Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

2 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

Stupid offer from Tottenham, but wouldnt surprise me to see us wanting to sign LO Celso....... clearly it wont involve Ramsey tho !!

I thought we might be in for him last summer but we signed Tielemans instead who's exactly the same type of midfielder. He steps up for Doug now and if he isn't available than Barkley will step in so Lo Celso feels stockpiling for the sake of it currently.

54 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The " Brighton" " Southampton" etc model is not sustainable in PL longer term imo.

Hence why Southampton ended up where they did and why Brighton have fallen off.

Finding a balance as a club with larger ambitions is crucial.

Agreed could say the same about Leicester to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The " Brighton" " Southampton" etc model is not sustainable in PL longer term imo.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Brighton and Brentford are the only clubs that are sustainable.

I’m still struggling to think of a player (and one we could sign or attract) who could bring what we’ve lost or will miss with the loss of Dougie… open to suggestions… haven’t seen a good/suitable one so far. Not a comparable kind of player anyway.

The guy had a lot of “strings to his bow”… he wasn’t perfect and had his deficiencies or weaknesses, but had many, and more important/relevant, strengths. Creativity, technique, composure, passing prowess, press resistance, set piece ability… a really classy player who was integral to us.

A shame he didn’t get to play in his preferred role or position more (often even having to play as DM or cover there, even though that’s not what he is or how he can show his best qualities). We would’ve seen even more from him otherwise…

I’m going to miss the Luiz-Kamara partnership 😔 

Can’t say I’m confident at this present time, but let’s see if we can match, if not better that. I don’t think we have anything as good at our disposal rn (starting 11 is weaker atm, at least until Bouba returns. Confident that the squad will end up much better and stronger though with actual and quality options), even once Barkley has signed (who I don’t see as a starter or very important/reliable player).

I know the standard response now is that Unai will change things up… but I can’t deny that I’d personally like to see another top class, silky player in our midfield that helps us tick while posing a danger to the opposition. I just love technical players who make the game more appealing to watch… Dougie did that for us, especially when he had a proper DM (mainly Bouba) in the side to help/allow him to thrive and focus on what he was best at… but that wasn’t always the case. Although he really stepped up and performed admirably at DM to help us avoid relegation after lockdown…

Wonder what the actual plan is… over to Unai and Monchi.

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Brighton and Brentford are the only clubs that are sustainable.

He means in terms of success… not just existing. Can’t see them winning things or being in contention for CL… you can’t do that unless you manage to hold on to some of your better players (and keep strengthening rather than just replacing) or have a truly exceptional manager (and not keep losing him/them to other clubs).

NSWE and Unai want much more than that…

Edited by Jas10

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We’re definitely not a selling club either… it’s only cos of bloody PSR and the rules that protect the established or “elite” clubs… that’s the only reason we are having to sell anyone. Hopefully that’s been fully dealt with (for) now and we’ll be in a better place, especially after everything that is being done and arranged away from the pitch…. more income and exposure. As long as we have Unai, we will keep pushing and competing too…

Nassef’s critiques only further back that up. If it weren’t for the restrictions, we’d only be looking at getting stronger and not losing any of our assets. I’m sure Dougie would not have been sold and there would be no mention of someone like JJ otherwise…

The ambition of NSWE and Unai is not really lacking in any regard, but they are sensible and realistic about our capabilities and see the bigger picture, long term not short term thinking. Everyone is working their asses off to get the club to where they want it to be, it’s just gonna take time and effort… we will negotiate all of the obstacles… we actually have competent and intelligent people at the club for once!

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’m still struggling to think of a player (and one we could sign or attract) who could bring what we’ve lost or will miss with the loss of Dougie… open to suggestions… haven’t seen a good/suitable one so far. Not a comparable kind of player anyway.

The guy had a lot of “strings to his bow”… he wasn’t perfect and had his deficiencies or weaknesses, but had many, and more important/relevant, strengths. Creativity, technique, composure, passing prowess, press resistance, set piece ability… a really classy player who was integral to us.

A shame he didn’t get to play in his preferred role or position more (often even having to play as DM or cover there, even though that’s not what he is or how he can show his best qualities). We would’ve seen even more from him otherwise…

Can’t say I’m confident at this present time, but let’s see if we can match, if not better that. I don’t think we have anything as good at our disposal rn (starting 11 is weaker atm, at least until Bouba returns. Confident that the squad will end up much better and stronger though with actual and quality options), even once Barkley has signed (who I don’t see as a starter or very important/reliable player).

