Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

35m for a lad who’s never played premier league football how dare they inflate prices like this…..

The League’s little plan for retroactive punishment for “unfair” transfer values just drowned in the toilet. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Gray signed for Brentford

Good for Brentford,  very very good talent and will get plenty of game time at Brentford.  Probably the right step for him and a great buy for Brentford.

• Like 3

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Glad we aren’t spending £35m on Gray. Need to buy a “ready to go” CM.

Agree with this, there's no pressure on the Brightons/Brentfords of the world to achieve a top 4/6 so they have the luxury of being patient and developing these players.

21-23 year olds who can contribute now but also increase in value are the way forward for us now.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness I never even realised it was @allani you were going back and forth with.

Aside from this, I've seen you make the same or similar comments consistently.

So again, what indication have you been given that we won't be signing more players or players of a high quality?

We just signed a Left Back worth 37 mill and it's widely reported that Unai wants more players. ( Yes I know Maatsen is basically part ex but still )

Do you think Unai Emery and the club aren't aware that we need to improve the overall quality of the squad?

Improving the SQUAD is just as important as improving the first team at this point.

I feel we have similar mini anxiety attacks every window.

In truth, we've already improved the overall squad, and have players like Buendia and JJ plus Mings coming back from injury who played no part last season.

No it’s fine, I just don’t get the bickering. We all want what’s best for the Villa, some may be more anxious than others, but we all want the same thing. And I admit I don’t take criticism well either, but I just don’t think we can kid ourselves that our midfield is fit for purpose at the moment.

Look through the players and there is a very strong argument it is the weakest part of the squad. McGinn and Tielemans are better further forward, Barkley is a wildcard signing, could do well, could be rubbish, but even if does well he’s a downgrade on what we had last season. Barrenechea clearly has potential but if we’re expecting him to come in to the team and be as good or even nearly as good as Kamara we’re all in for a rude awakening. He’s an upgrade on Tim but a clear downgrade on Kamara.

I’m comfortable where we are in goal, at centre back, at left back, wide left, wide right, up front. The two weakest positions in the team (in my opinion of course) are central midfield and right back. We do not have a central midfield currently that could compete against the very best teams - we had that with Kamara and Luiz.

You’re right there’s plenty of time left so I need to chill a bit, but I’m an anxious person and there haven’t been many links so far. And we’re in a bit of a hole because Dougie is off and we are going to have to work night and day trying to get someone in and ready for the start of the season which is 6 weeks away whilst also trying to improve other areas if we can like right back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Good for Brentford,  very very good talent and will get plenty of game time at Brentford.  Probably the right step for him and a great buy for Brentford.

Great move for him but £35m for potential is not where we are at. More value outside the leagues here. 

Got to give it to Brentford spending this much on a young player, really puts our sales in to a realistic perspective. 

there’s no “FFP collusion” and this is still the price. 

Archie Gray is as experienced as Tim, as promising as Kellyman and is worth more than both combined 

I guess we were selling our players below “fair market value” 

Or is selling our players on the cheap the problem? 

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Got to give it to Brentford spending this much on a young player, really puts our sales in to a realistic perspective. 

there’s no “FFP collusion” and this is still the price. 

Archie Gray is as experienced as Tim, as promising as Kellyman and is worth more than both combined 

I guess we were selling our players below “fair market value” 

Or is selling our players on the cheap the problem? 

Leeds have serious FFP issues. I’m sure the inflated fee will help them a lot. 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

They will probably be looking to sell him on in a couple of years for £60m +, but it's better he goes there than say Chelsea or Manchester City. It is a very big fee given his age (too rich for us at the moment, I guess). Leeds have got the money they wanted, but Leeds fans will still be unhappy that they are willing to sell him.

I think he may have been better staying another year at Leeds myself and trying to get them promoted (given his links to the club). He is guaranteed games there and could have done a Jack by playing in the PL with them, assuming they go up this time, if not he could have moved on to us in 12 months to work with UE, and "win things" which would make those Leeds fans furious;)

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

Leeds have serious FFP issues. I’m sure the inflated fee will help them a lot. 

Yes, they are, but Brentford ain’t. So there isn’t any mutual collusion to inflate the price. I guess, the price is genuine market value

Just a nice demonstration that our deals wasn’t “inflated”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Agree with this, there's no pressure on the Brightons/Brentfords of the world to achieve a top 4/6 so they have the luxury of being patient and developing these players.

21-23 year olds who can contribute now but also increase in value are the way forward for us now.

Fair enough, but if they are good enough, they could well be old enough. 

12 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We aren't supposed to but the rules on starting threads went out the window years ago

I wouldn’t mind if some rules were brought back. We’re getting too many starting based upon some iffy sources or tentative links

Edited by CarryOnVilla

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chelsea will likely be selling these young players for double or triple in a few years.

Even the ones who will probably never play for them.

It's quite frustrating.

They’ll decrease in value, they can’t give them all enough game time for them to develop. 

• Like 2

There have been many individual player speculation threads on this forum going back more than ten years, not sure where people get the idea that it's a new thing, or suddenly they're being posted with little evidence that the transfer is going to happen, it's always been like that, you can go back and see for yourself by looking at the speculation tag, there was never a time where they were only posted if the rumour came from some so called 'tier one' source, I think the only rule is that they can't be started based on sources listed in the speculation blacklist thread, but most mainstream media sources are okay, a speculation thread for an individual player is just like this thread, but speculation for that individual player, it's not meant to mean that the transfer is on the verge of happening

Our interest was in Gray was reported by reporters for the BBC and The Athletic this afternoon, look on the speculation tag and see that that's a more reliable source than the basis for the majority of individual transfer threads gong back years and years

• Like 1

Â