Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Whilst absolutely everything we are reading is rumour and probably rubbish, I must admit this was not what I was envisaging!

We get to Champions League for first time in a generation and I'm exited for wild speculation of Mbappe, Vinicius Jnr and Messi... Instead we're to lose some top players and promising prospects and replace them with Ross Barkley and Weston McKennie!

Imagine if we'd finished 5th!!

Come on, it's all made up clickbait anyway, can't we have some excitement?!

Saw Rashica in the mailbox last night and he says he's coming home, m8.

(that better?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Dipped out of his wedding for 5 minutes to tell the Spanish media he wanted to move back to Spain 

got a link for that?

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Would absolutely LOVE him at Villa.  He's on the same level as Dougie, if not better.  Classy, classy midfielder who could be one of the best in the Prem under Emery.  

Merino? Someone is pulling the wool over your eyes

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, burchy said:

I’d go with

• Fofana or Wieffer
  • Geertruida or Teze
  • Maatsen or Gutierrez
  • Veerman or Merino
  • Pavlidis and Konate

For the Carlos replacement I’d get one of the young CBs in, perhaps Mosquera at Valencia. If Hermosa is a no go then I did like the look of that kid at Lorient. 

Definitely prefer your left backs to mine and Konate would be a brilliant move, but they would be more expensive. All depends on how much money we have. I think we can spend any profit we get from player sales (which looks like being around £100m) + another approx £50m on top which we can amortise into future years. We need to reduce our wages to turnover ratio too. Our revenue increasing to £300m+ in the next year or 2 should help massively with this though. 

14 hours ago, picicata said:

I would argue that when Konsa plays at RB our LB has massive freedom to get forward. Kind of like a wing back.

Konsa gets forward too, but he doesn't go to the byline. He doesn't usually go past the edge of the 18 yard box. The left back does. The conventional way to operate with two supporting / attacking fullbacks is when one is forward the other holds. When we play Konsa, he basically always holds so the left back can always get forward. It's still operating in a way a back four does. 

Only when Kamara plays do we see a back 3, but that's because when in possession Kamara plays as a half back and drops into the right centre back position. That's only when we have the ball. Out of possession we are have a back 4.

The left back is still required to do a lot of defending. 

Iling -Jr is a left winger. He can probably also play left midfield. He can do a job at wing back, for a Juve team that plays with 3 centre backs, and two defensive midfielders. But as a left back in the Premier league for a team that only has one defensive midfielder, that's a leap!

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Konsa gets forward too, but he doesn't go to the byline. He doesn't usually go past the edge of the 18 yard box. The left back does. The conventional way to operate with two supporting / attacking fullbacks is when one is forward the other holds. When we play Konsa, he basically always holds so the left back can always get forward. It's still operating in a way a back four does. 

Only when Kamara plays do we see a back 3, but that's because when in possession Kamara plays as a half back and drops into the right centre back position. That's only when we have the ball. Out of possession we are have a back 4.

Iling -Jr is a left winger. He can probably also play left midfield. He can do a job at wing back, for a Juve team that plays with 3 centre backs, and two defensive midfielders. But as a left back in the Premier league for a team that only has one defensive midfielder, that's a leap!

Which is odd because we already have Rogers and Ramsey in that position and Buendia is probably going to play there. If it was Chiesa I would understand as he’s better than anyone we’ve got and he can play both sides but Iling Jr only really made sense if Ramsey was being sold rather than Luiz.

I think Iling Jr is a talent but it just leaves our left sided options very crowded with no real standout player (other than Ramsey when he’s fit and in form). Unless they genuinely looking to turn Iling Jr into an attacking left back which is possible.

33 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Which is odd because we already have Rogers and Ramsey in that position and Buendia is probably going to play there. If it was Chiesa I would understand as he’s better than anyone we’ve got and he can play both sides but Iling Jr only really made sense if Ramsey was being sold rather than Luiz.

I think Iling Jr is a talent but it just leaves our left sided options very crowded with no real standout player (other than Ramsey when he’s fit and in form). Unless they genuinely looking to turn Iling Jr into an attacking left back which is possible.

We don't play with an out and out winger on the left. Ramsey is also a central midfielder not just a left winger / midfielder. We have all seen Rogers do his best work when picking the ball up in a central position. I personally see Rogers lining up just behind Watkins.  Iling-Jr defends well for a winger, which is what you want if you left back is constantly getting forward and not such a good defender.

In addition what you see is Emery wants versatility. Iling-Jr is versatile. We may see him as a left back if desperate. But we will probably see see him as a left wing back because we will line up with a back 5 on occasions.

