Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its a shame we have to sell as i love dougie but wish him all the best. He has given us good service and his attitude has been spot on.

He rarely got injured as well

If we go through the summer only selling one of the key first team players from last season, getting Ty and Buendia back fit and adding a few new first team players like Maatsen and Gallagher it'll be a good window. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Actually now I feel much better about our activity. Potentially a good defensive midfielder, LW with potential. Solving PSR. All of that without getting a replacement for Luiz (which would give us time to get a proper one). 
Getting McKennie was an issue itself, big wages, not really a DM (so we’ll still need a backup for Kamara). I don’t think I would have been happy with McKennie starting. Could be an ok backup rm, cm and rb. But for those wage’s definitely bad deal. 
I think we’ll be more balanced with this deal and Maatsen then we’ve ended the season. We didn’t have a DM, we were wasting Luiz abilities anyway. 

Hopefully we get Fofana as a replacement for Luiz. 

We will have to see who else we buy but I don't see it as we need a backup for Kamara so buy someone way off his ability. Kamara has had constant injury issues since he joined us, he played 24 league games in his first season and 20 league games last season, he is our only quality DM but cannot be relied upon to stay fit (yes last season was a horrible injury but he's had lots of other injuries since being here). By the time he gets himself fit and available again he will only have just over 2 years left on his contract, we need to find a quality DM and if Enzo is just a backup and no better than Dendoncker then we are going to be starting next season significantly weaker in midfield than at the start of last season with no proper replacement for Kamara and possibly no proper replacement for Luiz. 

Fofana is more a Kamara replacement in my eyes, not Luiz, he's naturally a defensive midfielder but like Declan Rice has adapted his game to be better going forward and now chips in with goals and assists. But he won't dictate the tempo like Luiz does. Having said that, I'd be happy to bring him in and have Tielemans as Luiz's temporary replacement with McGinn in midfield and Barkley and Enzo as backups, but if we get any injuries in midfield I have to say I'm not confident that Barkley or Enzo will step in and have the same quality as their replacements. I'd like us to sign Fofana + one other midfielder, so we have 2 players for each position, maybe we can get a loan or cheap deal for someone like Soler. We will then still need to buy a centre back (or right back depending on where Konsa is playing) and another attacking player to replace Duran in the squad.

Edited by Leeroy

Interesting how everyone is writing off this Enzo kid already. From the bits I’ve read, he’s supposed to be highly talented DM prospect. 

Should replace the Dendonker, Tim I and Chambers minutes well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

yet this Anything has been shifted on loan to a relegated team while McKennie was a regular finishing 3rd

Are you questioning the player identification of 2-time European cup winner Monchi? :(

Terrible.

The Guardian's Ben Fisher expects us to buy a right back, two central midfielders, and a forward after signing Maatsen: https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/19/aston-villa-close-on-signing-ian-maatsen-after-agreeing-terms-on-six-year-deal

I am guessing that this will be in addition to any swa deal we get with Juventus, so it will be Enzo Barrenechea (if we agree on him) + 2 extra midfielders, hopefully direct replacements for Kamara and Luiz to go straight into the team. I see Barrenechea as a project player who will play intermittently at first, but maybe he develops in our team quickly. 

If we are after a right back and not a centre back it also suggests Emery will play Konsa back in his natural position and that Mings is expected to be ready for the start of the season. It would still leave us with two aging centre backs in reserve who have both had recent long term injuries so I am hoping we are after a centre back too. 

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Barrenechea has just had his equivalent season to Doug’s first with us. He’s not a project he’s had a full season in a top flight league. 

He’s ready. He’s the next Rogers. 

Love this positivity. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Barrenechea has just had his equivalent season to Doug’s first with us. He’s not a project he’s had a full season in a top flight league. 

He’s ready. He’s the next Rogers. 

Ted? 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

If we go through the summer only selling one of the key first team players from last season, getting Ty and Buendia back fit and adding a few new first team players like Maatsen and Gallagher it'll be a good window. 

For sure- i do have concerns on buendia and esp mings on what kind of players they will be after the long term injuries. I have a feeling they wont play as big a part as they did before the injuries. I think JJs the one i am excited at seeing back as he missed virtually the whole season 

Maatsen is a exciting signing that one im happy with. I do have concerns the gallagher wont happen just think he wants to stay at chelsea and isnt overly keen to move. With maatsen going they may not be under as much pressure to sell

35 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Interesting how everyone is writing off this Enzo kid already. From the bits I’ve read, he’s supposed to be highly talented DM prospect. 

Should replace the Dendonker, Tim I and Chambers minutes well. 

Let’s face it, none of us have a clue.

The professionals at Villa; they’re the ones who know. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's still widely regarded as one of the best in the industry for a reason.

I too, have read opinions on his Roma stint, however there must be a reason why he is so highly regarded.

I also noticed sometimes we tend to choose the " worst " of a situation ( Player, Manager, Staff etc ) and just ignore all the other actual good bits of their careers.

It's also Unai who is the final decision maker on these things, so he can't just donasnhe please imo.

Exactly this, would be like judging Emery only on his Spartak Moscow and Arsenal stints and ignoring his time at Villarreal and Sevilla.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

This implies  that other clubs have an intimate knowledge of our situation, but there's  no reason they should no much more than any of us on here. 

They may know we need to sell, which will depress the value of our players, but not how badly. Surely when they raise that during negotiations,  our default response would be, "piss off, we don't need the money that badly, we're selling Duran, or Cash, or Iroegbunam". May change as we get closer as you say

I doubt they would raise it as such, they wouldn't need to, if the clock is ticking on getting some money in they will just leave a low offer to stand and wait for us to reluctantly accept it. I'm hoping that somehow, we can find a way to not get taken to the cleaners by clubs looking for a bargain. 

4 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

What if it’s McKennie plus this Enzo fella for Doug? 

It wont bw its illing jr and one of those two and it seems it is enzo

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How much would they value him at?

I assumed it would be much cheaper than McKennie?

I've missed a load on here today.

One Hundred Billion Dollars (austin powers) on Make a GIF

Thomas Partey apparently available at Arsenal. 32 now but plenty of experience and Prem ready for a couple of seasons.

I hate this transfer window. I dont blame Monchi/Unai as they are in clean up mode but everything we do is accounting related is so mind numbing. It feels getting to the Champions League wasnt really the promised land that people threw tantrums about

Special shoutout to Purslow for leaving this mess

• Like 1

Just now, striker said:

Thomas Partey apparently available at Arsenal. 32 now but plenty of experience and Prem ready for a couple of seasons.

Him and Greenwood be your dream window?

Just now, Zatman said:

Him and Greenwood be your dream window?

Add in Philips then yes. 😂

Â