Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, burchy said:
  • LM: Ramsey, Rogers, Iling Jnr
  • CM: Koopmeiners, Tielemans,      
            Barkley
  • DM: Fofana, Kamara, Barrenechea
  • RM: Buendia, McGinn, Soule

If Koopmeiners is indeed off to Juventus then swap him for Kokcu. 

Quality and depth across the middle. 

Kokcu was struggling in Portugal for most of the season

53 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I've been looking through the squad and it is clear we have underinvested in the central midfield compared to the rest of the squad. 

In attack we have spent big money on Watkins, Bailey, Buendia and Diaby. In defence big money on Carlos, Mings, Torres and Maatsen. Martinez for a goalkeeper wasn't cheap (although brilliantly spent).

Luiz was our most expensive central midfielder at £15m and he's off. McGinn - £3m, Tielemans - free, Kamara - free, Barkley - £5m. Obviously Kamara, Tielemans and McGinn are worth far more than we paid for them but Kamara is now injured for a while. I'd like to see us spend £30-40m on at least one central midfielder in July because it is necessary.

In contrast our rivals have spent much more than us in this area of the pitch:

• Spurs - Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Bissouma were all £20m+
  • Chelsea - hundreds of millions spent
  • Newcastle - spent about £100m on Guimaeres and Tonali 
  • Man Utd - poor midfield but spent a lot on likes of Mount and Casemiro (badly spent of course)
  • Liverpool - spent summer 2023 fixing their midfield by spending around £100m on MaCallister and Szoboszlai 

And of course Arsenal and Man City have spent a fortune on their midfield too. All those midfields except maybe Man Utd are a fair bit better than ours. 

If we don't sort this area of the pitch out ASAP we will be in trouble going into next season. 

I agree on Central Midfield. I think we need another all rounder type CM akin to McGinn in terms of versatility. 

I think if Duran moves on we need another forward ideally one who can play with Watkins and in place of Watkins.

I see us needing 5 CBs with two LCBs needing to be key in the attacking build up like Pau. Hence feel Hermoso will join.

We'll have two LBs who play key attacking roles. We'll have two Right Backs (I think one will be new). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chelsea will likely be selling these young players for double or triple in a few years.

Even the ones who will probably.never okay for them.

It's quite frustrating.

Just our role in the chain right now. Derby no doubt said exactly the same about us when we took Kellyman off them.

As long as we’re continuing to bring them through, eventually we’ll be in a position to keep hold of them.

• Like 2

After this weekend we will have spent £11m net so far in this window, got ourselves out of any potential PSR punishments, and completed the below deals...

IN - Maatsen, Dobbin, Iling-Junior, Barrenechea

OUT - Douglas Luiz, Iroegbunam, Sanson, Coutinho

Of course it's disappointing to lose Dougie, but we are in a much stronger position overall to bring in a few more top quality players before the window closes.

EDIT - I completely forgot about Kellyman, which actually means we've possibly made a profit this window.

Edited by jacketspuds
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chelsea will likely be selling these young players for double or triple in a few years.

Even the ones who will probably.never okay for them.

It's quite frustrating.

Has Chuk increased in value since we sold him? Doubt it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

I've been looking through the squad and it is clear we have underinvested in the central midfield compared to the rest of the squad. 

In attack we have spent big money on Watkins, Bailey, Buendia and Diaby. In defence big money on Carlos, Mings, Torres and Maatsen. Martinez for a goalkeeper wasn't cheap (although brilliantly spent).

Luiz was our most expensive central midfielder at £15m and he's off. McGinn - £3m, Tielemans - free, Kamara - free, Barkley - £5m. Obviously Kamara, Tielemans and McGinn are worth far more than we paid for them but Kamara is now injured for a while. I'd like to see us spend £30-40m on at least one central midfielder in July because it is necessary.

In contrast our rivals have spent much more than us in this area of the pitch:

• Spurs - Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Bissouma were all £20m+
  • Chelsea - hundreds of millions spent
  • Newcastle - spent about £100m on Guimaeres and Tonali 
  • Man Utd - poor midfield but spent a lot on likes of Mount and Casemiro (badly spent of course)
  • Liverpool - spent summer 2023 fixing their midfield by spending around £100m on MaCallister and Szoboszlai 

And of course Arsenal and Man City have spent a fortune on their midfield too. All those midfields except maybe Man Utd are a fair bit better than ours. 

