Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, i think kamara had a big impact on it, but also our defence itself was a bit wonky at times.

we have maatsen, imo we need a CD and DM also.

Cross dresser?

Just now, Jas10 said:

No doubt. Must improve at defending set pieces too.

im not surprised Emery has been going for a few more physically imposing players, such as Rogers, Iling Jr, Barrenchea, Barkley, all are physical specimens as well as technically good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Cross dresser?

why not, cant be any worse than some of our current defenders!?!?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

im not surprised Emery has been going for a few more physically imposing players, such as Rogers, Iling Jr, Barrenchea, Barkley, all are physical specimens as well as technically good.

Yeah, I was about to say the same. We appear to be intentionally adding some height and physicality with our recruitment…

I think @TRO will be happier and have less complaints once we are done đŸ˜†

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Hidden tackle skills too.

exactly, and by DM i meant a Dungeon Master, might help keep some of our players in line.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah, I was about to say the same. We appear to be intentionally adding some height and physicality with our recruitment…

we were a bit of a mid*it/wet paper bag team when Emery took over.....

funny fact, i wrote mid*it, and the forum, or something auto corrected it to short person.....

Edited by MaVilla

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I find this so funny when I stated some time ago that's exactly what Emery was going to do after the Palace game.

Right about Luiz and right about adding physicality.

Keep reading fellas you might actually learn something.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

I find this so funny when I stated some time ago that's exactly what Emery was going to do after the Palace game.

Tell us again about Kalvin Phillips oh wise visitor. :crylaugh:

• Haha 4

It's worth noting that while we do need to improve defensively and that was a weak point when you look back at the season, it was also the most goals scored in a 20-team Premier League season, so it's not like Villa were some outlier for goals conceded by a team in their position. Teams were letting goals in all over the place.

I think we'd be worked out a little bit by the end of the season too, rather than it simply being a personnel issue. Teams had started exploiting how narrow Villa had defended over the season and there started being an increased amount of goals conceded through crosses, teams doubling up on the wing etc. The best teams adapt accordingly though so you'd expect Emery won't have us defending in the exact same manner anymore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, striker said:

You really do hang around like a bad smell don’t you?

21 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

3 signings on one day, has that ever happened before? 
You’d imagine at least another 2 to come in, a cm and a rb. Maybe more depending on if we sell Carlos/Duran (obviously we have archer coming back, but wouldn’t be surprised if sold straight away). 

Id expect 1 in before Walsall, possibly Kayode 

On 30/6/91 Big Ron signed Shaun Teale, Les Sealey and Cyrille Regis. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Araujo is well placed. Mosquera is an absolute beast. Konsa WOW! Having said that his numbers particularly the aerials will be helped by playing right back. This is because wingers are generally small and so winning headers in the RB position as a 6ft tall centre back is almost a given.

image.png.c8bb02eba9e7918d6783555d97b498e5.png

These are Konsa's stats on FBref (https://fbref.com/en/players/0313a347/Ezri-Konsa) for aerials.  At first sight this looks at odds with the stats above - although one is based on Aerials Won (Number) the other on Aerials Won (%age).  The fact is that Konsa appears to only make 1 aerial challenge per match.  I think that is probably the issue.  I don't think our defence makes enough aerial challenges - too many times when the opposition are winning headers in the box unchallenged.  Whilst the stats are certainly impacted by the fact that Konsa has played at RB - he also does play a more hybrid role and so you'd expect his stats to be closer to the average CB than RB.

• Like 1