Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chelsea highjacking Brighton move for Drewsbury Hall is cold.

Is he actually that good? Or are Chelsea just rotating their homegrown quota?

Drinkwater vibes.

Manager preference I’m sure. No outrage about Chelsea helping them with PSR though. 

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yep, must be a few options out there. Players like Ugarte and Soler could be brought in on loan to buy deals… and spare some of our funds.

Players on the fringes of CL teams who might want a move away and more minutes.

For Ugarte maybe with loan to buy, but Soler I’d only have him on loan. I wanted Ugarte earlier but after we sign Enzo, I guess it’s Luiz position which we need to replace.

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I genuinely believe we’re not going out to get an identical replacement. I have a hunch Emery wants a different approach to Villa’s midfield. Not sure what gives me that hunch as yet. Maybe how poor it looked without Boubs. 1 player out shouldn’t of made it that rubbish 

Could be Scoliosis mate, may want to get it checked out?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

For Ugarte maybe with loan to buy, but Soler I’d only have him on loan. I wanted Ugarte earlier but after we sign Enzo, I guess it’s Luiz position which we need to replace.

Although, because we now have alot of attacking players, maybe we could play with a more solid midfielder structure and just have the attackers attack?

For example midfield of Kamara Ugarte.

I don’t think we’ll have a big offer for Diaby as some reports, but if we had one, I think we can use it to get Baena or Sule. Right now I think we have many players for attacking positions (if Duran and Archer left we’ll need a replacement). 
I think our perfect summer would be:

Cash, Duran, Dendonker, Chambers, Coutinho, Archer, Bograde, Digne/Moreno.

Kayode, Fofana, Beier and a CB. 
Then depends if we sold Carlos or Diaby for example, we can get replacements for them (but with a longer term vision financially and footballing wise).

Just now, sne said:

Doubt it but let's hope so.

Also don't get the logic that Luiz turned bad once Kamara got injured but that doesn't matter now because we have (imo at least) inferior players to Luiz coming in and still not having Kamara next to them. If Kamara was fit them yeah perhaps Luiz leaving would not matter as much. Being without both makes the job more difficult for Tielemann and everyone else in the team.

We can’t do anything about Boubs fitness, but buying more players on an already stacked midfield to replace him is pretty poor idea

replacing Doug, yes it’s ideal. He was poorer (not bad) without Kamara that’s just fact. 

but we have essentially replaced Doug and Tim for Barkley and Barrenechea 

Enzo is a more senior player than Tim and a better back up to Boubs, no doubt. And in theory hold the fort until Kamara is up to speed

Barkley had a great season, some say better than Doug. Even the stats suggests Barkley had a good season 

IMG-0391.jpg
IMG-0392.jpg

one of them stats is Doug’s and the other is Barkley’s, can you tell which one is which? I can’t even remember which one is which. 

Barkley isn’t a glamour signing, but it negates the need of buying more to cover Doug. 

Yes I love more options there, but it’s not a priority of need as our options are already stacked

5 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It's a weaker midfield than the one we had first half of last season.

Imo, we have to actually improve the midfield (not weaken it or “settle”) if we want do well in both the CL and PL.

We hardly looked good in Europe last season, for as well we did in the league. And didn’t do well in domestic cup competitions either. Need to kick on.

The odd performance or result against a top side (whether or not in top form/condition) is not representative of how we would fare over a whole season… we need players who can do the business most of the time… not just in the odd game.

For the most part, Dougie contributed week in, week out ever since Unai arrived. Might be a factor in why he was so harshly criticised this year and the potential reason why he dropped off being ignored, raised expectations..

Which other midfielder has compared?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I have the ideal player for @TRO

I haven’t seen him play and not sure if Emery would like him, but I think we’ve seen Duran changing games with his physicality, having someone like this player could add another dimension to our game. There were games which we had all of the ball and kept crossing without scoring, so in different circumstances I think he can help especially as with what’s written he isn’t really a clogger.

If Milan want Duran could it be worth trying to get Yunus Musah as part of the deal, could play central midfield as well a wide midfield, and other positions, very versatile player

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We can’t do anything about Boubs fitness, but buying more players on an already stacked midfield to replace him is pretty poor idea

replacing Doug, yes it’s ideal. He was poorer (not bad) without Kamara that’s just fact. 

Enzo is a more senior player than Tim and a better back up to Boubs, no doubt. And in theory hold the fort until Kamara is up to speed

Barkley had a great season, some say better than Doug. Even the stats suggests Barkley had a good season 

IMG-0391.jpg
IMG-0392.jpg

one of them stats is Doug’s and the other is Barkley’s, can you tell which one is which? I can’t even remember which one is which. 