I know the standard response now is that Unai will change things up… but I can’t deny that I’d personally like to see another top class, silky player in our midfield that helps us tick while posing a danger to the opposition. I just love technical players who make the game more appealing to watch… Dougie did that for us, especially when he had a proper DM (mainly Bouba) in the side to help/allow him to thrive and focus on what he was best at… but that wasn’t always the case. Although he really stepped up and performed admirably at DM to help us avoid relegation after lockdown…

I think it’s fairly clear that we are targetting at least one more midfielder that would effectively be the Luiz replacement. I understand your concerns but quite frankly I think we will end the window with a significant upgrade on Luiz as an individual and a huge upgrade on the squad options. Barranechea and Barkley will be huge upgrades on Donks/Tim and chambers so the depth of midfield is already on a materially higher level. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I think it’s fairly clear that we are targetting at least one more midfielder that would effectively be the Luiz replacement. I understand your concerns but quite frankly I think we will end the window with a significant upgrade on Luiz as an individual and a huge upgrade on the squad options. Barranechea and Barkley will be huge upgrades on Donks/Tim and chambers so the depth of midfield is already on a materially higher level. 

I agree… it’s just how I feel and see things for the moment. I can’t think of or identify such a player… or an obvious target that can do everything he can. The suggestions or links so far represent a completely different type of player or those that have different and less technical attributes in terms of central midfielders, I’ll ignore the attackers that are mentioned because they wouldn’t do the same sort of job or play in that position anyway.

Maybe it’s also going to take a while for me to get over one of my favourite and most highly rated players leaving… 

Hopefully, there are a few (major) surprises to come or gems that Unai will polish and turn into genuine stars…

I’m not worried, just being honest about how I’m feeling or see things right now but that should change fairly soon and when more signings happen.

A lot of talk about pre July being our “mini window” or prep before we bring in some real “big guns” next month and until the close of window… maybe that will be the case.

Regardless, it’s exciting and I hope Unai ends up with a squad he can truly call his own and be really happy with.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I think Ross Barkley might surprise you and start more often than you think if he continues in the same form as last season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Would anyone take Callum Wilson on a 2 year deal? He turned 32 in Feb, is ok with not playing regular football and being backup probably help with his injury record.

He’s a good goal scorer but a little injury prone it seems.

he’s also got a bit of Troy Deeney about him……he can’t keep his mouth shut.

overall I’m not sure he’s our type 

• Like 2

Inter Milan not yet out of the race for Mario Hermoso (sempreinter.com)

And a number of clubs in Europe have shown an interest in signing Hermoso.

Among these have been Premier League side Aston Villa, and Inter’s Serie A rivals Napoli.

The French outlet report that the Nerazzurri have not yet dropped their interest in signing Atletico defender Hermoso. However, they are aware that there’s significant competition for the 29-year-old’s signature.

Hermoso does have experience in a back three at Atletico. That would make him a stylistically apt target for Inter.

I do hope we sign him, the cost seems very low reported wages on offer from Italy is around €90k per week. We offer say £90k = £4.5m per season (Chambers departing (saves us £50k a week / £2.5m per season, Hause leaving makes it about cost neutral) which is reasonable wages and no transfer fee. He would provide cover for Pau who isn't a Watkins type always fit player and Hermoso can cover LB/LCB also. 

We could potentially move Dinge and Moreno on if we had Maatsen, Iling Junior and Hermoso at a pinch for LB. We can also play with a  back 3. 

I think really we'll let just one of Moreno/Digne leave as I think Emery wants to keep the cre of the team in place for consistency before adding in the new players gradually as they adapt. 

Edited by CVByrne

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I think Ross Barkley might surprise you and start more often than you think if he continues in the same form as last season.

If he takes last seasons form, adds in Emery's coaching he could be excellent next season. Emery is the master with these older players and making them reach the peak for of their careers.

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I agree… it’s just how I feel and see things for the moment. I can’t think of or identify such a player… or an obvious target that can do everything he can. The suggestions or links so far represent a completely different type of player or those that have different and less technical attributes in terms of central midfielders, I’ll ignore the attackers that are mentioned because they wouldn’t do the same sort of job or play in that position anyway.

Maybe it’s also going to take a while for me to get over one of my favourite and most highly rated players leaving… 

Hopefully, there are a few (major) surprises to come or gems that Unai will polish and turn into genuine stars…

I’m not worried, just being honest about how I’m feeling or see things right now but that should change fairly soon and when more signings happen.

A lot of talk about pre July being our “mini window” or prep before we bring in some real “big guns” next month and until the close of window… maybe that will be the case.

Regardless, it’s exciting and I hope Unai ends up with a squad he can truly call his own and be really happy with.

Well I think it’s fair to say that there are plenty of things you simply can’t replace when you lose a player like Luiz. Not even mentioning his intangibles. But I don’t think Emery is sitting there expecting to bring someone in who will be an exact replica of him. This will be a more technically nuanced version of “let’s bring in several players to replace Grealish.” We’re strengthening and replacing at once. Theoretically, we should be in a much better place when all is said and done. It’s also just a difficult pill to swallow when you lose a vital player. Nothings going to look right in the immediate aftermath.

In terms of players, I wouldn’t mind seeing them go after someone like Ivan Ilic, more defensive but he’s got a swagger that I feel Luiz has and not a lot of other players mentioned to replace him have that. Also 3 years younger than Luiz, plenty of talent there to be developed.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

Â