Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

23 minutes ago, Tubby said:

And to think it could have been McKennie sat there! Phew!

Those chairs are breathing a sigh of relief. 

Seems like two good squad players added but we need a replacement for Luiz now, who is as good or better than him. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

22 million euros for both players. what a bargain! 

Is this what is being quoted? I assume that'll be split across both players and split over 5 year contracts so we've got +£50mil in the bank for last financial year and now less than £6mil per year going out on these two and Dobbin. Amazing business really as long as they can contribute.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zak said:

Ok but then do you think the talented young players are actually worth £18m for both of them, or is that a steal? You can't look at the deals independently.

Barrenechea and Iling-Jr combined have a transfermarkt valuation of £20m or 25m euros. Luiz's is £70m. But for arguments sake let's say Luiz is Worth £60m. That's a £40m difference. The cash we received is 20m. That's 20m or 33% less than doug is worth.

Doug is a champions league quality player, the two young lads we have got in exchange are at best lower half to the premier league standard, that can become champions league quality. However they may not reach that standard. 

The reality of this deal is that we are banking on at least one of these lads to become a 60m pound player for this transfer to be worthwhile. Do not forget we don't know how long or if either ever reach Luiz's level. 

Juve have probably pulled our pants down.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Maybe just wait and see. Whatever Dougie’s relative worth is, he wanted to join Juve, and we had to get the best deal for the club. Numerous sources confirm that Monchi/Unai had a list of players in mind - they said no to Soule and offered McKennie who rejected whatever we offered. So we picked other names on the list. Clearly, Unai and his team know what we need. I trust their judgement on this. 

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

There's no real way of knowing until a couple of seasons on from now, one or both of them might become as important for us as Luiz was over time. The potential is there though. I am excited to see us next season. 

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Maybe just wait and see. Whatever Dougie’s relative worth is, he wanted to join Juve, and we had to get the best deal for the club. Numerous sources confirm that Monchi/Unai had a list of players in mind - they said no to Soule and offered McKennie who rejected whatever we offered. So we picked other names on the list. Clearly, Unai and his team know what we need. I trust their judgement on this. 

McKennie is fat.

Worth mentioning that the club statement mention Illing as a player "comfortable playing anywhere on the left flank".

With that in mind it may be a crumb of a clue that we could play a back three

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Worth mentioning that the club statement mention Illing as a player "comfortable playing anywhere on the left flank".

To me it's more likely that he can play left back or left winger. Not centre back. 

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

There is no way of knowing, but I can say now, the odds either player having a big positive impact this season is slim. The odds of Luiz having a big positive impact for Villa or Juve next season is very high.

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

We're in a really good place on the left now. Maatsen, Illing Jr, Ramsey, Rogers, Buendia, Digne, Moreno.

Deliberately put Moreno last as I think he'll be back playing in Spain in two months but everyone else will be here and plenty of variety and high quality options there.

In a nice place where we can ease Buendia and Ramsey back in after their injuries slowly and if both get going they will be fantastic rotation options as the season goes on.

People critical of our squad but you surely can't say that about the left side, lots of quality and potential there now.

• Like 2

So at the moment we likely have the below (assume Donk sold and Kamara missing time)

spacer.png

Obvious gaps imo, particularly in midfield

• DM ( Kamara understudy)
  • CB, maybe X2 if Mings is off the pace and Konsa is still deemed a RB
  • RB, obviously
  • Striker: Archer/Duran replacement
  • 8, need a Dougie replacement. 

I'd probably have that as my priority order as well to be honest. It's a risk having Dougies replacement further down the priority but Tielemans/Barkley/McGinn/Ramsey should be able to cover it *IF* the DM next to them is up to snuff. If Kamara is due back soon, I'd push Dougies replacement further up the priority

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

There is no way of knowing, but I can say now, the odds either player having a big positive impact this season is slim. The odds of Luiz having a big positive impact for Villa or Juve next season is very high.

But neither are here to replace him so maybe wait for his replacement before judging the impact of his departure 

29 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Time will tell I guess, but if your first instinct is to think this about our recruitment team’s judgement then respectfully I suggest that you will probably be a little wide of the mark with this statement.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

No panic, we've already signed new 4 players. 

Not panicking - excited to see what we might do now outside of swaps/squad fillers. Still expecting a couple of bigger signings to come in now.

Â