Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I hope we aint signing this bijol guy based off a tournament 

Does that sound like how we operate as a club nowadays? 

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, picicata said:

Does that sound like how we operate as a club nowadays? 

Progress....we used to sign people off the back of one good match vs us 😆

Edited by CosmicVillan
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, striker said:

I find this so funny when I stated some time ago that's exactly what Emery was going to do after the Palace game.

Right about Luiz and right about adding physicality.

Keep reading fellas you might actually learn something.

Looks like we are signing Kalvin Phillips & Ward-Prowse or “Prowse” as you call him.

49 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Thanks mate, all very interesting. So scoring goals is not really a problem for us, and we will get better at that with more players in form, new signings and less injuries.

Preventing them is the concern and something we must address if we want to kick on… that should probably be the main focus of our recruitment.

Without going all - what, but, if, else, etc - it is worth remembering that we conceded 5 on the opening match following 2 players getting serious injuries in the space of 48 hours and everything that could go against us did (let's not forget that Sir Alec picked us as being the team to watch after that match) and 5 on the last day of the season when all the players were let's be polite and say "distracted" from having qualified for the CL and celebrated that rather more than they would / should have been allowed had we needed anything from the last match.  I'm not suggesting that we should ignore those matches or ignore the issue generally but I think that they were pretty major outliers and possibly make the defensive stats look a lot worse than they should have done / actually were.  I mean let's assume that we needed a result on the last day of the season and had drawn 0-0 then we'd have only conceded 10 more goals than the season before (still a bigger number than you might like) and yet we improved our goals for (and hence our overall goal difference) by significantly more.  I'm pushing for a new CB as much as anyone (and probably have more concerns about a Torres / Konsa partnership than most) but I think sometimes data without context can be slightly misleading.  I think just counting our goals against for last season presents a worse story than was actually the case and that there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic and need to panic.  Improve yes but let's not get too carried away when a relatively small sample size had a relatively significant impact.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RicRic said:

didnt we do that with Nil Lamptey once?

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Cant see us signing a cb until/unless carlos departs 

Looking at the UCL roster regulations, we are pretty much at the max and anyone coming in will need to see someone going out if they are to be part of our UCL squad.

Cash --> RB
Carlos --> CB
Duran --> FW
Olsen --> GK
Buendia (Loan) or Kamara (don't register for UCL group stage) --> MF

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, allani said:

Without going all - what, but, if, else, etc - it is worth remembering that we conceded 5 on the opening match following 2 players getting serious injuries in the space of 48 hours and everything that could go against us did (let's not forget that Sir Alec picked us as being the team to watch after that match) and 5 on the last day of the season when all the players were let's be polite and say "distracted" from having qualified for the CL and celebrated that rather more than they would / should have been allowed had we needed anything from the last match.  I'm not suggesting that we should ignore those matches or ignore the issue generally but I think that they were pretty major outliers and possibly make the defensive stats look a lot worse than they should have done / actually were.  I mean let's assume that we needed a result on the last day of the season and had drawn 0-0 then we'd have only conceded 10 more goals than the season before (still a bigger number than you might like) and yet we improved our goals for (and hence our overall goal difference) by significantly more.  I'm pushing for a new CB as much as anyone (and probably have more concerns about a Torres / Konsa partnership than most) but I think sometimes data without context can be slightly misleading.  I think just counting our goals against for last season presents a worse story than was actually the case and that there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic and need to panic.  Improve yes but let's not get too carried away when a relatively small sample size had a relatively significant impact.

Fair, but we need to avoid capitulations like we saw a few times… Chelsea got the better of us and dominated (both in the cup and league) Newcastle at VP too (3-1)… we shouldn’t really be getting thrashed or falling apart in games, needs to be reduced… even better if we can eliminate it and, when we do lose, just for it to be by the odd goal (or even two) but maybe that’s wishful thinking. 

It’s not accurate to state that we only lost heavily or got thrashed at both ends of the season - I get what you’re saying though.

