Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Na but you’re right… and I think JJ does too. I’m disappointed in how many have forgotten that and wouldn’t even mind seeing him leave, big player for us.

Very true, Ramsey is a fine talent. Rogers doesn't have a ceiling, but he is better in the middle rather than off the left. To me Iling-Jr is currently back up to JJ on the left. I'd be starting Rogers in the n 10 position, unless we feel we need more midfield support. For me our first choice 3 behind Watkins is Bailey - right, Ramsey - left and Rogers Central.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Very true, Ramsey is a fine talent. Rogers doesn't have a ceiling, but he is better in the middle rather than off the left. To me Iling-Jr is currently back up to JJ on the left. I'd be starting Rogers in the n 10 position, unless we feel we need more midfield support. For me our first choice 3 behind Watkins is Bailey - right, Ramsey - left and Rogers Central.

Is this where he lives?

spacer.png

Just now, Philosopher said:

Does Bijol have pace, because we need pace at the back (as well as aggression and aerial ability)?

Not something that’s shown or recorded on these stats charts or images is it?

Perhaps Bijol is being looked at as temp cover for Kamara and then can be used as either DM or CB once Kamara is back?

2 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Perhaps Bijol is being looked at as temp cover for Kamara and then can be used as either DM or CB once Kamara is back?

Don’t think so, we have Barrenechea (who could possibly do a very similar job to Bouba) now and, if we brought another DM in, he would presumably be better or more ready/experienced than Enzo. Maybe it’s another backup option though.

If there is anything in the link, I think it demonstrates that our recruitment team clearly know how and where we are lacking in defence. If we can get an aerially dominant CB (who can also play, pass and move)… that’s going to be a big boost.

Hopefully, Mings will be back and in his groove asap to help us out again…

23 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Woah… I didn’t realise we’d conceded so many more goals. We were one of the worst for defensive set pieces…

Must’ve scored many more too though.

i saw a stat somewhere, cant remember where now, that said for any team to ever finish in the top 4, we were second for goals conceded, so yeah, we conceded a lot.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

i saw a stat somewhere, cant remember where now, that said for any team to ever finish in the top 4, we were second for goals conceded, so yeah, we conceded a lot.

Well, there’s the priority then. We have to address that more than anything, it cannot continue.

Easiest or most obvious way we can improve.

-

Where did we stand on goals scored btw?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Well, there’s the priority then. We have to address that more than anything, it cannot continue.

Easiest or most obvious way we can improve.

-

Where did we stand on goals scored btw?

Excluding the top 2, as they just score buckets, the last 20 teams over 10 years who finished 3rd or 4th scored 76, 74, 58, 68, 76, 69, 68, 58, 66, 69, 63, 67, 74, 84, 80, 78, 69, 71, 71, 62.

We scored 76, so joint 4th of the 20 teams who finished 3rd or 4th, over the last 10 years.

which is great, but we scored 10 less than Liverpool in third, 15 less than Arsenal, and 20 less than Man City, last season.

we also scored less than Chelsea (77) & Newcaslte (85).

So, we were 6th in terms of goals scored in 23/24, and joint 7th in terms of goals conceded.

Edited by MaVilla

26 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I reckon Matheus Nunes from City would be a good signing for us.

Might be a good loan for 12 months with option to buy next summer. 

• Like 1

Worth looking at which of our players are on expiring contracts…

These have up to 2 years left:

Mings, Carlos, Digne, Moreno, Kesler, Dendoncker, Buendia.

1 year or less remaining (presumably leaving):

Chambers, Hause, Olsen.

-

Presuming Dendoncker and Kesler will be gone in this window.

I think we sell both LBs as soon as we can. Carlos is a candidate to leave as well.

-

There is probably a certain amount of pressure on Mings and Buendia to show they can reach and sustain a certain level, especially if they want renewals.

They could be the only players remaining, from this list, once the window is over.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Random link of the day is Summerville

We've been linked with him before. Not sure what the source was but it wouldn't surprise me if lots of PL teams were looking at him. 

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Excluding the top 2, as they just score buckets, the last 20 teams over 10 years who finished 3rd or 4th scored 76, 74, 58, 68, 76, 69, 68, 58, 66, 69, 63, 67, 74, 84, 80, 78, 69, 71, 71, 62.

We scored 76, so joint 4th of the 20 teams who finished 3rd or 4th, over the last 10 years.

which is great, but we scored 10 less than Liverpool in third, 15 less than Arsenal, and 20 less than Man City, last season.

we also scored less than Chelsea (77) & Newcaslte (85).

Thanks mate, all very interesting. So scoring goals is not really a problem for us, and we will get better at that with more players in form, new signings and less injuries.

Preventing them is the concern and something we must address if we want to kick on… that should probably be the main focus of our recruitment.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Thanks mate, all very interesting. So scoring goals is not really a problem for us, and we will get better at that with more players in form, new signings and less injuries.

Preventing them is the concern and something we must address if we want to kick on… that should probably be the main focus of our recruitment.

yeah, i think kamara had a big impact on it, but also our defence itself was a bit wonky at times.

we have maatsen, imo we need a CD and DM also.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, i think kamara had a big impact on it, but also our defence itself was a bit wonky at times.

No doubt. Must improve at defending set pieces too.

• Like 1