If we don't sort this area of the pitch out ASAP we will be in trouble going into next season. 

I couldn't disagree more.  The amount of money you spend is practically meaningless as a judgement on how good a player is.  How much did Barcelona sign Messi for?  I would take a midfield of Kamara, McGinn, Ramsey, Tielemans, Barkley and Rogers and £5m over signing Hojbjerg.  The only clubs in the world who seem to use the transfer fee as their guiding light in terms of whether to sign a player are Man Utd and Chelsea.  And look what a **** up they have made over their recruitment in recent seasons.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

After this weekend we will have spent £11m net so far in this window (spread over 5 years), got ourselves out of any potential PSR punishments, and completed the below deals...

Of course it's disappointing to lose Dougie, but we are in a much stronger position overall to bring in a few more top quality players before the window closes.

And yet apparently we are cheating the system and only buying / selling to get ourselves out of a PSR situation.  Slightly misses the point that we've upgraded with at least three of those ins compared to outs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, allani said:

I couldn't disagree more.  The amount of money you spend is practically meaningless as a judgement on how good a player is.  How much did Barcelona sign Messi for?  I would take a midfield of Kamara, McGinn, Ramsey, Tielemans, Barkley and Rogers and £5m over signing Hojbjerg.  The only clubs in the world who seem to use the transfer fee as their guiding light in terms of whether to sign a player are Man Utd and Chelsea.  And look what a **** up they have made over their recruitment in recent seasons.

What a bizarre response. Of course money matters, you do realise we got relegated because we stopped spending money don’t you? Chelsea have a far better midfield than us, Caicedo, Enzo Fernandez and even Gallagher would all walk into our current midfield. Man Utd are the only exception out of the 7 clubs we are competing with and that’s because they signed Casemiro who was too old and Mount who was injury prone. With Kamara injured our midfield options aren’t any better than theirs anyway. 

If you actually don’t think we have a problem in central midfield then there is no point in a discussion because I couldn’t disagree more with you. We are 2 starting players down from the start of last season, probably the strongest part of the team, and haven’t sufficiently replaced either player. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I keep seeing Baena mentioned but I'd be surprised if we sign him. He's at the Euros and then is off to the Olympics, so he'd have no preseason and potentially miss the start of the season. 

If he was a priority signing I don't think that would stop us tbf, definitely not ideal though!

15 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Chelsea have a far better midfield than us, Caicedo, Enzo Fernandez and even Gallagher would all walk into our current midfield. 

Yet we still finished above them with an " inferior " midfield.

The poster also literally gave you examples of a midfield with free transfers and players from the Scottish League and Championship which finished 4th.

Our squad will undoubtedly be stronger going into the next campaign

I'm guessing you'd rather 80 million pounds Maguire over Ezri Konsa because he's more expensive so must be better?

Or you'd take Antony over Bailey because he's expensive too.

I'm not sure where you've created the fantasy that we won't be spending any money either.

It's like you're trying to skew facts to suit your impending doom narrative.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Someone on a Leeds forum said Archie Gray was at villa for talks last week, no idea if they are itk or not though.

Brentford and Spurs also interested apparently...

He's tall. Although from his Transfermarkt picture it looks like a large part of that might be due to his giraffe-like neck.

Archie Gray

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

After this weekend we will have spent £11m net so far in this window (spread over 5 years), got ourselves out of any potential PSR punishments, and completed the below deals...

You forgot Kellyman…

Edited by Tayls

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

No doubt about it we need a big money signing for CM now dougs gone.

Mcginn JJ (injured kamara) barkely and enzo on paper doesnt look that strong to last the whole season. We definitely need to invest in this area. I dont think we need any further wide players just a striker if duran goes

Could sort it by spending about 45m in total on Wieffer and Fofana (Feyenoord/Monaco)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Someone on a Leeds forum said Archie Gray was at villa for talks last week, no idea if they are itk or not though.

I’ve only just realised that he’s the Leeds player that John McGinn chopped down on our Australian tour causing their fans to melt down.

36 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Quality player. Would be great having sold Kellyman, if we just went out and replaced him with a player with even better potential.

• Like 1

Â