Ramsey can play 4 positions. Rogers 3  positions, Iling-Jr 3 positions, Diaby 4 positions, Mckennie 5 positions, McGinn 5 positions, Tielemens 3 positions, Bailey 3 positions. Versatility and flexibility are what Emery needs as he is a tactical manager who likes to tweak and adapt depending on the opposition and as the game develops. It all helps fluidity as the 3 behind the striker can easily pop up in each others positions. The wide men can drop in to the fullback position comfortably if the play gets turned when the fullback is up by the byline.

Modern football requires player to be comfortable in several area of the pitch. The fullback has to be comfortable in the winger position, and even in central midfield. The DM has to be comfortable as an 8 or a centre back. The winger in the fullback position and / or the opposite wing. Only centre backs are the exception, as they have to hold position. But even that is changing now and Emery is part of that, look at Pau Torres.

Edited by Philosopher

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We don't play with an out and out winger on the left. Ramsey is also a central midfielder not just a left winger / midfielder. We have all seen Riger do his best work when picking the ball up in a central position. I personally see Rogers lining up just behind Watkins.  Iling-Jr defends well for a winger, which is what you want if you left back is constantly getting forward and not such a good defender.

In addition what you see is Emery want versatility. Iling-Jr is versatile. We may see him as a left back if desperate. But we will probably see see him as a left wing back, because we will line up with a back 5 on occasions.

Ramsey can play 4 positions. Rogers 3  positions, Iling-Jr 3 positions, Diaby 4 positions, Mckennie 5 positions, McGinn 5 positions, Tielemens 3 positions, Bailey 3 positions. Versatility and flexibility is what Emery needs as he is a tactical manager that like to tweak and adapt depending on the opposition, and as the game develops. It all helps fluidity as the 3 behind the striker can easily pop up in each others positions. The wide men can drop in to the fullback position comfortably if the play gets turned when the fullback is up by the byline.

Modern football requires player to be comfortable in several area of the pitch. The fullback has to be comfortable in the winger position, and even in central midfield. The DM has to be comfortable as an 8 or a centre back. The winger in the fullback position and / or the opposite wing. Only centre backs are the exception, as they have to hold position. But even that is changing now and Emery is part of that, look at Pau Torres.

Ramsey plays as an inverted left winger in our system. He hasn’t played CM since the days of Slippy in a 4-3-3 but we don’t play that any more. He would never play in a double pivot. Rogers as a 10 I don’t see it, he isn’t creative enough, that will be Tielemans or Buendia as it stands with McGinn able to cover there too. I don’t want to see Diaby as a 10 next season at all, he’s ineffective there. 

We have versatile players but the way I see it we essentially now have three left sided options unless Iling jr is going to be used mainly as an attacking left back.

33 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We don't play with an out and out winger on the left. Ramsey is also a central midfielder not just a left winger / midfielder. We have all seen Riger do his best work when picking the ball up in a central position. I personally see Rogers lining up just behind Watkins.  Iling-Jr defends well for a winger, which is what you want if you left back is constantly getting forward and not such a good defender.

In addition what you see is Emery want versatility. Iling-Jr is versatile. We may see him as a left back if desperate. But we will probably see see him as a left wing back, because we will line up with a back 5 on occasions.

Ramsey can play 4 positions. Rogers 3  positions, Iling-Jr 3 positions, Diaby 4 positions, Mckennie 5 positions, McGinn 5 positions, Tielemens 3 positions, Bailey 3 positions. Versatility and flexibility is what Emery needs as he is a tactical manager that like to tweak and adapt depending on the opposition, and as the game develops. It all helps fluidity as the 3 behind the striker can easily pop up in each others positions. The wide men can drop in to the fullback position comfortably if the play gets turned when the fullback is up by the byline.

Edit: double post 

Edited by Leeroy

34 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Ramsey plays as an inverted left winger in our system. He hasn’t played CM since the days of Slippy in a 4-3-3 but we don’t play that any more. He would never play in a double pivot. Rogers as a 10 I don’t see it, he isn’t creative enough, that will be Tielemans or Buendia as it stands with McGinn able to cover there too. I don’t want to see Diaby as a 10 next season at all, he’s ineffective there. 

We have versatile players but the way I see it we essentially now have three left sided options unless Iling jr is going to be used mainly as an attacking left back.