Barkley isn’t a glamour signing, but it negates the need of buying more to cover Doug. 

Yes I love more options there, but it’s not a priority of need as our options are already stacked

Again I disagree. Long way til' the window closes so we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

IMG-0391.jpg
IMG-0392.jpg

His stats are impressive and he did well at Luton… but… does that compare to how he would fit in at Villa and the different demands and environment?

He was probably the main man or go to player there… won’t be the case here. A different set of circumstances too.

Most of all, Dougie and Ross are different players with different styles and attributes. More games, at a higher level and more competitive, we need to win many more games and can’t afford to lose anywhere near as many as Luton did… it’s just a whole different scenario.

Stats require context and a bigger/broader view… we’ve got to consider whether incoming players can be consistent and play regularly (or stay injury free and keep up their form for the most part, like Dougie did), especially when stepping up from (far) inferior teams…

lots to consider.

I cannot see a player like Barkley (nor many of the names being thrown around) stepping up to the level that Dougie largely showed and replacing his qualities and contributions… 

We can’t take shortcuts here, we’ve got to step up and become stronger. Champions League is not going to be easy and way harder than the competition we struggled in and got knocked out of…

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Although, because we now have alot of attacking players, maybe we could play with a more solid midfielder structure and just have the attackers attack?

For example midfield of Kamara Ugarte.

I think Fofana will be the perfect replacement, in lesser games him and Tielemans could do well. Tougher games we add Enzo. If we didn’t have Enzo I’d agree but right now our priority is different.

I don’t think we can discuss Kamara right now, but only we consider him a longer term deals. 

We’ve developed some good players, Luiz, Martinez, Konsa, Watkins, McGinn, Mings and our own Ramsey. Those who came to mind, I think doing it this way would be the best while being shrewd in getting quality additions with potential. Such as Torres, Bailey, Diaby and Kamara. Even Carlos is fine but his injuries might regressed him. Digne gladly succeeded but I wouldn’t deal such a deal. Then you have deals like Moreno and Tielemans which are financially great while adding another dimension to the squad.

I’d continue with the same strategy just with more quality and players on the up, not inflated deals. Then once they develop we can give them better terms.

• Like 1

When Unai says his objective is to maintain CL football and for it, this season, not to be anecdotal or a one-off… we must be planning to build a stronger team as well as squad to be that competitive and formidable…

More changes on the way… and taking shape under Unai’s vision. No longer just what he has inherited…

Edited by Jas10

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If Milan want Duran could it be worth trying to get Yunus Musah as part of the deal, could play central midfield as well a wide midfield, and other positions, very versatile player

I don’t think we should look at a player that could play wide, I think our next CM signing should be a good midfielder with defensive attributes such as Luiz. Good on ball having attack qualities while could do well as a DM or number 8. I’m not sure about Musah I remember him more defensive. But, We have a lot of players that play wide, even Tielemans and McGinn does. 

9 minutes ago, useless said:

That’s a great shout. He’s very athletic and got great pace too. 

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think we should look at a player that could play wide, I think our next CM signing should be a good midfielder with defensive attributes such as Luiz. Good on ball having attack qualities while could do well as a DM or number 8. I’m not sure about Musah I remember him more defensive. But, We have a lot of players that play wide, even Tielemans and McGinn does. 

Couldn’t agree more… ideally we bring in a creative technician and a powerhouse to help us dominate centrally.

We don’t need wide midfielders… but maybe we reinforce the middle of the team and allow or bring in high quality and more creative forwards or wingers to thrive and make us more dangerous.

Edited by Jas10

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

When Unai says his objective is to maintain CL football and for it, this season, not to be anecdotal or a one-off… we must be planning to build a stronger team as well as squad to be that competitive and formidable…

More changes on the way… and taking shape under Unai’s vision. No longer just what he has inherited…

Exactly, as we’ve seen last season, we were regressing without Kamara, we can’t just continue with what we have and expect gradual improvement. We’ll have to act. 
Most of our players aren’t Emery players, only Torres, Moreno, Tielemans and Diaby are. 
So far we could see the immediate affect of Torres, then the dimension that was added by Moreno. Tielemans addition for the squad. People can argue about Diaby but his numbers were good, and got better towards the end of the season.

• Like 1

Musah is a box-to-box midfielder, he just happened to be a winger in his academy days, so he can play as a wide midfieler, or even as a winger, but he's more of CM and could play in our central midfieder and is pretty good on the ball, albeit i don't think he could help us control games to the same extent that Luiz did. I thought of him as he's a similar profile to some of our other signings recently - young and versatile, see also Dobbin, Iling, Kosta, and Rogers, and could probaby do a similar job to whatever it was we were intending for McKennie

Â