Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Sounds like an experienced loan time.

I would like to think so. The problem is where do we get the quality we need with a loan deal. Quality DM's are highly sought after. If we aren't getting sufficient quality, and by Jan both the Enzo lad and Kamara are ready to make an impact what's the point.

I think if the swap goes through along with the Barkley deal. We will most likely see a Barkley, Tielemens, and McGinn rotation in the double pivot, with Enzo being eased in, in the league cup and as sub.

Really happy about the Maatsen deal. Great going forward, has Moreno's qualities going forward only a better cross, is a better passer, and a better one on one defender. Just this signing alone improves us.

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I would like to think so. The problem is where do we get the quality we need with a loan deal. Quality DM's are highly sought after. If we aren't getting sufficient quality, and by Jan both the Enzo lad and Kamara are ready to make an impact what's the point.

I think if the swap goes through along with the Barkley deal. We will most likely see a Barkley, Tielemens, and McGinn rotation in the double pivot, with Enzo being eased in, in the league cup and as sub.

Really happy about the Maatsen deal. Great going forward, has Moreno's qualities going forward only a better cross, is a better passer, and a better one on one defender. Just this signing alone improves us.

I think we'll sign a real high level midfielder in July once PSR is all sorted. Enzo & Barkley aren't the replacements for Luiz, they are high level squad players who will soon push for starting positions. We will go out and get a midfielder to build the team around for a lot of money next month.

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Isn't that what was always going to happen with the youth academy, exceptional ones will break into the first team the rest will be sold for profit?

Yep. We got unlucky with JJ as without injury in convinced he'd have been in our starting 11 most of this season.

Iroegbunam looked like he might be the next but hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

There'll be another one maybe even two this season. But when you have a u23 team of 11 players, that's a good 9 or 10 that you'll be selling off for every one or two that make it.

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I think we'll sign a real high level midfielder in July once PSR is all sorted. Enzo & Barkley aren't the replacements for Luiz, they are high level squad players who will soon push for starting positions. We will go out and get a midfielder to build the team around for a lot of money next month.

While I hope you are right, the proof is in the pudding. I think with these two coming into midfield (Barkley and Barrenechea), and Maatsen at left back, our next priority will be to move on Duran and get in his replacement.

Then centre back and possibly right back will be higher priorities than midfield. However I do think we want a top quality midfielder, but just don't see the player coming in being a DM. 

A big problem we’ve had for years is selling players for profit. By maximising on youth prospects, we can do just that for pure profit. It allows us to develop talent that if they don’t make it here we can potentially see a return elsewhere. That’s the reality of the rules we have to work with. It will help us in the long run. We’ve got some serious potential in the academy and I do think a few names will make it here. But also, we need to be less sentimental at times. Focus on how we can bring the best names possible to work under Unai too. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm not sure tbh. I think Luiz's position will be split between Barkley and Tielemans for next season. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Yep. We got unlucky with JJ as without injury in convinced he'd have been in our starting 11 most of this season.

Iroegbunam looked like he might be the next but hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

There'll be another one maybe even two this season. But when you have a u23 team of 11 players, that's a good 9 or 10 that you'll be selling off for every one or two that make it.

Exactly, you'll be lucky if you got 2 or 3 academy players good enough for the first team squad.  Look at Arsenal, Liverpool or City, only a few are good enough the rest are sold.

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I liked the Ugarte link. Given he wasn't a regular at PSG and Enrique is remaining manager that looked a possible 1 year loan to me.

Appears though now the DM solution will be Barrenchea and we'll ease him in.

• Like 1

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

If we get soule in, it’s likely we’d have to sell Diaby or Bailey 

I think Unai wants players who play multiple positions. He’s used both the above in different roles. I would add that Soule plays a lot as a second striker which might be the position we could give him here. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I think Unai wants players who play multiple positions. He’s used both the above in different roles. I would add that Soule plays a lot as a second striker which might be the position we could give him here. 

Soule could play RM, or SS behind Watkins, very versatile player, would be great rotation option with Leon.  Would have a big impact on Diaby's mins, unless he could switch to left.  

Just now, duke313 said:

Soule could play RM, or SS behind Watkins, very versatile player, would be great rotation option with Leon.  Would have a big impact on Diaby's mins, unless he could switch to left.  

I would ideally prefer Soule as a 10/SS and keep rotating between Leon/Moussa on the right. They’d have a lot of versatility between them and we could integrate Emi2 in the mix too. 

• Like 1

Think the idea with Soule is he'd be more of a Buendia replacement (stay calm @Delphinho123...) if he dosen't get back into things after his ACL.

Even then Buendia will only have 12 months left on his deal next summer so I think we'll sell him then regardless.

So register our interest now and if Soule can't quite break into the Juve team he becomes a credible option next summer instead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think the idea with Soule is he'd be more of a Buendia replacement (stay calm @Delphinho123...) if he dosen't get back into things after his ACL.

Even then Buendia will only have 12 months left on his deal next summer so I think we'll sell him then regardless.

So register our interest now and if Soule can't quite break into the Juve team he becomes a credible option next summer instead.

I agree with that. I didn’t realise his contract was up so soon. But we also have Rogers for the SS role too - I think him rotating with Soule would be fantastic. It wouldn’t rush Emi back either. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Soule excited by the idea of joining us - but Juve want straight cash

Should play hard ball like Luiz rather straight cash or his involved.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I agree with that. I didn’t realise his contract was up so soon. But we also have Rogers for the SS role too - I think him rotating with Soule would be fantastic. It wouldn’t rush Emi back either. 

I presume it is. Emi has been here three years now so think he signed a five year deal?

See how he goes next season but hard to see him getting a new one if he just reverts to squad player.

Will still be plenty of prem clubs wanting him for 15m if he hits a few goals and assists.

Â