Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Thomas Partey apparently available at Arsenal. 32 now but plenty of experience and Prem ready for a couple of seasons.

Made of glass, no thanks.

59 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Barrenechea has just had his equivalent season to Doug’s first with us. He’s not a project he’s had a full season in a top flight league. 

He’s ready. He’s the next Rogers. 

Our Argentinian expert didn't seem convinced, but we will see. Both he and Barkley have been relegated by their clubs, let's see if they can step up for a better team. We know Maatsen can because he starred for a very good Dortmund team on loan. 

My personal opinion is we had 2 of the best CMs in the league at the start of last season in Luiz and Kamara, if we start with either one of the above alongside McGinn or Tielemans we are weaker. We definitely still need at least one more central midfielder IMO and I'm convinced we will sign a proven player in that position next month. 

PSR seems to have really messed with the type of player Monchi and the team are being forced to look at, without PSR I don't think Maatsen, McKennie, Iling-Jnr etc. would get a look in and we wouldn't be selling DL! It's like we have been forced from the outer whole food fruit and veg aisles to the centre processed food aisles because we are a bit poor and need to make ends meet!

What pisses me off is it seems we are easing the likes of Chelsea's (and maybe Everton's) own PSR issues.

Hopefully Monchi and Unai pick the best of a bad bunch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

What pisses me off is it seems we are easing the likes of Chelsea's (and maybe Everton's) own PSR issues.

Necessary evil as they're helping with ours.

It is funny that this is such a flagrant and easy way to navigate PSR though.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Necessary evil as they're hlping with ours.

I know swapping fringe players to balance the books.  it's odd.  the players must surely be pissed off with it.  well swap you for an Everton hopeful then they'll swap you for a forest hopeful the year after.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Necessary evil as they're hlping with ours.

Yes, clever people will always find a way to game the system. This just underlines how crass is PSR.

12 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

PSR seems to have really messed with the type of player Monchi and the team are being forced to look at, without PSR I don't think Maatsen, McKennie, Iling-Jnr etc. would get a look in and we wouldn't be selling DL! It's like we have been forced from the outer whole food fruit and veg aisles to the centre processed food aisles because we are a bit poor and need to make ends meet!

Counterpoint: Dougie wants to leave for Juve, hence why Alisha is joining him. So, we are making the best of that situation and trying to improve our squad in different ways. I don’t think PSR is the sole factor in this deal. 

• Like 2

Looking at McKennie’s season heat map from last season and that of Soule too. It would appear we’re looking for a RM role.

Wonder if we’ll move the goal posts and opt for lower fee, remove Iling Jnr and insist on Enzo and Soule for Luiz. 

I’d be happier if it was say 15m, Soule and Enzo (no offence to Illing Jnr obviously). Those two just seem a better fit for our squad at the moment. 

Just now, burchy said:

Looking at McKennie’s season heat map from last season and that of Soule too. It would appear we’re looking for a RM role.

Wonder if we’ll move the goal posts and opt for lower fee, remove Iling Jnr and insist on Enzo and Soule for Luiz. 

I’d be happier if it was say 15m, Soule and Enzo (no offence to Illing Jnr obviously). Those two just seem a better fit for our squad at the moment. 

I actually think Iling Junior is a decent pick up tbh. I'd have no complaints if it was around £40m and him alone. 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Maatsen is exactly the type of player we should have been looking at, to the point i wasnt sure if he was a realistic target.

Maatsen suits Emery's system perfectly on that left side.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Counterpoint: Dougie wants to leave for Juve, hence why Alisha is joining him. So, we are making the best of that situation and trying to improve our squad in different ways. I don’t think PSR is the sole factor in this deal. 

Counterpoint: Does he want to leave or just looking to make the best of a bad situation forced upon him and make it more favourable to him and his personal life, we will never truly know the answer to that I guess.

Just now, zab6359 said:

Counterpoint: Does he want to leave or just looking to make the best of a bad situation forced upon him and make it more favourable to him and his personal life, we will never truly know the answer to that I guess.

That’s fair. Often the truth lies in the middle. We probably won’t get a clear answer. If they want to settle down closer to Switzerland I totally get that - it’s only a 4-5 hour drive or train to places like Zurich. Either way, Unai and Monchi and the team know exactly what is needed to progress us still.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

If Luiz wanted to stay then he’d have signed the contract that’s been sitting there for months. I think that’s your answer. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Maatsen is a real quality young signing.  He would be a quality signing with PSR or not.  I think getting CL is the only reason we’ve been able to attract him.  I think the others I agree with but I think you are seriously underrating Maatsen.

• Like 1

Team and subs for start of next season:

Martinez

New          Konsa     Torres         Maatsen

McGinn      New

Bailey              Tielemans             Rogers

Watkins 

Subs: Gauci/Olsen, Nedeljkovic, Mings, Iling Jr, Barkley, Barrenechea, Buendia, Diaby, Ramsey

So two new starting players still needed. Hopefully those players will be Fofana from Monaco and Geertruida from Feyenoord. I still feel that midfield will be industrious rather than classy as we had with Kamara and Luiz and that a player like Mikel Merino in addition to Fofana would be ideal, but I'm keeping expectations modest. 

Assuming that Moreno and Digne both go, although I suspect one will stay. I also think we will get a replacement for Duran in attack, unless we believe Rogers can play that role. 

Edited by Leeroy

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Maatsen is exactly the type of player we should have been looking at, to the point i wasnt sure if he was a realistic target.

Maatsen suits Emery's system perfectly on that left side.

This. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, burchy said:

Soule is not part of the deal they have said it

Just now, Awol said:

If Luiz wanted to stay then he’d have signed the contract that’s been sitting there for months. I think that’s your answer. 

We are selling him out of necessity to meet PSR requirements, I doubt a contract has been sat if front of him for months. 

10 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

I know swapping fringe players to balance the books.  it's odd.  the players must surely be pissed off with it.  well swap you for an Everton hopeful then they'll swap you for a forest hopeful the year after.

Probably all getting pay rises from the deals

Â