Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Out of interest as someone who doesn't do Villa podcasts or read more than this forum about Villa.

What does Bardell know? Is he an insider or just speaks after the fact? Has he mentioned an interest in Illing Jr, previously for example? 

Not trying to shoot him down but there's nothing from anybody saying the above.

He himself says he isn't "in the know or anything," but that he occasionally hears snippets of information. 

6 hours ago, trillvillan said:

I agree most jump on the “flavor of the month” train. 

It hasn’t only been this game for me personally. He was a wonderkid on FM21 lol. But we should’ve signed him last summer when we were heavily linked and had “put an offer in”. Even before this tournament he was showing how good he was for a couple years now in La Liga. 

I would’ve paid over the top a bit, but I can only respect him staying with his hometown club Bilbao. I just really thought especially getting Don Unai - we would’ve secured him and I’m jealous to who ever does 

IMG_0043.png

It's  maybe a bit much to say we should have signed him - my recollection of the talk at the time is that we wanted to, we could have afforded him, but he was dead set on staying.  There's  not really any more we could have done. 

Kind of been said on 1874 podcast what we worked out ourselves. The player swap idea is ours. We have gone out to clubs we think have PSR issues and who need to do deals and enquired about players they've got we're interested in and they've done vice versa. 

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Kind of been said on 1874 podcast what we worked out ourselves. The player swap idea is ours. We have gone out to clubs we think have PSR issues and who need to do deals and enquired about players they've got we're interested in and they've done vice versa. 

genuine question, im assuming they dont know any more than we do, and have just read that in the same was most of us have?, so its not like they are saying it with any more authority than most people on this forum?

Or, do they probably know more than we do?

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do bilbao have CL this season coming?

No. But read about him. He's earning loads. The basque identity with him and brother is strong. It's one rare occasion where champions league may not matter to a player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

No. But read about him. He's earning loads. The basque identity with him and brother is strong. It's one rare occasion where champions league may not matter to a player.

Sounds like he is pretty settled in spain. Maybe even CL isnt enough to tempt him to come.

Will probably end up at barcelona or Madrid eventually if he isnt interested in moving abroad

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trillvillan said:

Unfortunately I think that shipped sailed last summer. Last summer would’ve been the only time to have reasonably signed him - Bilbao now will want a crazy fee! I think it’s too unrealistic now. 

They can't command a crazy fee as i understand it.  He his release clause is about about €55m.

The bigger issue is his salary, and the fact he may still not want to leave Bilbao. If he does choose to leave, he might well pick a team that he sees as an option to be his second home.  Being Basque he may not want to play for the big Spanish teams, the other continental teams might not be able to afford him. There's a scenario where he could end up at one of the other champions league teams in England. I think it's more likely than any of those that he stays where he is, but it's not beyond our wildest dreams to sign him.

If he continues to have an amazing Euros though, it might attract a club that previously weren't sure of his ability to deliver on a big stage at this age.

I'm personally very pleased with how this window might be shaping up, strong rumours being true, it looks like a big squad turnover but a lot of the players coming in are replacing squad players, whom had varying amounts of influence on the first team (Cash and Duran down to Coutinho and Tim). Therefore these players can have time to adapt, learn etc. 

The big caveat for this is bringing in a "starter" to replace Luiz and the back up striker at some point in the window, the rest of the positions seem fairly well covered by last years "first" eleven.

• Illing > Zaniolo
  • Dobbin > coutinho
  • Barrenechea > Iroegbunam
  • Kosta > Cash
  • Hermoso (I still think we will sign him) > Lenglet
  • Barkley > Dendonker

The arrows are swaps not better than FYI (although in my opinion they are all mostly upgrades or have significant up side)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

genuine question, im assuming they dont know any more than we do, and have just read that in the same was most of us have?, so its not like they are saying it with any more authority than most people on this forum?

Well I think the wider Athletic will know more than we do. They have Everton reporters and Chelsea reporters etc.. 

55 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Depends whether the poster on here is ITK:D. The "Claret & Blue" podcast does have some access to the club through press conferences, as they are associated with "Birmingham Live", "1874" also has it's media contacts, I myself I like to listen to these and to share opinions with other fans, such as we do on here. Podcasts such as "For the love of Paul McGrath" & "UTV" offer their opinions on our club and can be amusing (particularly "FTLOPM"). It is questionable, how much more if anything more than us "Claret & Blue" may know or be able to tell, but I know VT is always first or very quick to the news, because so many of us scour newspapers, radio/TV shows, podcasts, twitter, Instagram and everything else to find anything Villa related.  

