Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Just now, paul514 said:

Replace McKennie with Cheisa, I don't even think we need a left sided forward.... ANYTHING BUT McKennie!

You’d have to ask Unai and Monchi why they want McKennie, but I don’t think anyone would turn their noses up at Cheisa.

Weston McKennie makes Duran and Zanny seem like portraits of maturity and professionalism. Perhaps he's grown up a bit, but with Weston in the past, you always got lots of petulant melodrama and a lack of consideration for others. Not saying you can't be a football player and be that way, but it can be a big distraction. I can't see Unai having much patience for it. Still, again, maybe he's grown up?

One of the U.S. men’s national team’s most important players and biggest personalities, Weston McKennie, will be forced to miss the USA’s third World Cup qualifier in Honduras after he was sent home early following a violation of the team’s COVID-19 protocols, resulting in a suspension for the match against Canada.

The 23-year-old midfielder plays for one of the top teams in Italy and had emerged as a leader on the new-look USMNT, which included wearing the captain’s armband on occasion. With 25 appearances and seven goals from his central midfield position, McKennie was counted on to be a steady presence and difference-maker with his lung-busting runs out of midfield.

U.S. World Cup soccer star Weston McKennie wiped his sweaty hands on a photographer’s bib during the United States’ match against England on Friday.

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

I'm not taking the bait from the majority of your posts but if you actually watched that season the guy should have had at least a dozen assists. 

The finishing around the guy was absolutely, totally, stinking. 

Let say he did create loads of chances. Is it really down to luck that only 3 of them were converted?

Bailey got 4 assists that season, one more than Buendia. However he got slaughtered as being shit and must sold. Not," but he creates so many chances, it's down to our shit finishing."

It is fair to assume Bailey didn't create as many chances as Buendia. So why did he end up with more assists than the more prolific chance creator Buendia?

Luck evens it's self out. The previous season he had similar bad luck. Over two seasons is it really luck?

If you know how xG works then you know that different chances have a different xG. Penalties, for example have a 0.75 chance. Shots outside the box around 0.05. Why is this? It's because there are some chances that are better quality than others. 

The majority of chances Bailey creates are from low crosses and cut backs into the middle box between 3 to 15 yards out, as well as from rebounds from his shots. These are high quality chances. 

Buendia's obviously aren't as good. Why, because he is almost desperate to create something so he plays people in into positions that have low finishing prospects. Tight angles, long distance from goal, passes slightly behind so harder to get a good finish on. Another reason is playing in players in offside positions.

This idea that Buendia's assists are low because of bad luck is BS. It's because the chances he created that season simply weren't that great.

Like I say Buendia's biggest issue (apart from having little physical ability) is his decision making. If he just quickly recycled possession when the throughball isn't quickly identified and assessed as being at least a medium percentage chance to create, then he would be far more effective. Instead he holds on to ball looking for a killer ball for too long and gets dispossessed, or he forces the throughball and gives the ball away. 

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Tomori, Iling Junior, Tammy, Gallagher

What Chelsea academy player will be linked next?

Maso... never mind.

32 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Let say he did create loads of chances. Is it really down to luck that only 3 of them were converted?

Bailey got 4 assists that season, one more than Buendia. However he got slaughtered as being shit and must sold. Not," but he creates so many chances, it's down to our shit finishing."

It is fair to assume Bailey didn't create as many chances as Buendia. So why did he end up with more assists than the more prolific chance creator Buendia?

Luck evens it's self out. The previous season he had similar bad luck. Over two seasons is it really luck?

If you know how xG works then you know that different chances have a different xG. Penalties, for example have a 0.75 chance. Shots outside the box around 0.05. Why is this? It's because there are some chances that are better quality than others. 

The majority of chances Bailey creates are from low crosses and cut backs into the middle box between 3 to 15 yards out, as well as from rebounds from his shots. These are high quality chances. 

Buendia's obviously aren't as good. Why, because he is almost desperate to create something so he plays people in into positions that have low finishing prospects. Tight angles, long distance from goal, passes slightly behind so harder to get a good finish on. Another reason is playing in players in offside positions.

This idea that Buendia's assists are low because of bad luck is BS. It's because the chances he created that season simply weren't that great.

Like I say Buendia's biggest issue (apart from having little physical ability) is his decision making. If he just quickly recycled possession when the throughball isn't quickly identified and assessed as being at least a medium percentage chance to create, then he would be far more effective. Instead he holds on to ball looking for a killer ball for too long and gets dispossessed, or he forces the throughball and gives the ball away. 

