Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

53 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I agree, also I think we'd keep Digne instead of Moreno. He's more experienced and more of a leader (he's part of leadership team McGinn said). Digne has the most CL appearances of anyone at the club. He also performed very well last season and is defensively (he's top 6% aerial duels for all fullbacks). So he provides a very good option off the bench to close games out. 

Crazy as it may sound we could think of offering him a 1 year extension on reduced wages drop from 120k to 100k that's a drop from £6.2m to £5.2m in wages and a drop in annual amortisation from £5.1m to £3.4m. So his annual cost drops from 11.3m to 8.6m. So a 25% drop in his squad cost. 

I think this would be a smart solution

Most people talking about Digne vs Moreno talk about wages - the reality is that to get rid of Digne, we'd need a pretty big offer, just to break even. This is why the club should never* pay massive money for 29 year olds. 
Digne is also different to Maatsen - and Unai likes points of difference in players. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I think this would be a smart solution

Most people talking about Digne vs Moreno talk about wages - the reality is that to get rid of Digne, we'd need a pretty big offer, just to break even. This is why the club should never* pay massive money for 29 year olds. 
Digne is also different to Maatsen - and Unai likes points of difference in players. 

Are you calling Digne a dusty old baller? 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

GK

Martinez

Sell/release: Olsen Loan: Gauci

LB

Maatsen, Iling-Jr

Sell: Digne, Moreno. Loan: Sousa

RB

Nedeljkovic (potential loan option)

Sell: Cash, Kesler

CB

Pau, Konsa, Mings

Sell: Carlos, Chambers, Hause

CM

Tielemans, Barkley, Barrenechea

Injured: Kamara

Sell: Dendoncker

LM/LW

Ramsey, Rogers, Buendia

Loan: Dobbin

RM/RW/SS

Bailey, Diaby, McGinn

CF

Watkins

Sell: Duran, Archer

If all of these players are moved on, there’s plenty of space for adding new and better players and we would have to do it.

There are 17/18 (including Kamara) players who are pretty much guaranteed to stay… and some of the others may (and probably will) too but they are sellable/replaceable.

There is plenty of business we could do…

We will need additions in midfield and attack at the very least. I would like a better 2nd choice keeper but that may be unlikely.

We all want a better RB or someone else who can play the RCB role Konsa has. And a more dominant and consistent (less injury prone) CB, if Carlos is moved on

That's a lot to sell, let alone the impact on the squad.

We've already lost Dougie, Tim and Kellyman - as well as Zaniolo and Lenglet.
Losing Chambers, Hause, Kesler, Coutinho, Dendoncker, and Archer would have about zero impact on the pitch from last season (and bring the wage bill down).
So that's 11 players overall - and I think we need to lose at least 1 LB still. 

We already have Barkley, Illing, Barrenechea, Kosta and Maatsen joining (I haven't included Dobbin as I just don't see a role for him).
Plus having Mings and Buendia back will be great for everyone.

We still feel light in some areas - but we've already been very busy.

The likes of Duran, Cash, Olsen, Moreno, Digne, and Carlos might all be available for transfer - but finding buyers might be hard; and upgrading them for replacements (where needed) also might be tough.

I suspect we've done most of the work already, with perhaps another couple of departures and incoming from the final list.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Losing Chambers, Hause, Kesler, Coutinho, Dendoncker, and Archer would have about zero impact on the pitch from last season (and bring the wage bill down).

We already have Barkley, Illing, Barrenechea, Kosta and Maatsen joining (I haven't included Dobbin as I just don't see a role for him).

The likes of Duran, Cash, Olsen, Moreno, Digne, and Carlos might all be available for transfer - but finding buyers might be hard; and upgrading them for replacements (where needed) also might be tough.

I suspect we've done most of the work already, with perhaps another couple of departures and incoming from the final list.

Fair enough but like I said - it was just a laying out of all potential options more than anything else.

And kind of a response to the notion of us having a full or bloated squad. There are plenty of moves we COULD make imo. Doesn’t mean we will or that all of them will happen. And yeah, you’re absolutely right - we need proper interest and willing buyers. I’m not averse to selling young players for good fees too… especially when they don’t look like becoming mainstays of the squad/team anytime soon… we want success asap, not 5 years down the line for example. 

I get the argument for squad spirit and harmony… and continuation or stability. But… I also think we are making a big step up and if anyone can manage a squad refresh or even a overhaul of sorts, it’s coaches and managers of the level of Unai Emery. And… I only think disrupting the first eleven is a challenge, and we’ve done (or had to) that by letting a key component in Dougie leave.

I sense genuine ambition from Unai and the club… if we want this to be our “minimum level” from now on, then we need to get stronger. Do we really think we have a competitive CL team/squad rn (that can also do well in the league, keeps qualifying, and in domestic cups too)?

I’m not confident about the squad, in its current state, being able to quite cope or live up to that challenge… but I’d be delighted to be proved wrong.

However, I do feel that Unai and Monchi have big plans or intentions. Just got to wait and see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Barkley won't be a starter if our key midfielders stay fit.

