Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

So, if we assume Luiz is gone and Barkley and McKennie are in.  Next season midfield looks like:

LM - Buendia/Ramsey
CM - Tielemans/Barkley
DM - Kamara/????????
RM - McGinn/McKennie

You add Ugartè and one of Fofana/Baena to that list and we’re cooking 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

He is a technical player, but not super. He lacks the elite level decision making and game reading. People think he can be Bernardo Silva, but I don't see it decision making, ball carrying, or composure to be that good.

You are right. He played right midfield for Norwich. But we are seeing him as a left midfielder or no 10. This is mainly because he wasn't that God us when he played there and always looked more effect as a 10, or coming insdie off the left.

You like hyperbole don't you? Who said he "can be Bernardo Silva"? Nonsense. 
He's a good player with a number of qualities and we could have done with him on the bench at least last season. Just accept a good number of fans rate him higher than you do and move on. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, burchy said:

We all know that Buendia prefers to play wide right don’t we?!? How often has he played there for Villa?

He’s a super technical, tenacious little player, cut him a large slice of slack please people and let’s see how he does after his injury. You might find he slaps some of the haters on here…..

….or he’ll be really shit, one or the other probably 😎

He was good there for Norwich but won't work here as Unai wants left footed players that side and Bailey/Diaby are ahead of him. He could be good playing wide left and coming inside as he showed in preseason last summer.

I like aspects of his game and want him to come good, I'm not a hater, I just don't see what all the fuss is about based on his 2 seasons here so far and the amount of money we spent on him. You look at the progress Watkins has made from Championship to Premier League and it's night and day from that of Buendia who has mostly struggled. 

We need to be really critical of each and every player now to try to compete with the very best teams in the league and in Europe and the truth is if Buendia was at Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle or Liverpool let alone Arsenal or Man City they would be thinking of upgrading him with a better player. 

35 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Hell yeah! Wearing my merino socks right now

Tbf I wish I'd held onto the ones I brought back, cos it's been flipping freezing here for June. Maybe not far off where you are in winter. What part of NZ do you live in? 

8 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

You like hyperbole don't you? Who said he "can be Bernardo Silva"? Nonsense. 
He's a good player with a number of qualities and we could have done with him on the bench at least last season. Just accept a good number of fans rate him higher than you do and move on. 

Did i say people compared him to Silva - No. What I was saying is that how people talk about him, they seem to think he could become as good as Silva. Which is nodding towards the regard of him being hyperbole!

People can rate him and that’s fine, if they want dispute my opinion then I will dispute their's that is the essence of a fans forum.

Last summer when almost everyone was hammering Bailey and saying we should bin him off. I said he and Buendia's stats are very similar, and I believe Bailey has a higher ceiling (mainly due to his pace). I said that both players should be kept as squad players, and given a chance to prove they're better than what they have shown.

Fortunately Emery made his own mind up, kept Bailey, turned him into one of the best wingers in the league, and the rest is history.

Unfortunately Buendia has had a horrible injury and lost a season of his career. He will struggle this coming season, it's a hard road back from an ACL. So I wish him well and hope he can be the player he was and more. But I don’t see him being good enough for a champions league Aston Villa.

34 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Sell Duran, buy Tammy with money to spare?

Duran will be better than Tammy, and Tammy is coming back from a serious injury so won't be anywhere near his best until October at the earliest.

However Tammy will always score goals, and is a well rounded goal scorer. He would be a good signing at 20m or less, but the injury is a concern.

• Like 1

Tammy would be an excellent addition if he's fully fit. We got lucky with Ollie last season, had we had to start Duran for a run of games it wouldn't have worked.

12 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Duran will be better than Tammy, and Tammy is coming back from a serious injury so won't be anywhere near his best until October at the earliest.

However Tammy will always score goals, and is a well rounded goal scorer. He would be a good signing at 20m or less, but the injury is a concern.

He wouldn't be interested in joining us where he'd be backup. Better off joining West Ham where he'd be no1

35 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

He was good there for Norwich but won't work here as Unai wants left footed players that side and Bailey/Diaby are ahead of him. He could be good playing wide left and coming inside as he showed in preseason last summer.

I like aspects of his game and want him to come good, I'm not a hater, I just don't see what all the fuss is about based on his 2 seasons here so far and the amount of money we spent on him. You look at the progress Watkins has made from Championship to Premier League and it's night and day from that of Buendia who has mostly struggled. 

We need to be really critical of each and every player now to try to compete with the very best teams in the league and in Europe and the truth is if Buendia was at Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle or Liverpool let alone Arsenal or Man City they would be thinking of upgrading him with a better player. 

Every player improved under Emery. Based on your reasoning Buendia  won’t under a full pre and full season with Emery. He’s was clearly the best in our preseason before the injury. Watkins was only an average player under Gerrard and only come good under Emery , same for Bailey. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Tammy would be an excellent addition if he's fully fit. We got lucky with Ollie last season, had we had to start Duran for a run of games it wouldn't have worked.

Not really, Ollie doesn't get injured.

2 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Every player improved under Emery. Based on your reasoning Buendia  won’t under a full pre and full season with Emery. He’s was clearly the best in our preseason before the injury. Watkins was only an average player under Gerrard and only come good under Emery , same for Bailey. 

Well we don't know because Buendia got injured. I did acknowledge he looked better in preseason last summer. His injury stopped us seeing what he could do this season.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he can make a big improvement this season, but if he can't it's probably time to move him on next summer given his contract is up in 2026 and then buy someone better. 

58 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Sell Duran, buy Tammy with money to spare?

He will be a good signing for someone but hopefully it's not us.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He wouldn't be interested in joining us where he'd be backup. Better off joining West Ham where he'd be no1

That may well be true. But would West Ham sign a Tammy that won't be sharp till the new year, and not sign are striker?

I still think Amadou Onana would be a good signing.  Even if we sign McKenna and Barkley, we are still short on proper defensive midfielders, adding Gallagher on top would be overkill imo, we could get Onana maybe for £5m-£10m less if we take advantage of Everton's situation.  He's only 22 and an absolute unit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

He is useful, but there are better players we can get.

His last full season he scored 5 and got 3 assists. This is the guy who's throughballs are wonderful.

3 assists 

Wonderful throughballs

Let that sink in!

I'm not taking the bait from the majority of your posts but if you actually watched that season the guy should have had at least a dozen assists. 

The finishing around the guy was absolutely, totally, stinking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

You've cursed him now

Okay then, he very rarely gets injured. Because he spend his own money on an osteopath, and massage therapist to work with him after every game.

Â