Bailey and Buendia are different player , playing in different roles.

The main difference is Bailey is a winger , good on when counter attacking when there’s space on the wings with less defenders .. 

Buendia can play across midfield as a 10 or left side forward. 

When we were flying in Dec & most teams parked the bus against us , we were crying out for a 10 , like Buendia to have some creativity / cheeky pass ala Odergaad / Bruno etc to break thru. Also , I don’t think he’s weaker than Bruno / Odegaad etc he got dispossessed as there’s no intelligent movement in front  , no outlet and often left to fend for himself.

Every team needs a full type  of players , some like Bailey /Watkins / Diaby for quick counter attacking the big 6 and also the Buendia type for as creative 10 , against the smaller teams that super low block. 

Imho I feel he would improve massively under Emery , just like Bailey / Konsa / Ramsey / Watkins / Mcggin / Luis / Kamara did

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Tomori is a crucial player for Milan, that link is pure bait 

Think I'd  have probably said that last week about a transfer that involved swapping a top English club's crucial player for a couple of an Italian  club's squad players and a bit of extra money.  

But yes, it most probably is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Buendia was one of the top chance creators per 90 in the league that season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Bailey and Buendia are different player , playing in different roles.

The main difference is Bailey is a winger , good on when counter attacking when there’s space on the wings with less defenders .. 

Buendia can play across midfield as a 10 or left side forward. 

When we were flying in Dec & most teams parked the bus against us , we were crying out for a 10 , like Buendia to have some creativity / cheeky pass ala Odergaad / Bruno etc to break thru. Also , I don’t think he’s weaker than Bruno / Odegaad etc he got dispossessed as there’s no intelligent movement in front  , no outlet and often left to fend for himself.

Every team needs a full type  of players , some like Bailey /Watkins / Diaby for quick counter attacking the big 6 and also the Buendia type for as creative 10 , against the smaller teams that super low block. 

Imho I feel he would improve massively under Emery , just like Bailey / Konsa / Ramsey / Watkins / Mcggin / Luis / Kamara did

Buendia has played as a left winger for us. He links up quite well and can hurt teams when they stand off him, but the reality is he can't get into the spaces because he lacks the pace, trickery and dribbling to exploit those spaces.

Bruno is way quicker, stronger, bigger, better passer, better decision making. Basically better in everyway.  Odegaard is 5'10, and both quicker and strong than buendia. No way can Buendia play in central midfield. He can play as a wide midfielder, or behind the striker, He's been better for us off the left or behind Ollie. 

We were flying, so that implies we still got the results without him.

Like I said he can be useful, he is a decent player, but he isn't that good to be a regular for this Villa team.

Would anyone pick him ahead of Mcginn, Tielemens, Ramsey, Bailey, Diaby or Rogers? 

NO!

Why? Because he isn't good enough! He can play a role off the bench when we need a goal and are struggling to break teams down, but that is it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Buendia was one of the top chance creators per 90 in the league that season. 

But it didn't translate to assists because the chances weren't good enough, as the post of mine you responded to went to great length to explain.

Soooooo.....

Top chance creator

3 assists

Wonderful throughballs

3 assists

most creative player

3 assists

As strong as Bruno and Odegaard

3 assists

How does this work out?

I'll tell you now it isn't bad luck! 

Quantity doesn't equal quality!

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Buendia has played as a left winger for us. He links up quite well and can hurt teams when they stand off him, but the reality is he can't get into the spaces because he lacks the pace, trickery and dribbling to exploit those spaces.

Bruno is way quicker, stronger, bigger, better passer, better decision making. Basically better in everyway.  Odegaard is 5'10, and both quicker and strong than buendia. No way can Buendia play in central midfield. He can play as a wide midfielder, or behind the striker, He's been better for us off the left or behind Ollie. 

We were flying, so that implies we still got the results without him.

Like I said he can be useful, he is a decent player, but he isn't that good to be a regular for this Villa team.

Would anyone pick him ahead of Mcginn, Tielemens, Ramsey, Bailey, Diaby or Rogers? 

NO!

Why? Because he isn't good enough! He can play a role off the bench when we need a goal and are struggling to break teams down, but that is it. 

Philosopher, me and you are going to get along allllright. 

• Haha 2

Â