If one or two goals go in, it shouldn’t mean more will follow and we are out of the game. 

We really did struggle at times in the ECL too and were dumped out of both domestic cups… arguably fortunate to get past Lille and Olympiacos scored too many goals against us. We are going to have be a  HELL OF A LOT BETTER in the CL if we want to do ourselves justice there…

And regardless of scorelines… we did get dominated in certain games and struggled.

Not long after that Newcastle game, Liverpool thrashed us and dominated. Thrashed 4-0 at home by Spurs which was considered a really important game. Capitulations against Manure when we should have defeated them every single time… 3-3 Brentford when we should have won it easily.

Conversely, we’ve seen many dominant performances and wonderful results and thrashings of opposition teams too… it’s been wonderful. 

One of the things that was great about us was that “bounce back-ability”… don’t think we lost more than 2 games in a row and that’s brilliant. There is plenty to build on and finishing 4th in the league was a major achievement - especially when taking into account all of the challenges and disruptions we had to deal with.

What we’re essentially talking about is areas for improvement and it’s kind undeniable that we can and should improve defensively. It’s a major priority.

We aren’t the finished article or close to it, but the progress has been staggering and will continue with Unai in charge 😊

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Of course not.

Unai also googled " Best Affordable Defenders 2024 FIFA Career Mode ",signed him to Villa and ran a simulation experiment over 3 virtual seasons as well.

Monchi was in charge of the West Midlands.Village experiment just to make sure more bases were covered and we weren't being short sighted.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Of course not.

Unai also googled " Best Affordable Defenders 2024 FIFA Career Mode ",signed him to Villa and ran a simulation experiment over 3 virtual seasons as well.

Monchi was in charge of the West Midlands.Village experiment just to make sure more bases were covered and we weren't being short sighted.

I just hope we’ve scouted Roberto Larcos, who I believe played for MD Whites.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Looking at the UCL roster regulations, we are pretty much at the max and anyone coming in will need to see someone going out if they are to be part of our UCL squad.

Cash --> RB
Carlos --> CB
Duran --> FW
Olsen --> GK

The biggest issue is we dont want to be in a  position like chelsea were when you have to leave a player out and it can upset them. Cant remember who was left out at the time i think one was badishele (sp?) Thata not good for morale in changing room

56 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Cash --> RB
Carlos --> CB
Duran --> FW
Olsen --> GK

And that doesn’t include Maatsen, Iling Junior and Dobbin (who I’m not sure will make the squad) who we need to make space for, on top of selling Chambers, Dendoncker, Hause, Coutinho who weren’t in the squad in the first place. There’s going to need to be a lot of departures, let’s hope for some Monchi magic to make them disappear 

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Of course not.

20 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’ve always been a fan of Baquistuta…

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

West Ham had 35 million Euros bid rejected for Todibo. Can’t see us going beyond that, especially without getting rid of Diego Carlos first.

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Was hoping we was after Khéphren Thuram as a replacement for Douglas but he’s going to Juve 20million euros 

I‘m a bit envious of the midfield they are going to have: Luiz, Koopmeiners and Thuram. Mostly on the cheap too. Impressive, proper CL level.

And that’s without mentioning the other options they have, Motta is getting treated.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

No, just one game

Cancel Bijol, Dragusin is having a belter of a game for Romania… I’ve seen 37 mins, I’ve seen enough 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Reminds me that the Brazil goalkeeper in International Victory Goal (never heard of it? Knocks FIFA into a cocked hat. Great soundtrack too) was called Bijobs. 

Which  coincidentally is pretty close to Bijol.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Reminds me that the Brazil goalkeeper in International Victory Goal (never heard of it? Knocks FIFA into a cocked hat. Great soundtrack too) was called Bijobs. 

Which  coincidentally is pretty close to Bijol.

In an old version of ISS on the SNES that me and my bro used to play the England team had J. Banks in goal, K. Hoddle and T. Keegan … like putting the first initial made it indecipherable 😂 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1