Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

15 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Total garbage the academy isn’t there to fund the club that’s a ridiculous statement! That’s something a league one club would say.

… Some of the shit people come out with on here is outrageous at times.

At a real push, Villa’s catchment area in the Midlands is about 5 million people. About a tenth of the GB population. About 0.1% of the world population.

In contrast, our starting 11 comes from all over the world: Argentina, Spain, France, Brazil, Jamaica, etc.

So if we only look at our catchment area, we are seriously limiting ourselves. On average, we’ll be doing very well if 10% of our squad are from greater Birmingham/home-grown, and that’s before we start arguing about Wolves, West Brom, Blues.

It is therefore inevitable we sell the vast majority of our academy. And when that’s the case, it is desirable we do so at a profit.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Total garbage the academy isn’t there to fund the club that’s a ridiculous statement! That’s something a league one club would say.

If it wasn’t for PSR we’d be holding on to our best young prospects.

You think Newcastle are struggling because of there academy? That’s hilarious. They are in a similar PSR position to us because like us they have spent beyond there means. Some of the shit people come out with on here is outrageous at times.

Where have you been?  You think Chelsea's loan army, when they had 25+ youth players on loan every season, was to find that diamond in the rough for their first team. No it was to fund the first team through loan fees and eventual sells. Chelsea has KDB and Salah on their books and sold them both off this strategy. City sell £50 million in youth sells almost every summer window.  

The academy absolutely funds the first team. Either selling talent on or on the rare occasion finding a player good enough to hold down a first eleven position. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Not sure about that I'll give you first half of the season,  but when he went was out Youri and John looked alot better. When Youri went out that's when we fell apart. Luiz coming back was a liability at times.

McGinn and Tielemans as the pivot was basically two games. Luiz then returned for the Chelsea game.

I rate Youri but how long do you think he's staying fit if we're playing high intensity CL matches on a Wednesday and then have a Saturday game. He'll need to be rested far more than Doug to keep him fit imo.

Guess that's where Barkley comes into the thinking.

The basic stats aswell show we conceded double the goals in Kamara's absence than when he played. The trend was for half the season and still happened when Pau got over his injuries so not a good idea for the club to just ignore it.

Feels like we will have two transfer windows.

1 before July and 1 after July.

Currently we are in the one where we need to do business to avoid PSR punishment. We are trying to make the best out of the situation by getting players in as well whilst looking profitable on the balance sheet.

Once July starts I think there will a couple more signings as the final pieces. 1 being a bigger signing like baena. July potentially will be more exciting.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Where have you been?  You think Chelsea's loan army, when they had 25+ youth players on loan every season, was to find that diamond in the rough for their first team. No it was to fund the first team through loan fees and eventual sells. Chelsea has KDB and Salah on their books and sold them both off this strategy. City sell £50 million in youth sells almost every summer window.  

The academy absolutely funds the first team. Either selling talent on or on the rare occasion finding a player good enough to hold down a first eleven position. 

Can you remember when man city bought nahuel ferraresi, maximo perrone, Diego Rosa and slobodan tedic?

Nope, you probably won't hear of them when they sell them for a profit either 

They do it with about 4 or 5 youngsters every season and no hears about it or bats an eyelid 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

We’ve given Emery the keys to the club don’t forget, this is the price we pay. He’s building a team for the here and now, not waiting about for 3 or 4 years until these players come good. 

Maatsen, Illing and Enzo are here and now and still there in 3 to 4 years time type signings. 

2 hours ago, Isa said:

Given that Barkley was spoken about as almost imminent a couple of weeks ago and has not been mentioned at all since, is it possible this one has fallen through?

Of course, we could also simply be waiting for the books to be put in order but it's weird just how cold the link has gone.

Think everything is agreed and he just went on holiday. Would expect announcement in first week of July.

Also don't forget we're actually paying a fee for him so want to avoid having to put that in this year's accounts. Would be different if he was on a free given Chelsea and Newcastle have announced their free transfer signings in the last 10 days.

