Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

33 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I agree to a point, just don't see him starting week in week out and mostly would be from the bench. The wages for sitting on the bench?? Would upset the squad and balanced against everything he would bring, it just doesn't balance out as a net positive.

Also, Emery is all about the tactics and he will find the right cog for far cheaper.

Started most games for Barca? The vast majority?

Anyway, it doesn’t matter.. not a must unless Unai deems it so. Just an idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

51 appearances (5 goals, 14 assists) for Barca last season, 51 appearances (11 goals, 7 assists) for City the season before. 33 is not that old either…

CL and multiple trophy winning experience and nous… playing in the Euros (1 goals and 2 assists so far). Stays fit and healthy, constantly contributes. Nothing like Coutinho. Would also be worthy of taking the captaincy or leadership from McGinn and showing us the way…

Would be such an asset and bring so much knowledge, nous, professionalism and an even higher setting of standards… an inspiration.

Someone to help take us to the next level or two… would be a big boost to have a player like Gundogan at the club… not many of our players have played or succeeded at that level all that much… 

I think we could do with that kind of player…

I really don't like signing 'older players' and by that I mean 28 and above lol

I do however agree with you, it's a no brainer if the finances worked (It won't)

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I do however agree with you, it's a no brainer if the finances worked (It won't)

I’m usually of the same mind and prefer exciting young talent… but this seems like a worthwhile exception. The step up to competitive CL football can’t really be underestimated and a guy like that would be a big help to us…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sergio Ramos 👀

Someone useful and reliable please… and less of a knob 😆

If, at 33, Gundogan is considered a DOB then what the hell is Ramos at 38?!

Anyway, time to get off this train 😆

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I agree to a point, just don't see him starting week in week out and mostly would be from the bench. The wages for sitting on the bench?? Would upset the squad and balanced against everything he would bring, it just doesn't balance out as a net positive.

Also, Emery is all about the tactics and he will find the right cog for far cheaper.

Sorry, I was actually asking the question about alternatives rather than responding in a weird or awkward way (no attitude or sarcasm).. I was being literal 😆

Edited by Jas10

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I can’t forget just how much we struggled in ECL, we hardly impressed… did shite in the domestic cups too.

Next season is a much bigger ask and challenge… anything we can do to help us and give us the upper hand is worth seriously considering.

Unai saying we don’t want CL to be anecdotal is stuck in my head… we have to get stronger to ensure it isn’t… and players who know what that takes and involves could genuinely, even majorly, help out and demonstrate it in big games for us.

44 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I can’t forget just how much we struggled in ECL, we hardly impressed… did shite in the domestic cups too.

Next season is a much bigger ask and challenge… anything we can do to help us and give us the upper hand is worth seriously considering.

Unai saying we don’t want CL to be anecdotal is stuck in my head… we have to get stronger to ensure it isn’t… and players who know what that takes and involves could genuinely, even majorly, help out and demonstrate it in big games for us.

I don’t this ECL was an issue about experience it was fatigue. Add to that the fact that we were trying to balance. We haven’t qualified to CL so that was a priority. Next season we could gamble on 5th while giving a go in CL. Even if we ended up in Europa wouldn’t be the end of the world, as we’ll have the belief. While if we failed last season it would’ve looked far from us (like when Leicester failed to do in their last week). 
I don’t think Olympiacos had more experience, they had the right approach. Small details probably affected is, Torres not starting, Luiz penalty and more importantly losing Kamara. 
So we haven’t done bad despite not having experience, now all of our players have experience playing twice a week.

If we had the right squad to rotate I don’t think it will be an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Sorry, I was actually asking the question about alternatives rather than responding in a weird or awkward way (no attitude or sarcasm).. I was being literal 😆

I left it alone as I don't think there's anyone comparable.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Started most games for Barca? The vast majority?

Anyway, it doesn’t matter.. not a must unless Unai deems it so. Just an idea.

Yes, but coming back to PL, different physical demands and he's two years older.

11 hours ago, Rich192 said:

You mean Dimarco who has probably been the best left back in Europe over the last two seasons? He’s had a terrible Euros, I’ll agree, but this is an awful shout. I agree with most of what you say, but not this. 

