Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Posted (edited)

I want to share something very personal. I'd been having a pretty stable summer. I mean, I've had whole days of resisting "the urge," if you know what I mean? I have been gaining a gentle foothold in sanity. And then, as I am wont to do, I did the thing I promised myself never again and read back through the last week of Summer Transfer Window on VT.  Why o why do I do this to myself? I was doing so well ... and now. I'm just not built for this place. I need to return to What Song Are You Listening To Right Now and do my breathing exercises.

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'll give Monchi credit. He's being innovative to get us over the line.

Last year the complicated buy backs took 2 weeks to get ratified because of their complex nature. 

This year we're single handedly bringing back Part-Ex deals into vogue to get around PSR.

I'm not 100% on the deals rumoured. But can't fault his tenacity to innovate where needed to get us where he thinks we need to be.

Monchi definitely cooking something. Every player we’ve been linked with so far, there is a player going the opposite way.

Luiz to Juve, we sign two players
Tim to Everton, we sign Dobbin
Duran to Chelsea, we sign Maatsen

6 minutes ago, Farlz said:

We’ve used our noggin and decided to swap everyone so we can give a big middle finger to psr. I love it. 

Let's just hope we actually wanted the players we're getting and didn't just get what we could too fill a squad from whoever wanted our players.

I doubt that's how Monchi and Unai would ever work, but we don't know how bad our PSR position is yet

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Let's just hope we actually wanted the players we're getting and didn't just get what we could too fill a squad from whoever wanted our players.

I doubt that's how Monchi and Unai would ever work, but we don't know how bad our PSR position is yet

Yeah. I hope this is mostly building out the squad and freeing up cash to target 2/3 serious targets. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Don’t think it really matters if we wanted them. It’s looking pretty obvious these “swaps” are just a way to give us breathing room with PSR. I think we’re going to see our main targets come in after July and spend some serious dough.

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Yeah. I hope this is mostly building out the squad and freeing up cash to target 2/3 serious targets. 

I think it has to be this really, we really need to strengthen but also need a big squad to play 50+ games next season. Essentially we're trading to keep our squad size in place and freeing up funds to strengthen.

Edited by VillaJay
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Its a great window so far.

Time to get rid of Olsen, Carlos, cash, Digne and Moreno 

Not great at all. Losing one of our best players and signing lesser quality in return. Our midfield is going to be considerably weaker next season unless we pull out a marquee signing or 2 next month. 

Only one I'm excited about is Maatsen. Need more deals like that. 

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Not great at all. Losing one of our best players and signing lesser quality in return. Our midfield is going to be considerably weaker next season unless we pull out a marquee signing or 2 next month.

Short term we're weaker, but needs must and I'd imagine we're freeing ourselves up to target 2/3 first team signings whilst keeping our squad depth.

It seems quite smart considering our current PSR issues.

Just now, VillaJay said:

Short term we're weaker, but needs must and I'd imagine we're freeing ourselves up to target 2/3 first team signings whilst keeping our squad depth.

It seems quite smart considering our current PSR issues.

I'm just concerned we're bringing in all these 'squad' players to help sell players so we can meet PSR who we probably won't really play much in reality and will be looking to offload in a year or 2. The defensive midfielder that Juventus might now be including in the deal instead of McKennie looks a massive risk, he's not exactly that young at 23 either (a year older than Kamara was when he joined who had far more top level experience when he joined us).

If this deal goes through then next month we still need to buyL:

• Holding midfielder
  • Replacement for Luiz (unless he isn't going to be officially replaced)
  • Centre back (needed because Mings might not come back the same player, Carlos old, and Konsa tends to play right back)
  • Attacking player (preferably a player who can play as a 9 but also across the frontline - if Duran goes no backup to Watkins except Archer who I assume we sell)

So yeah, still loads of work to do and hopefully there is some money to spend from July 1st. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Oh, I don’t know mate, just another one of my classic Wednesdays.

Hang on, what day of the week did Buendia get injured? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I'm just concerned we're bringing in all these 'squad' players to help sell players so we can meet PSR who we probably won't really play much in reality and will be looking to offload in a year or 2. The defensive midfielder that Juventus might now be including in the deal instead of McKennie looks a massive risk, he's not exactly that young at 23 either (a year older than Kamara was when he joined who had far more top level experience when he joined us).

If this deal goes through then next month we still need to buyL:

• Holding midfielder
  • Replacement for Luiz (unless he isn't going to be officially replaced)
  • Centre back (needed because Mings might not come back the same player, Carlos old, and Konsa tends to play right back)
  • Attacking player (preferably a player who can play as a 9 but also across the frontline - if Duran goes no backup to Watkins except Archer who I assume we sell)

So yeah, still loads of work to do and hopefully there is some money to spend from July 1st. 

I'd expect a top cm will come in to dictate our tempo, I don't believe Barkley is being brought for that reason.

Another CB, we seem to be linked with Todibo, but Diego Carlos would probably need to be moved on.

Whoever we buy, I have trust in Unai to bring in players with technical ability to play the way he wants.

The swaps feel very opportunistic and help pad the squad out with young potential. We've also got Buendia, Mings, Ramsay to come in who played next to no minutes last season to add 3 more first team options.

• Like 1

We're interested in Lewis Dobbin from Everton as part of deal for Tom going there. Too much going on too many players. Brain can't keep up. 

35 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Only one I'm excited about is Maatsen. Need more deals like that. 

You don’t know this, you’re stating it as fact. We have no idea how good these incomings are. Monchi has a track record of bringing gems in out of nowhere so stop stating things as fact. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We're interested in Lewis Dobbin from Everton as part of deal for Tom going there. Too much going on too many players. Brain can't keep up. 

Yep a whole new thread about it already there, a busy summer it seems

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

You don’t know this, you’re stating it as fact. We have no idea how good these incomings are. Monchi has a track record of bringing gems in out of nowhere so stop stating things as fact. 

And @Pongo Waring was talking like it is fact that it is a great summer too when that is very clearly an opinion. Why don't you go and reproach him for his language and leave me alone.

Â