Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can’t see us signing a (purely) attacking RB either with Maatsen (first choice) and probably Iling-Jr in that attacking LB role.

Don’t imagine us setting up with Maatsen on one side and another flying fullback on the other side…

I can see both Digne and Moreno being moved on and Unai continuing with the RCB hybrid (Konsa or a new defender) in the main.

I wouldn't be surprised actually if Emery plans to switch to a back three next season with the thinking that it will be more suited for UCL football. 

Just now, thunderball said:

I undertsand, but thats why I suggested we may be playing with a different shape which no longer necessitates the role that Dougie played. Clealry my thoughts, but I think we play with 3 centre backs, two wing backs and one DM. Possibly three forwards and a #10. I think Rogers/Goncalves/Baena/Buendia may play in that #10 position. BUt what is evident is we have a much broader squad rather than clearly pigeon-holed players. McGinn may find it difficult next season as it progresses. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Isa said:

I wouldn't be surprised actually if Emery plans to switch to a back three next season with the thinking that it will be more suited for UCL football. 

spacer.png

I wonder why Hermoso hasn't signed for a club yet. Possibly like Barkley he'll join us in July. I think Mings isn't back until September and the 3 at the back is definitely something I see us doing a bit more often so I'd expect us to have 5 CBs next season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The fans love tammy so i think it would be a good fit- just hope thw ACL injury hasnt taken alot off his game

Not expecting him to be prime Batistuta or anything but he'll serve a purpose so I think he's a great option... relatively cheap, knows the league/club, won't be too annoyed at being a rotational player if played enough, might be classed homegrown for CL and offers a diferrent dimension if plan A isn't working. Bring him back! 🤞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

Martinez

Konsa        Pau      Hermoso    

Frimpong                                                               Maatsen

Kamara

Bailey/Diaby                          Baena/Tielemans/Rogers             Ramsey/Iling Jr

Watkins

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Hate playing with 5 defenders & less midfielders. Scarred by Deano doing it and bringing about his downfall too. Doesn’t seem quite as common now as it was, not so long ago.

Be surprised if Unai will stray so much from what has been effective for him.

When was the last time he played with 5 defenders or wingbacks at a club?

I like to see more midfielders with creative and technical ability, horrible to see an over reliance on wingbacks.

Just my personal view, I don’t like it and see it as negative. Almost like an admission that you’re weaker than the opposition and need to counteract them rather than face and attack them.

Edited by Jas10

4 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Count me in for a potential formation change next season too.

3-4-2-1

It would allow for more tactical flexibility.  That Konsa has rotated between FB and CB last season means he should be able to transition to RCB in a 3 quite easily. Torres would have more cover to control play in possession and push forward with the ball. 

If that is Emery's intention, expect two more CB signings at least though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Martinez

Kamara

Bailey/Diaby                          Baena/Tielemans/Rogers             Ramsey/Iling Jr

Watkins

With all the width coming from the bombarding wing backs, would you still use wingers/wide forwards?  The middle of the park needs to be way stronger there in any case.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Martinez

Kamara

Watkins

Non existent midfield, would get overrun and destroyed.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

With all the width coming from the bombarding wing backs, would you still use wingers/wide forwards?  The middle of the park needs to be way stronger there in any case.

Exactly. Even if you have a DM, you can’t just play with attacking players in midfield. 

If you look at what our bench or even our back-up/ league cup team would be with some of these moves, it completely **** on what we could muster this year. I'm excited...

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can’t see us signing a (purely) attacking RB either with Maatsen (first choice) and probably Iling-Jr in that attacking LB role.

Don’t imagine us setting up with Maatsen on one side and another flying fullback on the other side…

I can see both Digne and Moreno being moved on and Unai continuing with the RCB hybrid (Konsa or a new defender) in the main.

We don’t have an unlimited budget so can’t spend on every position… sorting midfield out and not being weaker than last season there (and suffering so much with injuries, suspension, fatigue) is a big priority for me…

Why Maatsen is so good is he inverted a lot I to midfield for Dortmund as he's so good on the ball. He also plays as the wide forward overlapping on left. This type of versatility and his age (plenty of coaching room for him) means he'll be an outstanding signing.

We could go Maatsen + 3 CBs in back line with Maatsen then inverting into midfield allowing say Tielemans to get forward from a CM space 

I also think the under lapping fullbacks is something we'll look at using. I think we were interested in McKennie for possibly this also.

What I mean is LM and RM hold the width as wide players. The two half spaces are then occupied by the fullbacks. Cash has done his best work for us when he arrives there and not going widest. Kamara would then drop from CM into back 3 lime he did last season and we have the 2 CMs.

I think the idea of the flexibility on the players for Emery is key as he wants to be able to change roles of players mid game without making subs. 

42 minutes ago, thunderball said:

We all love nostalgia, but I have doubts that he is even an Emery player? He definitely offers an different approach to Watkins which is great if Plan A isnt working, he is also tall which as a team needs addressing (and seemingly is being addressed)

Nostalgia is not what it used to be.😀

in the good old days you could get ………

1 minute ago, Lochheads twin said:

Nostalgia is not what it used to be.😀

in the good old days you could get ………

Wagon wheels were definitely bigger

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I can't imagine Tammy being OK with sitting on the bench for 80% of the season. Ollie isn't getting dropped and doesn't get injured. 

Ita going to be less than 80% thats for sure if last season was anything to go by

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â