Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

18 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Pray for Kamara! An injury so bad he ceased to exist!

Agree that Tielemans and Barkley might be our options to replace Dougie. Gives me worries, both have form and fitness issues but to be honest anyone we bring in for that role is going to be a risk. Unai the master of course mitigates that risk a bit. 

in terms of planning for the season, unfortunately he has.

He will just be like a top signing in Jan, but for Aug to Jan, he's basically not here.

• Like 2

For those who were interested in Geertruida, Romano reporting PSG are discussing personal terms and trying to beat interested Prem teams to the signing. 

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Definitely think we need another 2 CMs

If we go by our roles

DM - Kamara (Inj) , Barrenechea, Barkley

CM - Tielemans, Mcginn, Barkley, Ramsey 

RM - Bailey, Mcginn, Diaby, Ramsey, Buendia, 

LM - Ramsey, Mcginn, Rogers, Diaby, Iling Jr

CAM - Tielemans, Diaby, Rogers, Ramsey, Buendia 

You could argue that our preferred attacking lineup from last season Bailey, Tielemans, Mcginn which we used vs arsenal and city is currently impossible without playing Barkley in the middle of the pitch. That seems like a serious issue to me. 

It's 10 players for 5 positions at the start of the year and we are going to play over 50 games again. Once we have 2 or 3 injuries all a sudden what looks like a fairly deep roster of talent is very thin. 

Also think among this collection of players it's fairly obvious that Tielemans and barkley are the only ones comfortable with receiving 50 passes a game and progressing the ball with passes and contributing to goals too. Definitely a glaring weakspot in our rotation especially if we want to play one of the 2 at CAM at any point. 

Definitely need at least one more CM if not 2 players. Ideally one of whom is a capable CDM too. 

I think that is answered by the links to Goncalves and Baena? The rumour is we will pursue both.

What I am certain of is we will play different to how we did last season. I think Emery will double down on our defensive shape and emphasise attacking with wing backs depending on the opponents. I think Hermoso will arrive, and I also think if they can land Frimpong they will, if not Dumfries, with Cash and Digne/Moreno departing (possibly both if we land Hermoso). That would transform our style and evolve the team. I can see this also reducing the role that Luiz played hence why we might have been happy to let him leave.

Incidentally, I think Frimpong would be transformational for us.

Whilst I think we will have a Premier League formation identity which will be more offensive, I think Emery will also be buying for Champions League too, which will likely necessitate a more defensively solid formation.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I do wonder if there are legs to this. I do have concerns about if he is still same player after that ACL injury

We all love nostalgia, but I have doubts that he is even an Emery player? He definitely offers an different approach to Watkins which is great if Plan A isnt working, he is also tall which as a team needs addressing (and seemingly is being addressed)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Juve doing another swap deal for Kephren Thuram…

could we swoop in for Koopmeiners? How many midfielders do they need?

Juve need a total rebuild in midfield to be fair, so could easily see them signing both, as well as Dougie.

11 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think that is answered by the links to Goncalves and Baena? The rumour is we will pursue both.

Keep seeing this but… neither of these players are central midfielders. They are not CMs and don’t have the physicality or robustness to compete in a midfield battle. They are attacking, creative players that would either play in support of the CF or (most likely) out wide.

Neither of them could replace Dougie, they are not midfield orchestrators. Too lightweight aswell.

Would be great additions otherwise, but not at CM.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

We all love nostalgia, but I have doubts that he is even an Emery player? He definitely offers an different approach to Watkins which is great if Plan A isnt working, he is also tall which as a team needs addressing (and seemingly is being addressed)

The one thing with tammy i think he would be ok rotated with ollie and as you say he does offer something different. 

One thing i liked about tammy was he always gave his all

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I think Emery would like to go back to the two strikers option with two players like Tammy and Watkins who can press. So both up top or one up top. 

• Like 3

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The one thing with tammy i think he would be ok rotated with ollie and as you say he does offer something different. 

One thing i liked about tammy was he always gave his all

Exemplary attitude. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do wonder if there are legs to this. I do have concerns about if he is still same player after that ACL injury

I never think he was a CL level player, but he is good, knows his trade, and sticking him on against Palace in February before a trip to Milan is not a bad idea. 

Bring him home! 

I wonder why Hermoso hasn't signed for a club yet. Possibly like Barkley he'll join us in July. I think Mings isn't back until September and the 3 at the back is definitely something I see us doing a bit more often so I'd expect us to have 5 CBs next season. 

• Like 1

Can’t see us signing a (purely) attacking RB either with Maatsen (first choice) and probably Iling-Jr in that attacking LB role.

Don’t imagine us setting up with Maatsen on one side and another flying fullback on the other side…

I can see both Digne and Moreno being moved on and Unai continuing with the RCB hybrid (Konsa or a new defender) in the main.

We don’t have an unlimited budget so can’t spend on every position… sorting midfield out and not being weaker than last season there (and suffering so much with injuries, suspension, fatigue) is a big priority for me…

Tammy would be an awesome signing to back up Watkins...  He's scored goals everywhere in his career and apparently works his tail off in training.  We would struggle to find a rotational striker as prolific as he has been for the cost.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Tammy would be an awesome signing to back up Watkins...  He's scored goals everywhere in his career and apparently works his tail off in training.  We would struggle to find a rotational striker as prolific as he has been for the cost.

The fans love tammy so i think it would be a good fit- just hope thw ACL injury hasnt taken alot off his game

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Keep seeing this but… neither of these players are central midfielders. They are not CMs and don’t have the physicality or robustness to compete in a midfield battle. They are attacking, creative players that would either play in support of the CF our out wide.

Neither of them could replace Dougie, they are not midfield orchestrators. Too lightweight aswell.

Would be great additions otherwise, but not at CM.

I undertsand, but thats why I suggested we may be playing with a different shape which no longer necessitates the role that Dougie played. Clealry my thoughts, but I think we play with 3 centre backs, two wing backs and one DM. Possibly three forwards and a #10. I think Rogers/Goncalves/Baena/Buendia may play in that #10 position. BUt what is evident is we have a much broader squad rather than clearly pigeon-holed players. McGinn may find it difficult next season as it progresses. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â