Edited by John

7 hours ago, trillvillan said:

Unfortunately I think that shipped sailed last summer. Last summer would’ve been the only time to have reasonably signed him - Bilbao now will want a crazy fee! I think it’s too unrealistic now. 

Has a 50 million release apparently. Think his wage demands will be even higher now though

He’s on about 170k now so you’d think he’d want an uplift on that, say 225k, that’s nearly 100k a week more than anyone else in our squad. 

For that reason alone I’m not sure he’d move even if we met the RC. 

I’m surprised Chelsea aren’t after him. 

According to Romano, Williams release clause is 58 million Euros, but because he's worth more than that, the club buying him would have to make up the difference and add it to his wages

He hasn't only just become well known, even last summer would have been incredibly difficult signing, you could probably even argue we would have a better chance now because of Champions League football

And as alluded to it can also be incredibly difficult to sign players from Bilbao as to Basque players playing for them is almost like playing for their country, this is why Iñaki Williams never left them, if you look at their transfer history, over the last ten years they've only sold four players for a fee

In addition to all that we already have Ramsey, Diaby, Bailey, Rogers, Buendia, and Iling J and Dobbing to come in, it's unlikey we would even be interested in Williams unless one of Diaby, Bailey, Buendia, or Ramsey was to leave, people keep linking us to attackers, see also Soule and Chiesa, but we don't really have room as things stand

2 minutes ago, useless said:

According to Romano, Williams release clause is 58 million Euros, but because he's worth more than that, the club buying him would have to make up the difference and add it to his wages

He hasn't only just become well known, even last summer would have been incredibly difficult signing, you could probably even argue we would have a better chance now because of Champions League football

And as alluded to it can also be incredibly difficult to sign players from Bilbao as to Basque players playing for them is almost like playing for their country, this is why Iñaki Williams never left them, if you look at their transfer history, over the last ten years they've only sold four players for a fee

In addition to all that we already have Ramsey, Diaby, Bailey, Rogers, Buendia, and Iling J and Dobbing to come in, it's unlikey we would even be interested in Williams unless one of Diaby, Bailey, Buendia, or Ramsey was to leave, people keep linking us to attackers, see also Soule and Chiesa, but we don't really have room as things stand

Rogers is more of a 10/second striker and I think he could also convert to a centre forward. Whilst he can play out wide I’m not sure it’s his best position. We don’t know the timetable for JJ’s return either. I don’t think it’s as simple as player X fits role Y - Moussa has played three different positions under Unai and not his traditional role. If we don’t sign Zaniolo, we need another left wing option. 

• Like 1

Just watched the Enzo Baranechea scouting report on the For The Love Of Paul Mcgrath podcast.

If feel encouraged by this signing as a result. He's a proper DM that's 6'1 and cover a lot of ground at speed. He has a high passing pass completion, and potentially can spray passes around too. Sounds like perfect back up to Kamara if Kamara was fit and ready to go.

The fact Kamara won't be ready to go till January though is a problem, as Enzo is just turn 23 only 36 top flight games in Italy, and would be coming to a new country, and a higher standard of football. He will obviously need time to adapt, learn the language, and develop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Just watched the Enzo Baranechea scouting report on the For The Love Of Paul Mcgrath podcast.

If feel encouraged by this signing as a result. He's a proper DM that's 6'1 and cover a lot of ground at speed. He has a high passing pass completion, and potentially can spray passes around too. Sounds like perfect back up to Kamara if Kamara was fit and ready to go.

The fact Kamara won't be ready to go till January though is a problem, as Enzo is just turn 23 only 36 top flight games in Italy, and would be coming to a new country, and a higher standard of football. He will obviously need time to adapt, learn the language, and develop.

Sounds like an experienced loan time.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Given Napoli’s interest, I don’t think he’d have too many issues adapting but we should also give him time and get used to Unai’s coaching. It gives us a different option to Tim/Calum which sounds like a good upgrade. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Ah the ‘Iroegbunam template’ being applied with West Ham I see. Wonder which of our academy prospects will be sacrificed this time?

Isn't that what was always going to happen with the youth academy, exceptional ones will break into the first team the rest will be sold for profit?

Â