He certainly isn't playing DM for us.

My point is the lad should be 5th choice. 
it’s fine signing him to raise the level of the squad from dendonker if he’s in the team we have gone backwards

42 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah, he’s brilliant but I don’t quite see where/how he would fit in and… I hate 5-3-2 formations. Maybe Ezri stays at RB hybrid.

Thought the move to Juventus was almost wrapped up but there seems to be major PL interest and a lot of competition (which would drive his price up). There’s a significant sell on percentage too.

I was thinking of another swap deal if they want Duran…

I agree - I would prefer a right footed CB to come in (or Kayode at RB - although a Pau / Konsa CB partnership gives me aerial concerns).  But IF we did play 3 CBs then Califiori would resolve that particular issue.  I'm not convinced by 5-3-2 either (it was suggested by someone else further up the thread) but maybe we'll just have to persuade ourselves that actually Emery isn't constrained by formations anyway and we already effectively play with 3 CBs when we have the ball and are on the attack.  In which case Kayode and Maatsen would give us plenty of width, pace, energy and tackling to be getting up and down the pitch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

This is pretty much our situation. 

I think Villa’s second part of the window heavily depends upon if we can move on Duran, Carlos, Cash, Digne, Moreno, Dendonker, chambers or even Diaby 

The more of these we sell, the better we can get in. 

get rid of all them and we can get in quality CB, RB, CF, CM and RW, that the squad needs, and an other CB loan to cover Mings

Never thought Villa would have an issue of having a squad that’s too big 😂

fun times 

just 8 out, 5/6 in. That’s all

I’ll just make a more concise list, leaving out the players that could possibly leave.

GK

Martinez

LB

Maatsen

Iling-Jr

RB

Konsa

Nedeljkovic

CB

Pau

Mings

CM

Tielemans

Barkley

Barrenechea 

(Kamara)

LM/LW

Ramsey

Rogers

Buendia

RM/RW/SS

Bailey

Diaby

McGinn

CF

Watkins

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’ll just make a more concise list, leaving out the players that could possibly leave.

GK

Martinez

LB

Maatsen

Iling-Jr

RB

Konsa

Nedeljkovic

CB

Pau

Mings

CM

Tielemans

Barkley

Barrenechea 

(Kamara)

LM/LW

Ramsey

Rogers

Buendia

RM/RW/SS

Bailey

Diaby

McGinn

CF

Watkins

That’s our bare bones squad if we cut the fat. For bare bones it’s still pretty big, 17 unmovables.

leaving us 5 more to make a CL squad and a few more for PL squad

the Five.. CB, GK, RB, CM, CF (or keep Archer and have another CB)

Edited by CarryOnVilla

3 hours ago, burchy said:

Sell 95m

• Cash 25m
  • Carlos 15m
  • Moreno 8m
  • Duran 35m
  • Dendonker 4m
  • Chambers 4m
  • Bogarde 4m

Loan

• Dobbin

Buy 115m

• Michael Kayode 20m
  • Mario Hermoso 0m
  • Youssef Fofana 25m
  • Joey Veerman 25m - (seriously, he’d be great for us)
  • Cristhian Mosquera 25m
  • Karim Konate 20m
  • Matias Soule (loan with obligation)

Job done

Kanoute? Has there been a link to him leaving?

I'd be happy if we just signed a Baena or Goncalves instead of Veerman, but the others I agree would be great. We may go for another CB if Hermoso is free and Chambers/Carlos leave, Mings still has a big question mark hanging over him.

Edited by thunderball

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

That’s our bare bones squad if we cut the fat. For bare bones it’s still pretty big, 17 unmovables.

leaving us 5 more to make a CL squad and a few more for PL squad

the Five.. CB, GK, RB, CM, CF (or keep Archer and have another CM)

Yeah, that’s the objective mate. Outline the barebones or unsellables and see where we could add and really boost that quality to make us a proper competitive team in both CL and PL.

Not saying every excluded player will leave, it’s more about opportunities if that makes sense.

Maybe Monchi is doing something similar 😂

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Kanoute?

I'd be happy if we just signed a Baena or Goncalves instead of Veerman, but the others I agree would be great. We may go for another CB if Hermoso is free and Chambers/Carlos leave, Mings still has a big question mark hanging over him.

Baena and Goncalves will potentially be serious coin though. 

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah, that’s the objective mate. Outline the barebones or unsalable and see where we could add and really boost that quality to make us a proper competitive team in both CL and PL.

Not saying every excluded player will leave, it’s more about opportunities if that makes sense.

Maybe Monchi is doing something similar 😂

We’re in the same place, and I’m sure monchi is too…

one rouge element that can extend our CL squad without losing anyone, is a Grealish loan, CL quality and club trained. 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Really impressive from Konsa… anyone we’d like from here? Noticed Kayode:

Mosquera is already on (only 20 as well). How about Toure at Lorient, where does he come out?

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

one rouge element that can extend our CL squad without losing anyone, is a Grealish loan, CL quality and club trained. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Or bring Philogene back

Â