly confident we'll bring in another quality CM, we have to. I think the midfield we have now would be badly exposed and struggle big time to keep up with the PL & CL workload. Really interested/anxious to see how our build up and ball retention will be without Luiz and Kamara. 

Here's hoping the ones we bring in gel really quick.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm fairly confident we'll bring in another quality CM, we have to. I think the midfield we have now would be badly exposed and struggle big time to keep up with the PL & CL workload. Really interested/anxious to see how out build up and ball retention will be without Luiz and Kamara. 

Here's hoping the ones we bring in gel really quick.

We probably will if we confidant to make some sales. If we can/do, we are going to get a real good CM. 

im also hoping Barkley can kick on from last season and Enzo can hang with the pace and physicality of the Prem. 

What I’ve seen of Enzo, I think he’ll be alright for us, definitely better than dendoncker and Tim 

19 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We probably will if we confidant to make some sales. If we can/do, we are going to get a real good CM. 

im also hoping Barkley can kick on from last season and Enzo can hang with the pace and physicality of the Prem. 

What I’ve seen of Enzo, I think he’ll be alright for us, definitely better than dendoncker and Tim 

I've only watched 2 games with Frosinone and he only featured in one, which they lost 0-5. Not his fault obviously but I hope people are patient with him.

Edited by sne

Just now, sne said:

I've only watched 2 games with Frosinone and he only featured in one, which they lost 05. Not his fault obviously but I hope people are patient with him.

I saw a couple too and gosh, they play so high and open. If they were a touch pragmatic, they would have survived. One game I saw was a home game with AC Milan, they were 2-1 up and gave the game away for balls going over the top. Enzo didn’t have much to do in that game, but when the ball was in the middle, he was mopping it up without any drama 

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Some people doubt Enzo and Jr, but at the same time want Philogene back, it’s as if every player has to success in his own team. Sometime young players don’t have chances for several reasons, could be that the team have good players in his position, or the manager doesn’t really have courage to try, or a player prefer to go out on loan to play week in week out (better than keeping at the squad and play couple of minutes here or there).

Us selling Philogene wasn’t wrong, although we had a real chance to play him more under Smith in his last full season. Under Gerrard as well (not sure if he was on loan by them). 
Enzo being loan out wasn’t a move that makes him worse actually we wouldn’t have got interested if he wasn’t out on loan. 
Teams wanting to get Philogene would say keep away he failed at Villa. The reality is he needed games to improve and we could give him that. For a player his age, he needed to play and increase his market value. 

Philogene was very good in pre- season so it was a shock he was sold.

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I feel sorry for any new midfielder coming in. They not just have to live up to Doug as player, they got to live up to the myth of Doug too

He was pretty ordinary for second half of the season and mostly poor in the conference too. 

The drop off without Kamara was noticeable bad. Danny Drinkwater without Kante bad, not quite, but it was bad enough to make him look ordinary 

I don't think it's going to be hard on any quality midfielder to replace one that was in very poor form and continually scolded by the manager.

3 hours ago, gaz90 said:

I'm fed up of people quoting Transfermarkt's valuations for players - they're made up out of thin air! No science, no algorithms, just random people sitting there, like you and I, saying "I think he's worth 70m today". Check out their own article explaining this - https://www.transfermarkt.co.in/transfermarkt-market-value-explained-how-is-it-determined-/view/news/385100

People need stop using these numbers to suit their own agenda and just face facts. We don't know all of the circumstances involved in making these deals, so we need to trust professionals with decades of experience who have managed to get us into the Champions League for the first time (in this iteration of the comp). I'd rather trust them than anyone on this board!

Iling-Jr had 1 year left on his contract. Barrenechea has only 1 season's experience in serie A at a team that got relegated. They may have good potential, but they're not 34m pounds worth of players.  To me 25m is about right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Iling-Jr had 1 year left on his contract. Barrenechea has only 1 season's experience in serie A at a team that got relegated. They may have good potential, but they're not 34m pounds worth of players.  To me 25m is about right.

Didn’t we just receive £19m for Kellyman? Both of these players are worth more than Omari. 

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

You're wrong. The talent they posses and the potential they have they are £20m prospects in the typical football market.  Agree Doug would have cost at least £70m to another PL club.

Sorry but Iling-Jr only had a year left on his deal. Chukwuemeka for example was 20m with a year on his deal. But he had just been the best player in the under 20's European championships. He had premier league appearances. And was far more highly thought of than Iling-Jr is now. Iling-Jr also wanted to return to England. Also Chelsea were overpaying for players very heavily at the time. 13m is a fair valuation for him. He was being quoted at 20m when he had 2 years on his deal. He was going to leave on a free next summer if he stayed and Juve knew that.

Barrenechea isn't like Iling-Jr, or Kellyman, or Chukwuemeka. Enzo was never thought of in the regard of the players just mentioned. He has never even played for his countries u21's u20's, u19's or any other youth level. He did well (not outstanding) at Frosinine, his performances improved as the season went on. But it's a huge jump to the premier league, and then another huge jump to the top 4! 10m absolute tops for him. Remember more defensive players always have lower values anyway. So you can compare him with Iling-Jr or Kellyman.

34m No way. 25m is a very fair valuation.

Â