Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Gio that plays for Napoli? If so would be a smart short- medium term move.

These are his defensive stats from fbref.  Awful.  https://fbref.com/en/players/230a2fac/Giovanni-Di-Lorenzo

Strangely his passing stats are OK - I can only assume that the researchers were so surprised by how bad some of his passes were that they've marked them down as attempted clearances or blocks instead.

Tackles 1.78

Interceptions 0.68

Blocks 1.23

Clearances 1.37

Aerials Won 0.89

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I am intrigued to see if we go out and buy another CM to "replace" Dougie and if so, what type? A like for like or someone more defensive?

Id be certain that we are as not replacing him with a top player would be suicide for us 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I could see this also.  I think Emery will mix things up with us in the CL now, so we won't necessarily need a like-for-like replacement for Luiz.

We’ve lost Sanson (theoretically), Tim, and Luiz out of the middle already, with Kamara not back for many months yet. Barrenechea is one in so I think we’ll sign at least two more central midfielders able to do it all. 

3 minutes ago, allani said:

These are his defensive stats from fbref.  Awful.  https://fbref.com/en/players/230a2fac/Giovanni-Di-Lorenzo

Strangely his passing stats are OK - I can only assume that the researchers were so surprised by how bad some of his passes were that they've marked them down as attempted clearances or blocks instead.

Tackles 1.78

Interceptions 0.68

Blocks 1.23

Clearances 1.37

Aerials Won 0.89

The ONLY reason for signing Di Lorenzo is that at least he's not as bad as Dimarco who is quite possibly (in my opinion) the worst player ever to play for Italy.

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

We’ve lost Sanson (theoretically), Tim, and Luiz out of the middle already, with Kamara not back for many months yet. Barrenechea is one in so I think we’ll sign at least two more central midfielders able to do it all. 

We've already signed 2 CMs (Barkley and Enzo), you want another 2? Very unlikely imo, we can't and won't stack players.

3 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

We've already signed 2 CMs (Barkley and Enzo), you want another 2? Very unlikely imo, we can't and won't stack players.

Wasn’t counting Barkley as we haven’t signed him yet, but I do expect us to get him + 1. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

The ONLY reason for signing Di Lorenzo is that at least he's not as bad as Dimarco who is quite possibly (in my opinion) the worst player ever to play for Italy.

Conte said the other day that when he agreed to take the Napoli job that the owner said there is no way they’d sell either Kvaratskhelia or Di Lorenzo this summer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s either going to be Gallagher or someone we will not expect. So far, judging by the window, we are looking at more height, strength and dynamism in positions. 

My vote goes to someone else. Gallagher isn’t good enough for the level we want to get to, and his fee vastly outweighs his ability.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Bouba is out until Jan at best. There’s a huge drop off in quality if more injuries occur. Enzo is his understudy. 

We still need bodies - first team central midfielders would be Enzo, McGinn, Ross and Youri. We will be playing over 50 games again in all cups. We need bodies for rotation. An injury to any of those leaves in a major pickle. 

• Like 1

Enzo is a huge upgrade on what we had at the end of last season in the 6 position. The Barkley that finished the season was also playing far better than the Luiz we had at the end of the season. 

That’s without considering that McGinn and Tielemans can now play in their best positions nor considering that we blatantly are not finished with  at least one big midfield signing expected. We will be much stronger in midfield come the start of the season versus the midfield that ended last season. 

We have no reason to buy any more than 1 CM, as we’re pretty stacked already 

DM Karmara/ Barrenechea/ Dendonker/ Chambers

dCM Tielemans/ Barkley 

aCM Mcginn/ Buendia/ Ramsey/ Rogers

assuming we’re selling Dendonker and Chambers, and Buendia, Ramsey and Rogers are also options elsewhere on the pitch, we still got 2 or more players for our main 3 midfield roles already. Yet, people are doubtful on Tielemans & Barkley, and suspect that we need a “better” player there.
As nice as that will be, I wouldn’t be surprised we not signing another CM this window. If that’s the case, I’m not bothered as I’m relaxed about the idea that Emery can get the best out of Barkley 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

We shouldn’t go into this season with McGinn being considered as a central midfielder. We should also plan for Kamara not being with us for at least 60% of the campaign. 

With that being the case, it leaves Tielemans, Barkley and Barrenchea as central midfielders. Personally, I’d like us to add at least one more quality option here. 

It’s worth remembering that Barkley was statistically better than Luiz at almost everything last season in a poorer side and Tielemans was better than Luiz for large parts of the campaign so I don’t think we’re that much weaker than last season if you were to pick a best XI as is.

One quality option in there - whether it be Onana, Gallagher, Fofana etc. would give us real options though and nobody would be able to rest on their laurels as you’d simply lose your place if you did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Bouba is out until Jan at best. There’s a huge drop off in quality if more injuries occur. Enzo is his understudy. 

We still need bodies - first team central midfielders would be Enzo, McGinn, Ross and Youri. We will be playing over 50 games again in all cups. We need bodies for rotation. An injury to any of those leaves in a major pickle. 

If you add 2 more we end up with 6 CMS (7 when Kamara comes back in). Just can't see that happening. We will sign one more perhaps.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Think that's a mid table midfield until Kamara comes back. A mid table midfield that's expected to compete both in the PL and the CL. Think we badly need a top quality CM to come in and fill the void left by Luiz and Kamara. See it as quite optimistic to expect Barkley and Barrenechea to handle that straight away.

Kamara is injured and buying cover is a bit pointless, as it will cause issues later on. a loan is fine if Barrenechea is not ready

Tielemans and Barkley, I’ll predict that they will be better than people think. 

but yes, I’d like a top top CM, yet I think we’ll be fine without one

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Kamara is injured and buying cover is a bit pointless, as it will cause issues later on. a loan is fine if Barrenechea is not ready

Tielemans and Barkley, I’ll predict that they will be better than people think. 

but yes, I’d like a top top CM, yet I think we’ll be fine without one

I think this season will be extremely difficult even if we get a top CM in. Without one I think we'll really struggle until Kamara is back and the January window opens.

Â