Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

7 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

Does anyone think Buendia might potentially go this summer in order for Emery to get Baena? I think Emery really wants Baena and if we don't sell Ramsey the only attaching midfielder I can think of that might be sacrificed is Buendia. 

I love Emi and don't want him sold but if an offer came in of around £15m I reckon Monchi and Emery would be very tempted 

No. I don't think anyone takes a punt on player who hasn't played all season, the risk is too high unless the fee is low.

Also, we need a better squad so shouldn’t be unnecessarily offloading players. Our lack of options was exposed and starters were getting burned out..

Let’s not allow that to happen again, loads of games to play.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

Does anyone think Buendia might potentially go this summer in order for Emery to get Baena? I think Emery really wants Baena and if we don't sell Ramsey the only attaching midfielder I can think of that might be sacrificed is Buendia. 

I love Emi and don't want him sold but if an offer came in of around £15m I reckon Monchi and Emery would be very tempted 

£15m massively underrates his ability and real value. We don't sell players on the cheap now. Buendia has always been exceptional off the bench. He is a workhorse too and will slot in nicely into our pressing game. I see him being deployed mostly as a 10 either playing S/S or moving into 10 from left or right midfield. 

The man to help with the low block. Tielemans and Buendia on the same pitch will be beautiful to see. Both have got goals from range too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

£15m massively underrates his ability and real value. We don't sell players on the cheap now. Buendia has always been exceptional off the bench. He is a workhorse too and will slot in nicely into our pressing game. I see him being deployed mostly as a 10 either playing S/S or moving into 10 from left or right midfield. 

The man to help with the low block. Tielemans and Buendia on the same pitch will be beautiful to see. Both have got goals from range too. 

Agreeing with everything you’re saying today 😄

All on point.

• Thanks 1

Why are we not looking at Koopmeiners as a Dougie replacement? I know he’s alledgedly off to Juve but his AZ stats are exactly the same as Dougie’s, if not better, in the same central (L) position.

Is it a done deal with Juventus?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

Why are we not looking at Koopmeiners as a Dougie replacement? I know he’s alledgedly off to Juve but his AZ stats are exactly the same as Dougie’s, if not better, in the same central (L) position.

Is it a done deal with Juventus?

He’s a very similar player to Dougie, I agree. But, the deal to Juve is 99% complete.

• LM: Ramsey, Rogers, Iling Jnr
  • CM: Koopmeiners, Tielemans,      
            Barkley
  • DM: Fofana, Kamara, Barrenechea
  • RM: Buendia, McGinn, Soule

If Koopmeiners is indeed off to Juventus then swap him for Kokcu. 

Quality and depth across the middle. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

This has probably already been answered but with us now being on the right side of PSR (once Dougie moves to Juve), is it better for us to hold off selling anymore players until the 1st of July so as to benefit next year's PSR limitations?

That’s how I’d read it too. If we are compliant then leave it to post July 1. Then sales will still be on the books for next 3 years, rather than the profit falling off in 2 years time!

• Like 1

I've been looking through the squad and it is clear we have underinvested in the central midfield compared to the rest of the squad. 

In attack we have spent big money on Watkins, Bailey, Buendia and Diaby. In defence big money on Carlos, Mings, Torres and Maatsen. Martinez for a goalkeeper wasn't cheap (although brilliantly spent).

Luiz was our most expensive central midfielder at £15m and he's off. McGinn - £3m, Tielemans - free, Kamara - free, Barkley - £5m. Obviously Kamara, Tielemans and McGinn are worth far more than we paid for them but Kamara is now injured for a while. I'd like to see us spend £30-40m on at least one central midfielder in July because it is necessary.

In contrast our rivals have spent much more than us in this area of the pitch:

• Spurs - Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Bissouma were all £20m+
  • Chelsea - hundreds of millions spent
  • Newcastle - spent about £100m on Guimaeres and Tonali 
  • Man Utd - poor midfield but spent a lot on likes of Mount and Casemiro (badly spent of course)
  • Liverpool - spent summer 2023 fixing their midfield by spending around £100m on MaCallister and Szoboszlai 

And of course Arsenal and Man City have spent a fortune on their midfield too. All those midfields except maybe Man Utd are a fair bit better than ours. 

If we don't sort this area of the pitch out ASAP we will be in trouble going into next season. 

• Like 1

No doubt about it we need a big money signing for CM now dougs gone.

Mcginn JJ (injured kamara) barkely and enzo on paper doesnt look that strong to last the whole season. We definitely need to invest in this area. I dont think we need any further wide players just a striker if duran goes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No doubt about it we need a big money signing for CM now dougs gone.

Mcginn JJ (injured kamara) barkely and enzo on paper doesnt look that strong to last the whole season. We definitely need to invest in this area. I dont think we need any further wide players just a striker if duran goes

Yeah and I don’t class JJ (replace with Tielemans) as a CM. Unai always plays him LM anyway.

We don’t have many options as “pure CMs”, the ones that fill in are actually better or more suited to different roles (LM, RM or SS). Including McGinn and Tielemans (though I expect him to feature in the centre more regularly now).

Need to stop getting players to fill in or cover (esp McGinn) and try to get them playing in their best positions most of the time.

Edited by Jas10

43 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

And Khephren Thuram.

And Locatelli, Fagioli, Miretti (Melo & McKennie). Suspect there will be some outs along with Rabiot & Pogba already leaving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

No.

Give the lad a chance and show him some loyalty and appreciation, just like Mings. We should show that we support our players (who have been important and contributed beforehand) under unfortunate circumstances rather than seeing them as expendable… they’ve worked their asses off to return and recover, they fully deserve a chance to prove themselves and be involved. We’re a classier club than that… I hope.

Similar for JJ too, let’s get him fit and firing and fully involved again. What a boost he will give us.

Selling players at their lowest values isn’t intelligent or wise either. I think it’s bloody stupid to be frank.

No but Buendia and Mings are very likely to be sold next summer unless they have stellar seasons. 

Â