Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why Maatsen is so good is he inverted a lot I to midfield for Dortmund as he's so good on the ball. He also plays as the wide forward overlapping on left. This type of versatility and his age (plenty of coaching room for him) means he'll be an outstanding signing.

We could go Maatsen + 3 CBs in back line with Maatsen then inverting into midfield allowing say Tielemans to get forward from a CM space 

I also think the under lapping fullbacks is something we'll look at using. I think we were interested in McKennie for possibly this also.

What I mean is LM and RM hold the width as wide players. The two half spaces are then occupied by the fullbacks. Cash has done his best work for us when he arrives there and not going widest. Kamara would then drop from CM into back 3 lime he did last season and we have the 2 CMs.

I think the idea of the flexibility on the players for Emery is key as he wants to be able to change roles of players mid game without making subs. 

I see Maatsen as the replacement, and more reliable or long term option, for Moreno.

I don’t think we require a system change and loved watching us dominate and destroy the likes of Newcastle last season. Brighton on multiple occasions, West Ham and especially Man City this season (how wonderful). It was effective… we suffered because of injuries, suspension and fatigue… not due to the system we played.

Yeah, flexibility is welcome and what Unai probably wants along with versatility, there is plenty to tinker with in the system he favours anyway.

I was responding to the view on playing 5 defenders, whether that be 5-3-2, 3-5-2, 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1 etc. rather than anything you’ve expressed. I just don’t like playing with 5 defenders and weakening midfield, just my view.

For me, those systems scream “we’re weaker than the opposition, so need to find a way to deal with them” rather than “let’s challenge and dominate them” which is why I love Unai’s Aston Villa… we’re not afraid of anybody and are capable of putting anyone in their place. We can dominate teams on our day, whoever they may be, by playing wonderful football without fear.

Why mess too much or stray from a system that largely worked and helped us make massive strides anyway? More stability and less disruptions seems wise…

We just need players to stay fit and more options imo. 

And to replace the quality and reliability we’ve lost after losing a player like Dougie.

Edited by Jas10

Just now, Mazrim said:

And Monster Munch.

Funnily enough, we bought a 12 pack of monster Munch the other day and one of the bags had just six monster munchies in it

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Funnily enough, we bought a 12 pack of monster Munch the other day and one of the bags had just six monster munchies in it

It's a f**king disgrace.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Non existent midfield, would get overrun and destroyed.

But in reality we dont play like any rigid formation? When defending we tend to line up in banks of 4 and 5's filling out the midfield, as a defensive block and switch on transition. Usuallu one fullback stays when the other is higher up the field and vice versa. We wouldnt get over run in midfield because of the tactical shape and discipline Emery has instilled. Midfield isnt filled with "battlers", the LB and RB take up positions to fill out the midfield, Kamara steps back into the defensive line etc, Emery's set is fluid through transitions.

Unless the season is a disaster we're looking at 50-55+ games. Even if we play the minimum amount it's 48. Not counting pre-season and internationals. Every rotation payer is going to be at least competent if we are to manage this season. "Sitting on the bench" is still gonna get you a lot of time on the pitch, and that's before you factor in injuries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

But in reality we dont play like any rigid formation? When defending we tend to line up in banks of 4 and 5's filling out the midfield, as a defensive block and switch on transition. Usuallu one fullback stays when the other is higher up the field and vice versa. We wouldnt get over run in midfield because of the tactical shape and discipline Emery has instilled. Midfield isnt filled with "battlers", the LB and RB take up positions to fill out the midfield, Kamara steps back into the defensive line etc, Emery's set is fluid through transitions.

Fair enough mate, to each their own.

It’s just my personal view, I’ve said enough on it really.

I’ll back whatever Unai ends up doing anyway. Don’t expect him to play with 5 defenders personally though… loved the set up and performance against Man City, for example, and looking forward to more displays like that.

I’m more worried about the availability of players and options we have rather than  anything to do with the system we play.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Unless the season is a disaster we're looking at 50-55+ games. Even if we play the minimum amount it's 48. Not counting pre-season and internationals. Every rotation payer is going to be at least competent if we are to manage this season. "Sitting on the bench" is still gonna get you a lot of time on the pitch, and that's before you factor in injuries.

Also we may be seeing a change coming on the "Kane plays 90mins every game for England" fixation so Ollie may get more minutes for England so will need to be rested more

*assuming Southgate goes after this tournament otherwise he'll probably put Kalvin Phillips up front

Here’s the very tenuous Tammy link: 

The English center forward has a lot of market in the Premier League, as several British newspapers are confirming in these hours, starting with The Telegraph: West Ham, Tottenham, Everton and Aston Villa have started seriously thinking about the Giallorossi forward as a reinforcement for the offensive department. But if Hammers and Spurs are still in the reasoning stage, Everton and Aston Villa are ready to make concrete moves to bring Abraham back home. And The Villans will soon have the cash to do so, as the sale of Durán to Chelsea is about to materialize for £42 million. 

Translated with DeepL.com (free vs version)

https://www.ilromanista.eu/news/calciomercato/151943/aston-villa-in-pressing-abraham-e-in-uscita

1 hour ago, nnock1984 said:

I fully expect Duran to be gone and Abraham to come back. I for one think that would be fantastic. 

Chelsea in pole position for David, would appear Duran deal is dead in the water and why they bought Kellyman instead.

• Like 1

Be really disappointed if we sign Abrahams and don’t believe it’s anything more than clickbait agent talk … We would be screwing ourselves if we did sign him as his wages for a back up would be silly no doubt and also just don’t rate him … he’s been a one good season in 3 at best his whole career 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Thank god for a new link, I was starting to get the shakes!

all jokes aside, if this link and the values are legit, you’d imagine this one gets over the line 

• Like 1

Cracking the hood to FM24’s star rating of players and getting the real numbers for the players. Here’s our outs and ins current and potential abilities according to FM24. All out of 200. KDB is the best player in the game CA 190 PA 190

OUTS:

Tim Iroegbunam:  CA 117 - PA 141 (Idrissa Gueye’s CA is a 141)

Omari Kellyman: CA 99 - PA 147 (Ebare Eze’s CA is 148)

Douglas Luiz: CA 149 - PA 158 (Koke’s CA is 157)

INS:

Lewis Dobbin: CA 112 - PA 131 (Jordan Ayew’s CA is 133)

Samuel Irling JR: CA 127 - PA 152 (Jeremy Doku’s CA is 153)

Enzo Barrenechea: CA 128 - PA 147 (Boubacar Kamara’s CA is 147)

Ross Barkley: CA 141 - PA 159 (older players never reach their PA)

Ian Maatsen: CA 134 - PA 148 (Destiny Udogie’s CA is 146)

These numbers were set at the beginning of last season, so I suspect a lot of CAs have changed.. and I suspect a few of these PAs will be adjusted for next seasons game.   

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I do wonder if there are legs to this. I do have concerns about if he is still same player after that ACL injury

He was awful before he got injured

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was awful before he got injured

Maybe unsettled in italy and mourinho was manager so not surprising.  If and its a big if tammy is wanted by unai clearly he thinks he can get best out of him

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Maybe unsettled in italy and mourinho was manager so not surprising.  If and its a big if tammy is wanted by unai clearly he thinks he can get best out of him

Mourinho bought him and played him and got a good first season. 2nd season he disappeared while Mourinho still played him

Nothing to do with Mourinho and fact Tammy declined

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â