Totally disagree on Rogers. He isn't a 10 like Buendia, he is a ball carrying monster, that is a really clever finisher, he can also hold up the ball. His ball carrying is best through the centre as he is comfortable on both feet and strong and well balanced. As a 10 he is more of a shadow striker rather than a playmaker. But we use deep lying playmakers, so we don't need our 10 to do that. He also see the throughballs, and has the technique to improve in that area. He is way better than Buendia. And going forward better than Mcginn, he also is a good presser. On the left Rogers is really bad at covering / protecting the fullback.

Diaby's early season form as a 10 / SS was very good. And he always popped up with goals and assists, so I believe your assessment is very harsh.

Ramsey can play left wing, left midfield, and central midfield. He play Central midfield under Smith too and that's how he broke into the first team, as a central midfielder. We could also play him as a 10.

Also Buendia isn't that good and is coming off a bad injury and won't be back up to speed until the new year. With his injury problems this season Ramsey barely player and as a result there was a clear deficiency in that position. Rogers alleviated that but when he got injured it was the same thing again. 

Both Mckennie and Iling-Jr are being brought in for their versatility, not really for one specific position. However we need another left winger that's for sure, and Iling-Jr covers that.

Also we have two left backs, and Betis haven't got the money to spend 7 to 8 million on a left back. If Hermoso comes in we have a 3rd player that can play there. 

Edited by Philosopher

12 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Totally disagree on Rogers. He isn't a 10 like Buendia, he is a ball carrying monster, that is a really clever finisher, he can also hold up the ball. His ball carrying is best through the centre as he is comfortable on both feet and strong and well balanced. As a 10 he is more of a shadow striker rather than a playmaker. But we use deep lying playmakers, so we don't need our 10 to do that. He also see the throughballs, and has the technique to improve in that area. He is way better than Buendia. And going forward better than Mcginn, he also is a good presser. On the left Rogers is really bad at covering / protecting the fullback.

Diaby's early season form as a 10 / SS was very good. And he always popped up with goals and assists, so I believe your assessment is very harsh.

Ramsey can play left wing, left midfield, and central midfield. He play Central midfield under Smith too and that's how he broke into the first team, as a central midfielder. We could also play him as a 10.

Also Buendia isn't that good and is coming off a bad injury and won't be back up to speed until the new year. With his injury problems this season Ramsey barely player and as a result there was a clear deficiency in that position. Rogers alleviated that but when he got injured it was the same thing again. 

Both Mckennie and Iling-Jr are being brought in for their versatility, not really for one specific position. However we need another left winger that's for sure, and Iling-Jr covers that.

Also we have two left backs, and Betis haven't got the money to spend 7 to 8 million on a left back. If Hermoso comes in we have a 3rd player that can play there. 

Man really said Buendia isn't that good...

• Like 1

The reality is we just don’t know how good Buendia will be post-recovery. The same goes for Ty and Bouba. Sports science is so advanced these days, but with those sorts of injuries, we just don’t know.,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Personally I think he will be signed to play as an attacking left back, I feel Unai will see him in that role. Obviously we'll find out if we do sign him.

Hi. I am Italian and I know well the Serie A. Sorry if I am a bit hard, but you got robbed by Juventus. McKennie and Iling are two very average players and with only 1 year of contract left. Juve was desperate to sell them but nobody want to buy. You sell one of your your best players after reaching the Champions League: crazy. Terrible work by Monchi (he already works a disaster with Roma).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

He could play as second striker where Diaby was playing yeah. We did play with a deep lying playmaker with Dougie, we don’t have that currently until he’s replaced. But we also played Tielemans and McGinn in advanced midfield positions to create. Tielemans was really good there and better than in a deeper role in my opinion.

I don’t think I’ve been harsh on Diaby, he didn’t have a great season and he played better at Leverkusen as a winger. He always looked lost playing as a 10/second striker in my opinion and we didn’t get the best out of him.

I agree Ramsey can play centre mid but we haven’t played him there for a long time and I don’t think Emery sees him there. He starts on the left then drifts inside to be a 10 when we have the ball.

Betis can’t afford £7-8m? You do know they spent £30m last season on players? If they want Moreno back I’m sure they could afford him.

6 minutes ago, jigen said:

Hi. I am Italian and I know well the Serie A. Sorry if I am a bit hard, but you got robbed by Juventus. McKennie and Iling are two very average players and with only 1 year of contract left. Juve was desperate to sell them but nobody want to buy. You sell one of your your best players after reaching the Champions League: crazy. Terrible work by Monchi (he already works a disaster with Roma).

Here in England we have a fantastic phrase. “Opinions are like arseholes, we all have them.”

• Haha 3

Â