Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

12 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Bang on… don’t think we will go with that but if we do, we are worse off and it would just make the challenge even more difficult.

Too many people seem to be overlooking the fact that Dougie was super comfortable in possession and passed the ball incredibly well - that’s what we need to replace in the side. The only comparable option with similar capabilities (but actually inferior or inconsistent in other areas) is Tielemans. That’s not enough but there’s also nothing to suggest that Youri could sustain consistent availability and form over the entire season. He has had his struggles, even if he did improve and ended up doing really well - can he maintain or sustain that though? And he shouldn’t be the only option…

This is what Dougie gave us -

Not even mentioning Kamara… but he was just as important in his own way… and won’t be back for a while.

I’m really sad that we have lost the Luiz-Kamara double pivot and it’s going to take a lot to improve or better that… maybe we can do it but we need to spend.

Maybe Enzo can give us some of that, but it feels like a big ask… maybe with some time. 

-

We have to, at the very least, get someone in that midfield who can pass it as well (as Dougie did) and help us maintain control and provide creativity. Maybe other players (such as attackers) can take on more or other parts of the role he had and give us those qualities… His delivery was exceptional, it’s not something that’s common or typical in CMs or box to box players. 

Unai has constantly spoken of control and structure, it’s obvious he wants technically gifted pass masters in his team. And we’re losing one of, if not the, very best that we had.

Until we sort that out and bring someone in who makes us stronger in that regard, at least, we’re not really better off or looking formidable.

I don’t want to sacrifice first 11 strength/quality for squad depth (not that I think that is the intention), what we need is both, for both to be better and stronger. 

We got knocked out early in both domestic cup competitions (didn’t do ourselves justice in any sense, embarrassed even) and struggled in the Conference League (against lesser known and/or inferior teams too), barely impressing on our way. And tbh, we were kind of fortunate to get past Lille.

We did brilliantly to finish 4th in the league (that was our achievement), especially with all the disruptions including injuries, suspensions, fatigue. Superb.

Next season, the challenge will be even greater and the opposition and games will be more difficult. And… I think we would like to do better in the League Cup and FA Cup too…

For that… we need to strengthen. And we have just lost one our biggest contributors and best players, let’s not forget how good he was in 2023.

If we went into the season with what we have now… I can’t lie… I wouldn’t be feeling super confident. I would envisage some struggles…

Fortunately, we don’t have to and we won’t… there is plenty of business to be done yet. So it’s best to be a bit patient and look forward to additions I think…

I’m sure Unai and Monchi have a plan or an ace or two up their sleeve… we have time.

But basically… yeah - I don’t think Tielemans and Barkley is the answer. 

Spot on here, we will need a statement of intent signing to replace Luiz, some of our fans are looking at the greener grass rather than how integral he has been for us esp over the last 15 months, Luiz’s ball playing ability and control of tempo plus his Brazilian skill and flair on the ball is going to be hugely missed ! we have to search meticulously for that type of player who’s effective as well as enjoyable on the eye (no diddy) i hope that the recruitment team are capable of finding that player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Ok ok, our next best option to use a club trained player is…. Philogene,  A.Ramsey,  Callum O’Hare. 

Jeeze, our academy was poor for so long 

JJ & Rogers > JG 

(and way lower wages, and not being busted flushes or pissheads).

• Thanks 1

Agree with folk saying it just seems fanciful that we're going to see another 7/8 coming in, especially if the majority would command decent fees.

For me, the most obvious areas of the starting eleven that needed addressing were both full back positions (Maatsen being a great start), and with Luiz leaving and Kamara still absent another midfielder that can play as a 6/8 and improve the athletic profile of the team, which has been a bit lacking. I'd be delighted with something like:

• Fofana - can cover for Kamara in his absence, but also play with him when he's back (or Barrenechea too if he's suddenly ready-made). Just a good all-round player that offers something the squad has lacked, who only has a year left on his contract so will be available for be much cheaper than he otherwise would be.
  • Stefan Posch - not sure how expensive he'd be or how realistic, but he was seriously impressive for Bologna last season has has followed it up with a good Euros so far. Formerly a centre back that has gone up another level since Motta used him as a right back similarly to how we've used Konsa. Puts up some of the best numbers in Europe in his position for passing and general in-possession stats, but primarily a defensive player. He'd both allow Konsa to play in his strongest position but could also cover CB if needed.
  • Hermoso - just seems a no-brainer to me. He brings great experience, can cover two positions and is available on a free. Mings seemingly isn't going to be ready for a while and the sweet spot is ordinarily 5 CBs in a squad anyway which he'd make up (excluding the likely outgoings such as Chambers). Could also play as a more defensive left back were that needed.

Anything after that you're probably talking one in, one out in terms of the likes of Cash, Duran, Carlos etc, but I think that alone would have the squad looking strong and not too bloated once the inevitable departures happen.

28 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Really impressive from Konsa… anyone we’d like from here? Noticed Kayode:

Araujo is well placed. Mosquera is an absolute beast. Konsa WOW! Having said that his numbers particularly the aerials will be helped by playing right back. This is because wingers are generally small and so winning headers in the RB position as a 6ft tall centre back is almost a given.

25 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

It won’t ever happen, but it’s a potential 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91isgg1wajc7cgxftxvp

I genuinely think he'd be perfect for us. The control he'd give us in the opposition half, along with all the free kicks he'd win, plus the ball carrying and ability to beat a man. He'd take our attack to the next level.

He would drive Unai crazy as the video sessions and dossiers would barely be looked at by Jack!

I’ve just got this feeling we’lll be making some big or even shock signings, might not be more than a couple but…

I remember how surprised we were when we managed to get Pau and Diaby… seen as “beyond our level” at the time.

Still recalling that Araujo (would solve some problems) link (Carlos swap deal?) and the report claiming Unai and Monchi “warned” Barca we were going to come in for him once CL was confirmed 😂 love that and hope it was true 😂

Â