Probably the biggest transfer story of the summer is....you're back!🤔

I remember enjoying reading your posts in the grim period of Lambert/Sherwood/Bruce so bit shocked to see your reawakening from August 2016! Where have you been?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, allani said:

Maatsen, Illing and Enzo are here and now and still there in 3 to 4 years time type signings. 

Maatsen is easily good enough to make an impact now. Other two I think are more long term projects just as Luiz was when he signed in summer 2019 but if one of them (probably Enzo) can hit the ground running after two months like Rogers that would be excellent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Can you remember when man city bought nahuel ferraresi, maximo perrone, Diego Rosa and slobodan tedic?

Nope, you probably won't hear of them when they sell them for a profit either 

They do it with about 4 or 5 youngsters every season and no hears about it or bats an eyelid 

Man. City sold a crazy amount to Southampton last three years, comfortably made over 100m in sales and Harwood-Bellis just gone there for 18m.

1 minute ago, allani said:

Cycle football, building a squad of players  to peak at the same time as each other, with each other, with the next cycle coming behind them   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, at this point I'm still not quite sure if it's genius or a shit show, but it's fascinating to watch, I thought we'd do some business this summer, but I didn't think we'd be quite this busy.

At the end of the season emery said that we were going to build a new team. At the time I thought something has got lost in translation and definitely didn't expect us to be trying to do it in one summer!

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Man. City sold a crazy amount to Southampton last three years, comfortably made over 100m in sales and Harwood-Bellis just gone there for 18m.

City have sold over £440 mill worth of players who’ve been involved in their acandemy system in 8 years that’s £55mill a season on average … Southampton bankrolled the signing of Haaland … they’ve shown with Bobb & Lewis if they’re good enough they’ll be integrated into the first team squad … those not are sold for pure profit - this is the model we are following 

Edited by thabucks
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Probably the biggest transfer story of the summer is....you're back!🤔

I remember enjoying reading your posts in the grim period of Lambert/Sherwood/Bruce so bit shocked to see your reawakening from August 2016! Where have you been?

Hehe, thanks 😁

I was just languishing in the VT bomb-squad. Thought I'd have a Alan Hutton style come back. It's nice to see a lot of the same posters around though. Hope you are well. 

In seriousness, I am working from home now so have a lot more time to pass through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Isa said:

Hehe, thanks 😁

I was just languishing in the VT bomb-squad. Thought I'd have a Alan Hutton style come back. It's nice to see a lot of the same posters around though. Hope you are well. 

In seriousness, I am working from home now so have a lot more time to pass through. 

That Alpay shushing the fans profile pic stuck in my mind aswell so was a bit shocked to see it again scrolling through the threads this morning.

Welcome back.

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

At the end of the season emery said that we were going to build a new team. At the time I thought something has got lost in translation and definitely didn't expect us to be trying to do it in one summer!

I missed that - it's certainly going to be interesting though - it's a massive risk and it could go either way, but based on their record so far here, we have to trust they're going to get this right.

One thing you have to say about this new Chelsea setup is they will find every loop hole and exploit it until it snaps. That almost seems to be the main strategy at this point, on top of buying literally every wonder kid on the planet.

This player swap thing is going to give the PL a real headache though cos it’s very difficult for them to introduce a new rule to stop it. Almost wonder if they’ll just give a really long sigh and let them get on with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, villaglint said:

One thing you have to say about this new Chelsea setup is they will find every loop hole and exploit it until it snaps.

To a large extent, they have to. They're not a natural part of the top six and they don't have the same level of backing as the other artificial club. They're us with a better starting position and they'll be terrified of losing ground.

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

One thing you have to say about this new Chelsea setup is they will find every loop hole and exploit it until it snaps. That almost seems to be the main strategy at this point, on top of buying literally every wonder kid on the planet.

This player swap thing is going to give the PL a real headache though cos it’s very difficult for them to introduce a new rule to stop it. Almost wonder if they’ll just give a really long sigh and let them get on with it. 

If it benefits the majority of clubs (which it appears to do) then the PL has no chance of getting any new law to stop it through, as they need at least 14 clubs to vote for the motion.