We all see the game differently.  But personally I like my left back to be able to pass the ball better than your average bear and not be statistically one of the worst defenders in Europe.  Those defensive stats are absolutely shocking.  He's in the bottom 20% for every single statistic.  His pass completion percentage is horrible and he couldn't beat his man if they had both arms tied behind their back and their shoelaces tied together.

To be fair he's very good at running down the touchline with the ball unopposed, then giving it away and not even getting close to ever winning it back again.

Even allowing for the fact that Inter do more attacking than defending he's an absolute liability.  Italy will be a significantly better team with Kayode and Udogie in the team.  If you look up the term "gallo sensa testa" in an Italian dictionary you get the definition Federico Dimarco.

https://fbref.com/en/players/970b8574/Federico-Dimarco

image.png.ab3024ac7adea8cba041c677c771b253.png

Just for comparison here are Udogie's stats

image.png.44973783998cec7b59ec462fe1d1ce9a.png

It's not even close.  Not that we are signing either player this summer (thankfully in the first case).  Just looking at Ian Maatsen's stats and he's much, much closer to Udogie (better at blocking, less good in the air).

image.png

Edited by allani

Gundugon is class and still has years in him. There was a time a player like this could come to us near end of career on a reduced wage and still do a great job for us. 

But this day and age they can just go to the Saudi League and continue to earn silly money until they retire. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t this ECL was an issue about experience it was fatigue. Add to that the fact that we were trying to balance. We haven’t qualified to CL so that was a priority. Next season we could gamble on 5th while giving a go in CL. Even if we ended up in Europa wouldn’t be the end of the world, as we’ll have the belief. While if we failed last season it would’ve looked far from us (like when Leicester failed to do in their last week). 
I don’t think Olympiacos had more experience, they had the right approach. Small details probably affected is, Torres not starting, Luiz penalty and more importantly losing Kamara. 
So we haven’t done bad despite not having experience, now all of our players have experience playing twice a week.

If we had the right squad to rotate I don’t think it will be an issue.

Yeah I agree and didn’t specifically state that lack of experience was why we struggled. No doubt we need a better squad.

I just meant he could add something valuable to the group, as explained in previous posts.

Personally I don't see the clubs transfer policy as being one that signs 30+ y/o players, especially on extortionate wages. The priorities seem to be:

1. Young players with experience and high potential 
  2. Players at, or entering, their prime, for a bargain price
  3. Young players to sell on for a higher value

The signings we are making are mostly known quantities, that don't contribute to, and don't destabilise, the economics of the club or the performance of the squad. 

It's a low risk approach overall, where the either the squad benefits immediately, or the club benefits in the long term.

11 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Personally I don't see the clubs transfer policy as being one that signs 30+ y/o players, especially on extortionate wages. The priorities seem to be:

The signings we are making are mostly known quantities, that don't contribute to, and don't destabilise, the economics of the club or the performance of the squad. 

It's a low risk approach overall, where the either the squad benefits immediately, or the club benefits in the long term.

Again, I agree. But one such player could add something to the group in the ways I have outlined.

Oh well, let’s move on 😆

Just go n sign the best available young talents and kick some ass!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tubby said:

* Barkley But yeah I see it the same as you. 

@JAMAICAN-VILLAN posted an article previously that Monchi ethos is to work on a 30% perform immediately 70% development basis when buying players. Dobbin, Illing Jnr and Enzo fit the development with Maatsen falls between the two. 

• Like 2

I think we could see some incomings that aren’t so much “known quantities” too, that end up being excellent, especially once Unai has worked his magic on them…

Would Barrenechea and Iling-Jr come under the category of relative unknowns? Maybe Enzo more than Samuel.

Monchi is probably aware of many..

Does anyone think Buendia might potentially go this summer in order for Emery to get Baena? I think Emery really wants Baena and if we don't sell Ramsey the only attaching midfielder I can think of that might be sacrificed is Buendia. 

I love Emi and don't want him sold but if an offer came in of around £15m I reckon Monchi and Emery would be very tempted 

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

* Barkley But yeah I see it the same as you. 

@JAMAICAN-VILLAN posted an article previously that Monchi ethos is to work on a 30% perform immediately 70% development basis when buying players. Dobbin, Illing Jnr and Enzo fit the development with Maatsen falls between the two. 

Anyone think Ross is a DOB? 😆

It’s a good value deal really, hopefully on a relatively low wage too.

Edited by Jas10

Â